What Makes Good Let's Plays

If you want to talk about video games, here's the place for it.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

What Makes Good Let's Plays

Postby Davion Fuxa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Maybe this will be seen as shameless advertising for my YouTube Channel, but the point of this thread really is talk about what makes a Good Let's Play - ie, a video recording with live or post commentary revolving around gameplay. Anyhow, a link to DavionFuxa's YouTube Channel can be found here.

So I've been doing Let's Play for about the past half year. I started to do them for Dwarf Fortress because at the time there was few videos for the Adventure Mode aspect of the game. Can't say the videos were all that good but I eventually improved as time went by and learned a bit about recording settings. The focus of my videos have mostly revolved around Rogue-likes, though this will likely change since I plan to expand my focus into other genres sooner or later.

My videos are Monetized, and part of the reason I started making Let's Plays is to learn about the Monetization settings that YouTube offers and how it all works. For Video Recording software I use BB Flashback Express Recorder (for more Desktop Oriented Games) and Fraps (for everything else). There really is no focus on how long I keep my videos so sometimes they can be quite long or quite short - though this may vary between games.

The Question as per the title, mostly revolves around what people find makes for a good Let's Play video; so I can perhaps look into applying such concepts to improving my own videos to improve them. At this point I've incorporated a few practices in my recent videos, but I'm wondering if there is more I could do?
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Humor, not being afraid to fuck up or go outside of the norm for the game, laughing at yourself for doing so, find out if you're playing the game just to play and talk or if you're looking to be instructive (it doesn't work doing both).

I've been wanting to fuck around with my own channel but don't have a good enough system. These are things I've thought of to make for better videos.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:06 pm

i spend way too much time on youtube watching gaming videos.

i think it just comes down to being a likeable person. you shouldn't "try" to be a better let's player, just be yourself. if you're doing it for any reason other than you enjoy it, then you're doing it wrong.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 am

Exactly. Look how popular the Game Grumps are. They suck at video games and whilst playing sometimes hardly talk about it, but they're some of the most popular youtube 'letsplayers' (though I dont think theyd call themselves that) on the web.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQX85Cui0s[/youtube]

(in case you hadn't seen)
Is there a promised land

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 am

see, i feel like those guys are trying too hard and just come off as obnoxious.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 am

The thing is they really aren't. To each their own.
Is there a promised land

Return to “Video Games”