undetermined

ello lovelies.

Postby deadymcsexhead » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:12 pm

new here. [[obviously]]
ermm.
well im very friendly, i love people.
dont hesitate to say hi.
=]]
im also very random, so if i happen to blurt out weird phrases, dont be scurred.
i dont bite.
=D
i agree with whatever i just said.
;]

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm

There is no such thing as randomness here. You know exactly what you are typing before you post.

Otherwise, welcome.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm

You seem decent.

Read the forum guidelines here.

Welcome. Stay on your toes.
[/somebullshit]

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:52 pm

seems decent enough, yeah.

'llo, welcome.

while on the subject, hery, i herby petition for an option on the forum that let us ignore fonts, and disables smilies(last not related to this post, but related to other annoying posts, and disabling stuff).

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:56 pm

That'd save us a few ulcers.
[/somebullshit]

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:22 am

phew, i'm not sure if such a mod actually exists.

also, welcome to the forums, ragdoll.

Jack
deformed
deformed

Postby Jack » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:37 am

Proper font colour, please. Thank you.
Anarch

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Cairo wrote:colour
Brit.
[/somebullshit]

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 pm

it's prettier!
colour honour armour.

Jack
deformed
deformed

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:15 am

Ravenesque wrote:
Cairo wrote:colour

Brit.

Excuse me, but it's "colour" in every English-speaking country in the world except America.

Anyway, I do spell some things in Standard American English, like "defense." And the only thing I actually pronounce in the Queen's English is the word "leisure."

Lie-zoo-ray. [/izzard] (jk)
Anarch

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:30 am

americans spelling things the proper english way is so pretentious. spell shit the way you were taught, faggot!

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:46 am

what about personal preference, can you honestly say that you like "honor" more than "honour"? the first is blunt.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Why yes... I do like "honor" more than "honour". The second just looks unappealing as a word.
[/somebullshit]

Jack
deformed
deformed

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 pm

Wayne wrote:americans spelling things the proper english way is so pretentious. spell shit the way you were taught, faggot!

It isn't always out of pretention. Sometimes it's just out of personal preference.

And actually, I was taught to spell things the "proper" English way; the first big novel I ever read was The Lord of the Rings. The habit of spelling things like they're spelt in that book just didn't go away for me.
Anarch

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:00 am

did you know, that the current anglo-american is closer to the original english, than modern day english?

Jack
deformed
deformed

Postby Jack » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:30 am

I usually look at a word's etymology and decide whether it's actually incorrect to spell it the "true" English way. "Defence" is a great example.

"Defence" is incorrect, because it comes from Latin defensus, and most consonant transitions are not considered proper in European languages. For example, if the word "consider" became "concider," it would be incorrect, because it comes from Latin con- + sidus, sideris.

"Honour" is correct, because it constitutes a legitimate linguistic vowel transition from Latin honos, honoris, much like French honneur. "Honor" could also be considered correct; however, its regression to the direct derivative spelling is rather decadent of the English language.

"Manoeuvre" is correct, because although the ultimate etymon is Latin manus + opera, its direct etymon is the French (correct) transition from opera to oeuvre, which utilises a "proper" consonant transition of P > V, as in the word poverty from French pauvreté from Latin paupertas. "Maneuver" is incorrect, because although it uses the "proper" vowel transition of OE > E (as seen in American English estrus from "standard" English oestrus), this vowel transition is inappropriate to apply in a word which does not derive directly from Latin, such as oeuvre.

And "herb" is pronounced "herb," not "erb," because there's a fucking H in it. [/izzard] (jk)
Anarch

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:24 am

that post does nothing but make you sound even more pretentious. like, way more.

Young Boy
divine
divine

Postby Young Boy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:31 am

i figure you're good with language if you get your point across. if big words really helped explain things there wouldn't be "...for dummies" books. It really isn't necessary to have synonyms at all. If you're precise with your words, it will show and people will like it. if you use super gay pretentious words, people don't understand you as a well and you just look like a snooty 2 shoes. also never accidentally develop a southern accent, it's fucking retarded. take it from me, it's awful if you don't actually live in the south.
I been posting here boy

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:44 am

New york accents are wayy better. Especially if you're using them in Boston.

Jack
deformed
deformed

Postby Jack » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:26 am

Wayne wrote:that post does nothing but make you sound even more pretentious. like, way more.

So, all of a sudden, nobody's allowed to be really good at one subject without being called "pretentious"? I happen to be an expert in linguistics and etymology. If you're really good at anatomy, and can tell me exactly where the pineal gland is, and I call you "pretentious," do you think I'm being fair?

:x

HFM wrote:It really isn't necessary to have synonyms at all.

I suppose that wouldn't be so ungood, after all.

:roll:
Anarch

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine
Location: Ragdolling through the universe like a, um, ragdoll thing.

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 am

I like you, Cairo. You don't give anybody a chance to argue against you, because you've already built a solid offense and defense by the time they've got anything in mind.

Also, you don't consider speaking what you know to be pretentious. Almost everyone I know seems to think that's exactly what it is.

Personally, I prefer "color" over "colour" and "honour" over "honor." "Colour" is just too much for colors, IMO. "Honour" sounds more, well, honorable... Or something like that.

Cairo, have you ever read 1984 by George Orwell? If you haven't, it's about a future where language is being constantly reduced.

EX: fantastic, awesome, good, bad, terrible, and horrible become doubleplusgood, plusgood, good, ungood, plusungood, and doubleplusungood.

Keepin' it easy...

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:15 pm

of course he's bloody read it... where else would he get "ungood" from?

i think half the forum read it or something, and the rest heard plenty from 3rd party.

decent book, but linguistically, i preferred clockwork orange, if you want to stay in genre.

he might not think it pretentious, i might not think it pretentious, you might not think it pretentious, but the majority does, and guess what? it's those you have to deal with.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 am

Krahl Rekarin wrote:I like you, Cairo. You don't give anybody a chance to argue against you, because you've already built a solid offense and defense by the time they've got anything in mind.

Also, you don't consider speaking what you know to be pretentious. Almost everyone I know seems to think that's exactly what it is.

Thank you, I guess....

Cairo, have you ever read 1984 by George Orwell? If you haven't, it's about a future where language is being constantly reduced.

As Azgarth said, I must have read it, because I used the term "ungood" in my post before yours. (I actually didn't finish it, because I was busy reading other books at the time. I plan on reading it again all the way through sometime soon.)

Azgarth wrote:of course he's bloody read it... where else would he get "ungood" from?

No need to be curt, kiddo.

decent book, but linguistically, i preferred clockwork orange, if you want to stay in genre.

I haven't read that one yet, but I definitely intend to soon.

he might not think it pretentious, i might not think it pretentious, you might not think it pretentious, but the majority does, and guess what? it's those you have to deal with.

I think I've already explained why it wasn't meant to be pretentious, and why it oughtn't be interpreted to be so.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 am

kiddo? XD
alright, i get your point though, i meant no offense, if any is taken, they're free to give me something back.

shouldn't be interpreted so, sure, but that doesn't matter, it would be by a lot, should be or should not be doesn't matter, all that does is what is.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine
Location: Ragdolling through the universe like a, um, ragdoll thing.

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:18 am

I thought I had posted a reply, but apparently I hadn't...

No offense taken, Azgarth. I was just considering the possibility that a person might arrive at such a word on their own. There is a chance of that, you know? Thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters and all that happy crap.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”