I'm new. I'm lost. I'm scared.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:45 am

If we didnt have labels, how would you know what flavour you were buying?

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:52 am

Exactly. Anti-Labelism needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Seriously.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:59 am

a grain of salt?
I love labelling. And label-making machines :D

Frank Sino.
distorted
distorted

Postby Frank Sino. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:43 pm

so far only 9 posts

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:44 pm

The problem arises when people are prejudice and label others based upon what they see, and not the underlying facts. You should be making an informed statement before you're quick to judge someone's attributes.

Making general statements about a particular label, and not the person associated to it, is alright though.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:30 pm

ya, the problem i've got with over labeling isn't as much the labeling itself, but the fact that when some people do that, they cease to look at the rest.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:11 pm

The thing is, there are so many people who really do conform to these labels and stereotypes, whether they mean to or not. It's just that their personal ego prevents them from seeing that they have become nothing more than an archetype. Examples include most emo kids, most preppy girls, and most jock boys.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

rainboo
divine
divine

Postby rainboo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:19 pm

ok hi :)
TALK SHIT GET HIT.

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:56 pm

I keep telling myself that I don't fall into a particular type.. But the more I look at myself, the more I see myself being pulled in seperate directions by all kinds of cultural influence. From the clothes I wear to foods I eat, they all fit into a particular sterotype, really... I guess it is better to be imersed in multiple forms of comformation as opposed to upholding to one absolute label.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:03 am

i wouldn't know if i would fit into a stereotype, perhaps geek/nerd or something, but that wouldn't really be accurate, then again, maybe it would and i just don't realize it, every person has a certain amount of bias when it comes to themselves.

jack, yeah, unfortunately, half of this damn town fits way too neat into stereotypes, the half that's below 40..

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:23 am

Jack wrote:The thing is, there are so many people who really do conform to these labels and stereotypes, whether they mean to or not.

"Preppy girls" and "Jock boys" as you call them dont exist in my country. Elaborate? From across the internets I acknowledge that I dont really know, but you probably fit as the most stereotypical person in this forum. But thats probably just because youre the most predictable.
Everyones a label and a stereotype. Thats culture for ya. Just some more than others. But others still a lot.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:13 am

yeah, but honestly, school dumbs you down, a lot, you should see the lengths people go to to fit in, to conform, those that still retain their personality on the inside, are miserable, those that retain it on the outside, get ridiculed,
it's no wonder you fit what's been given to you, it's hard to cope otherwise.

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:01 pm

The best thing you can do is to conform to a certain degree.. Just enough to have good life skills, but not enough to be considered of a particular type of person. Even though I wear preppy clothing and and a suit at work, most people wouldn't realize that I enjoy listening to Twiztid, Necro, and other types of unconventional music.

Infact, I think I'll imeem some Phychopathic Rydas right now.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:43 am

yeah, it's tough though, for some, on some occasions, i actually doubt about it myself, if it'd be worth it, but i just want to walk around in a leather jacket, open, in winter, because it feels like it's too warm already, without being stared at, bullied, or otherwise thoroughly annoyed because im not wearing shoes or a shirt.

i guess that's a utopia though huh? a world where people can just live and let live.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:13 am

Astica wrote:
Jack wrote:The thing is, there are so many people who really do conform to these labels and stereotypes, whether they mean to or not.

"Preppy girls" and "Jock boys" as you call them dont exist in my country. Elaborate? From across the internets I acknowledge that I dont really know, but you probably fit as the most stereotypical person in this forum. But thats probably just because youre the most predictable.

Being predictable is not the same as being a stereotype.

(BTW, how can you call me unpredictable and random over PM and then call me "predictable" in a forum post?)

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 am

When did I call you unpredictable and random over pm?

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 am

could be about different things, posting habit vs eating habit or something like that.

lihana_15
latency
latency

Postby lihana_15 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:39 pm

with so much going on in the industry i think sterotyping and labeling go along the same lines...in fact people sterotype those who are different but those who look exactly like them they would not judge among themselves because the are comfortable. when they see someone different they are uncomfortable with the new person who looks in the slightest different.
****only love......can hold u back****
****i am and forever will be Free****

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 pm

People need to feel like them out there. If there we'rent stereotypes, it'd be hard to find friends that have stuff in common with you. It's too bad more people don't believe in difference of opinion, and get bored with people that are into different things than them.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:05 am

Astica wrote:When did I call you unpredictable and random over pm?

The exact quote is rather incriminating, and would probably threaten my reputation with a certain friend of mine here. I will respond to this question over PM.

____

lihana_15
latency
latency

Postby lihana_15 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:10 pm

why dont u just say it here, i for one wont hink anything bad of it
****only love......can hold u back****

****i am and forever will be Free****

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:07 pm

he said a mate of his would be.
i might not think less, you might not, but his closer friends count a bit more, don't ya think?

stapledxlungs
damaged
damaged

Postby stapledxlungs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:05 am

haiiii, im new too ^^

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:28 am

You should make your own thread for this. But hey, you don't have to. It's your choice. Just as long as you read these guidelines, you should be okay.

____

Locke11
divine
divine

Postby Locke11 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:33 am

Afflu3nc3 wrote:Making general statements about a particular label, and not the person associated to it, is alright though.

Like Jews have big noses, are money grubbing, stingy, and sacrifice Christians to their evil god? That's ok? Whew... I was worried about all those public opinions and shit. Nice to know someone on the internet cleared up things like that.
Racial profiling will continue with less bitching.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”