Dead Island

If you want to talk about video games, here's the place for it.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Palmer
damaged
damaged

Dead Island

Postby Palmer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:44 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwtr_-4vz6g[/youtube]

The video is technically in reverse order, by the way. The official trailer starts at the end with the dead girl and reverses to the beginning.
Same thing either way, though.

Some info on gameplay, characters, etc.

Code: Select all

[b]Gameplay:[/b]
Dead Island will feature open world gameplay, played from a first person perspective, with up to four-player co-operative play. The focus will be on melee combat, incorporating customizable weaponry and RPG elements.

There is an experience system and a skill tree system. There is also a stamina bar, meaning that after a set amount of action with a weapon, the character will need to stop to regain their stamina before continuing to attack. It has also been confirmed that there are "special class" zombies, which are more powerful than the standard enemies.

[b]Characters:[/b]
The names of the four playable characters in Dead Island are Xian Mei (a staff member at the hotel), Logan (a surfer), Sam B (a former rapper) and Purna. All four are in the Hero category. The four characters are immune to the zombie infection.

[b]Plot:[/b]
The game is set in the Royal Palms Resort, in fictional Banoi, located in Papua New Guinea.

The character wakes up during the night after partying, to find there has been a zombie outbreak.

The first mission serves as the tutorial. The character is trapped in a beach hut with other terrified survivors. One person begs the character to go outside and help a lone person fending off the horde. The character then picks up a lead pipe and walks outside.

The zombies have fully-modelled layers of meat and muscle rendered onto their bodies, meaning they have a multi-layered damage system with real-time injuries.

The way I understand it, based on the above info, it seems like this is what "I Am Legend" would be if they made a game out of it, but with real zombies. :D
Open world FPS with an XP/leveling system, I'll definitely have to look in to this when it comes out.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 am

Love zombie games.

Can't wait for my daughter to jump on my back and start biting me
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 am

ash, if that's the reference i think it is, you read awesome comics.

curious about this game, interesting to say the least.
Music over Matter

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 am

Just watched the original trailer (the reversed one) and holy shit it's beautiful. Looking forward to see how this game turns out.

Palmer wrote:The way I understand it, based on the above info, it seems like this is what "I Am Legend" would be if they made a game out of it, but with real zombies. :D

Arrr... never mention this monstrosity of a movie again. I rarely whine about movies based on books, but this one just raped the core essence of the book inside out.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:29 am

And the movie wasn't even good to make the adaptation worth while.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:20 am

AW HELL NAH!
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:34 am

OH NO HE DID'NT!

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Every film needs Will Smith.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Palmer
damaged
damaged

Postby Palmer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm

HeRetiK wrote:Arrr... never mention this monstrosity of a movie again. I rarely whine about movies based on books, but this one just raped the core essence of the book inside out.

You didn't like I am Legend? Haha. Either way, that's what it reminds me of- thinking if that were a game. :P

Return to “Video Games”