The Elder Scrolls

If you want to talk about video games, here's the place for it.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

The Elder Scrolls

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Recently I received a computer game as a gift called 'The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion'. It's the 4th game in a series known as The Elder Scrolls. A 5th installment is underway and is expected to be released later.

I was quite impressed with Oblivion - quite a bit more content then I expected a game to have. For those who don't know about the game, it's a single player RPG of the Action Fantasy genre. The game is open-ended so players are fairly free to follow whatever path they choose and players can travel anywhere in the world at anytime - so long as they have visited the place before or are moving to a city.

In any case though, I'm wondering if anyone else has played the game or one of its predecessors and would mind giving me some insight into what the other games hold.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:31 pm

The previous games are like oblivion, except not as good.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:49 pm

the previous game is like oblivion, except with character, a real and original feel and mythos, a logical setting, and a good story.
Music over Matter

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 am

From what I could tell, Oblivion had a good story - albeit it was very short, and the meat of the game was in the side quests. Would that be similar to the others or were the side quests in the other series less prevalent?
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am

good story? from a technical standpoint, it was rubbish, you're nothing more as a gofer when some other character gets all the important stuff.
from a captivating standpoint it's boring, it's nothing more than people telling you "do this, do that", no real mystery, plot twists, anything.
the tale itself is boring as could be as well.
basically the main quest in OB is horrible any way you look at it. the dark brotherhood questline however, is pretty damn good.

well, in morrowind, you still had side quests, i'm pretty sure there were MORE of them than in OB, by comparison. however, the main quest actually was a main quest, it was epic, grand. i prefer both the side quests and the main quests in MW.
the great thing about MW was the feel though, and the diversity. oblivion is basically fields with some trees, or a city, no real swamps (yes, there are swamps, but they look no different), no real difference between one kind of forest and the next. the biggest difference is the snowy parts.
MW however, has swamps, forests, mountains, and cities so diverse and iconic they become part of you.
show me a an MW building, and i can tell you from which city it is.

the biggest downside these days is the graphics, they haven't faired too well. at least the characters, i personally LIKE the other graphics, but the bodies are just rubbish.

still, a lot of that's solvable with mods.
Music over Matter

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:51 am

I have Morrowind, and I thought the game was fucking boring. It didn't show many anything to stand it apart from other RPGs. Hell, Runescape was better, and I fucking hate Runescape.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:06 am

I suppose when you put it that way, yes the story is rubbish, however it isn't exactly the story then that was good about the game, but rather the portrayal between that of the Gods and the Daedric Lords. IE, the questioning of worship between the two entities and what it is that is worth fighting for rather then who you are fighting for. What is good about the main quest is that it raises questions regarding what your doing.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:56 am

People who think Morrowind is boring are complete fucking video game morons and should off themselves in whatever game it is that they think is better. Morrowind is for people who actually appreciate the immersiveness of RPGs instead of just playing a game. There was so much micromanagement. I liked that armor consisted of actual pieces of armor instead of one item covering the entire torso, shoulders, and arms, etc. And the storyline was breathtakingly captivating. I literally spent like five hours of gameplay time just collecting and reading books on the mythos of the game, in-game. I hope Skyrim is like a Nordic Morrowind. I don't want any more Oblivions.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 pm

zyn, for one, play it on pc if you haven't before.
and one of mw's weakest points is giving you a proper start, it basically throws you into the world without any clear goal. much like in real life, you need to find your own, if you're not directly gonna follow the main questline and go to balmora. for maximum enjoyment, you should play MW like you actually live there though. talk to people, explore, read, live.

davion, hardly, compared to MW's questline, it's good enough for some epic novels, i'd think. OB really really isn't.

voly, i couldn't agree more.
Music over Matter

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:30 pm

I still have for PC. I actually got through several quests and explored most of the southern hemisphere of the world (even finding that strange ziggurat{SP?} town in the swamp), but I eventually just got sick of it for the aforementioned reason of "nothing I haven't seen before". Personally, the game reminded me of an offline version of Kronos and Last Chaos mixed together.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm

It reminded me of the most immersive game I've ever played. I put like 400 hours into it. I only wish you could buy houses and such in MW instead of just killing someone and stealing their house. Which is the only point Oblivion had against MW. And it wasn't even a big one.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:36 pm

voly, mods. there are so many great great mods out there.
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 pm

I always manage to fuck my game up with mods. I prefer to just play them how they're programmed.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:28 pm

you need a decent selection, and a bit of attention when installing them for the first couple of times.
with MW, it enhances it a LOT (body mods, quest mods, gameplay mods, graphic mods)
with OB, you NEED them (darn UI for one, without it the interface is horrible... ever tried finding that one item out of a 1000, with only about 5 items at a time?).
check the beth forums, and tesnexus, there's usually a list there somewhere.
Music over Matter

Return to “Video Games”