Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, and so Much More

If you want to talk about video games, here's the place for it.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, and so Much More

Postby Davion Fuxa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Games are coming out of the woodwork this Fall. Anyone getting any of the games coming out?

I was thinking about Battlefield 3 though I'm going to take a wait and see approach before buying it. Might consider Modern Warfare 3.

Keep in mind that these aren't the only games either - Gears of War 3 is another one coming out, Rage as well.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:20 pm

not usually overly into manshoots. gonna get rage though.
DXHR was fun, for recent first person games with guns, though not quite as good as the original (and easy).
played some dead island, bug fest, and the combat clearly doesn't fit too well on the pc. it's got a rather detailed system for damage and the like, and crippling limbs, but it's rather impossible to target well.
Music over Matter

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 am

ME 3 is coming in November.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:29 am

yeah :(
if it was anything like ME1 i'd be excited, but they said they're gonna make it like me2 only more about shooting dudes. me2 had a horrible story, it's tough imagining they'll make it worse, but by now i think they will.
Music over Matter

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm already licking my fingers for GoW 3 :9

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:05 am

Also, bring on the skyrim!
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 am

aw hell yeah. i hope it's not just gonna be oblivion 2.0, but even if, i'll greatly enjoy it.
still wouldn't beat morrowind though. that game had style.
Music over Matter

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 am

I haven't got any of the games I'm looking into yet but it looks like they are all doing pretty well. Reviewers are liking Skyrim, Battlefield 3 is rocking and rolling, and Call of Duty 3 is holding firm as the king of FPS. It's a good time to be a gamer!
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:55 am

Just finished MW3 in x box...... awesome, just awesome.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 am

skyrim is great, sunk way too much of my time into it. done all questlines b ut the main one, and a good deal of on-off sidequests too.

most fun i had with a game this year is STILL bastion though, i'm suprirsed to say. if you ever want a shortish game with flair, play it.
Music over Matter

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:29 pm

SKyrim is steam...... grrrrrrrrrr

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:01 pm

yeah, i was okay with that, didn't like it, but figured fair enough.
then beth released a minipatch that just tightened the DRM part of it though, disabling a slew of mods in the process. assholes.
Music over Matter

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Skyrim's alright. I've been chucking time at AC Revelations, myself. It's essentially the previous game in a new location and a few years in the future. Still, as a fan of the series, I'm okay with that.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 am

skyrim removed all pretense of ingame roleplaying, the dialogues weren't trees, all your side of the conversation basically amounted to a <continue> button. also the interface is horrid even beyond oblivion's, quite an achievement.
i didn't much like the questlines, mostly how quickly they finished (between 4 and 12 quests or something), and that all of them had a sucky (or even non-) ending.
didn't like the spell system, if i want a gout of flame, i'm stuck doing 8 damage, there's no real upscaled version, it's like this with all the spells.
no more making your own spells, either, and enchantment's been neutered.
armor choice is now even more limited than oblivion (where they removed a couple of item choices already), now you got armor, gloves, boots, and hat. not much room for customizability.
characters are still shallow, lacking, well, character.
the world feels a lot smaller than oblivion's, in many ways.
i dislike how there's few real unique items, and they all suck because you get randomized magic loot at every dungeon you visit that is at least equal, and since the dungeons and loot scales as you level, it's trivial to get the next best mace/dagger by just doing a dungeon.

despite all that, it's still my second favourite elder scrolls game (with a leap of distance after morrowind). why?
it's basically oblivion 2.0, excepting the previously mentioned faults. the world, while smallish, is compact, it's full, oblivion's had a lot of empty space, and wasn't varied, skyrim is.
it's got character, it's got style. it's not cookie cutter fantasy, it is, in many ways, a lot closer to morrowind. the combat system is a bit more fun (though still nowhere near say mount and blade), it's fleshed out.
the ui is being modded as we speak, improved magic is coming up too, and will be done within a week of the CS being released (mod tools are awesome. mods are the sole reason the elder scrolls is one of the best series of games made).

wow, didn't mean to go all minireview there.
Music over Matter

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Ashreal wrote:ME 3 is coming in November.

November what year ??? Release date here is March 6th 2012.

Can't wait !!! Az I loved ME2 ... I hated Dragon Age and quit it for the second time.

I need a " good " rpg to carry me till March.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:08 pm

You should try deus ex : human revolution. It was worthy.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

I read it over ... can I pirate it? What is the big complaint about the " boss fights" all about?
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 pm

they suck.
why? 'cause they're shooty shooty bossfights, which doesn't fit the whole "rpg" thing at all.
if you ignore those however, one of the best games of the decade.
Music over Matter

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm

The boss fights were outsourced to a company that had rather little idea of what Deus Ex is all about. And I wish I was joking.

But yeah, be aware that the boss fights require you to take lethal action and glitch / spam your way past them and you actually got a rather decent RPG.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53 pm

yeah, it's sad.
still, at least they got a good story, unlike assassin's creed *shivers*.
AC1 excluded.
the bossfights were easy enough, but the whole premise of them made my eye twitch. my char would not get babed into a freaking mook battle. my character would not walk by uncloaked.
also the ending boils down to a "choose which ending you want" in the end, which is the shame.
Music over Matter

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 am

I loved sneaking around, waiting for people to pass by, doing take down and hiding the bodies. So much fun.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:19 am

I was a big fan of the tranquilizer gun.

1. Tranquilize guy
2. Wait for it... wait for it...
3. "Hey, what's wrong with you?".
4. GoTo 1.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:48 am

Did cause the police station in detroit to be asleep with the tranq gun, good times.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Fuck me .... now I remember ... I started playing that game once upon a time. I thought the name sounded familar. Now I am not sure what happened to it or why I quit playing it. Hmmmm... Most of the time if a game fails to grab me pretty quick I just quit playing it.

If I remember correctly the first thing that pissed me off was they forced me to play as a male. Think Half Life did that too but I liked and finished that one.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 pm

it has a rather strong story though, one where you can't just genderswap, it's logical.
Music over Matter

Return to “Video Games”