Copyright laws

Got questions about this site or anything related to it? There ya go.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Drew_Matson

Copyright laws

Postby Drew_Matson » Wed May 18, 2005 5:20 pm

Hey

I want to start up a website for my animations and would like to know about copyright laws. In many of my animations, there are parts of songs or the entire song from various artists. On my website, I would like to post my animations and sell some products like shirts and posters to raise money.

So the question is, is this lawful? Do I need to get written permission from every musical artist that is on my site?

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Wed May 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Yes it is, as long as you tell people who made the song and dont copyright it to yourselfe. Making money with other artist´s stuff is illegal as everybody knows.

Also, songs etc. made by other people, becomes freeware after 90 years of artist´s death.

Go business institute 8)

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 pm

ArdiZt wrote:Yes it is, as long as you tell people who made the song and dont copyright it to yourself

that's not quite correct... actually the usage of songs without the permission of the artist (or whoever owns the rights) is illegal. No matter if you just show it for free or sell it.

BUT usually they will leave you alone, unless you try to make money by eg. selling your movies on dvd.

(selling posters & merchandise doesnt break any copyright laws since the graphics exist on their own, also without the music.)

Return to “Questions”