Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

If you want to talk about video games, here's the place for it.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Postby Davion Fuxa » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:36 pm

So I've been busy with Roguelike games this summer, and the one to follow Dwarf Fortress is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I know I mentioned I played it but I figured I'd note it a little more heavily since I'm 'STILL PLAYING' it.

Castle of the Winds is of course the roguelike I played first, but Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup features a similar sort of gameplay and grabs a lot of ideas from Castle of the Winds. It also features God Worship, more complicated mechanics for spells, skills, food, and items; while retaining a good feel for a roguelike.

Anyone else follow this game? They also have a tournament going on at the moment - though that's ended on Nov 4.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Only roguelike I've ever gotten much into is Dungeons of Dredmor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTfUnnxZV4[/youtube]

Other than that, some would say The Binding of Isaac and FTL are designed in the spirit of roguelikes, and both are really great games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9au_e0im0aM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4imWvoqxmc[/youtube]
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 pm

I noticed FTL, looks like a good game though I forwent buying it since it didn't seem to offer much outside a day's worth of gameplay.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 am

Oh, I'm not sure about that. It may be simple but the learning curve is a little steep if you forgo looking up tips online.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:48 am

Davion Fuxa wrote:I noticed FTL, looks like a good game though I forwent buying it since it didn't seem to offer much outside a day's worth of gameplay.

I would disagree. I've sunk over 30 hours into it, and still haven't unlocked all of the ship variants (base classes in most other games, or "gods" if you want to get all POWDER on my ass). It's quite a lot of fun, although it does have a "the final boss is 1000% less fair than anything else in the game" issue.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 am

I think you can sink an endless amount of time into FTL. The learning curve is actually quite okay if you play in easy mode first.

jiger
latency
latency

Postby jiger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:55 am

I think you can sink an endless amount of time into FTL. The learning curve is actually quite okay if you play in easy mode first.

We offer up to date ccna boot camp exam practice questions with network+ pdf paced test engine to help you pass ccna networking - pass4-sure exam and complete your www.bentley.edu you should also find University of Hawaii training for your complete task in Southwestern College

Return to “Video Games”