Another brick in the wall.

I'm new. I'm lost. I'm scared.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine
Location: Ragdolling through the universe like a, um, ragdoll thing.

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Psh. Azgarth, polls show that the 50's eventually become the preferred years of life. Everybody 60+ has an average of 53-54 for age most wanted to return to.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:37 pm

Chainzz wrote:
Krahl Rekarin wrote:What are some other songs you like by Pink Floyd?

Learning to fly
, Sorrow..... Dunno.

+20 respect points. A Momentary Lapse of Reason = win.

Have you heard the album Meddle?
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Meddle is an amazing album.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Krahl Rekarin wrote:Meddle is an amazing album.

+400 respect points. This next question is for 1000 points. Be honest, now.

How often do you listen to Echoes?

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:59 pm

Less often than I wish. I've got a lot on my plate right now personally, socially, and in other interesting ways I don't want to go into right now.

I try to get in once a week though, if it's one of the few things I remember to do.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:01 am

I used to go to sleep listening to Echoes almost every night. I still do so occasionally, these days.

Almost every time I listen to that song, I always come up with a daydream about somebody far away from home experiencing adventures and eventually returning to his family and friends at the end, with lots of universal themes. I swear, someday I'm gonna make a 23-minute short film with only Echoes for sound.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:07 am

That would be incredible. Absolutely and completely.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 am

The actual daydream (and the possible future short film inspired by it) goes like this:

The opening third of the song is occupied by a hazy black-and-white segment about a young white man with rebel hair and lots of tattoos, driving through downtown, laughing with his equally rebellious-looking friends. At various parts, it goes to him spending time with a girlfriend, either riding a motorcycle with her, or just sitting with her in a park. Finally, as the opening part fades out, the black-and-white starts losing sharpness and contrast, eventually fading into a neutral grey. The last scene is of him driving alone in his convertable through downtown at high speeds, with blurred neon signs flashing by. He's clearly listening to music and grooving to it. He shuts his eyes in pleasure as the image becomes incoherent.

The second part fades in, as he opens his eyes. The image is still black-and-white. He appears, lying in the middle of a desert, his clothing torn. There is an eerie screaming noise (this is actually part of the song, if you'll recall), and he sits up in fright. He looks around. The distance is blurry with heat-wave (the colour is starting to return to him and his surroundings, slowly), but he can see giant black birds of strange shape, hopping on the ground just out of clear visibility. They are calling to each other in those screaming voices. Legitimately freaked out, the character staggers to his feet and starts making his way towards a gap in their circle, hoping to escape them if they are some sort of predators. They part further, allowing him to leave their circle without ever getting close to one, but they fall in behind, following him. Crows (whose calls are audible in the song) begin circling around over him and following him on the ground, a little closer than the mysterious bird monsters. He picks up speed and builds to a run, heading towards some rocky hills in the distance. As he goes into that area, the birds stop following him, and watch him from a distance.

As the third part starts to fade in, he is still running (in slow motion), even though he is no longer being followed. There are close-ups of his sweating lips, and of his injured arm, and of his running feet, and other things. He is approaching a ridge, and he can see a tall spire like a radio tower peeking up over it. He begins to run faster, but begins stumbling over rocks. At the climax of the third part, he comes up over the ridge and looks out over a wide green valley, with a green emerald city (reminiscent of the wizard of Oz) at its heart, on the border of mountains. He slowly moves down into the valley, and then begins to run, weeping openly. He comes to the steps of the palace-like city, and is met by guards, who stare at his ragged figure and do not impede his passage. He comes upon a huge emerald stairway leading up to the main palace, and as he climbs it, he stops and sees his old girlfriend at the top. They run and meet each other, and the camera pans wider and wider, encompassing the palace, the city, the valley, the planet, the galaxy, and the universe, before it all vanishes into a glint of light on a teardrop dripping from the character's face. The drop falls and splashes on the ground, dissolving at the moment in the song where all the ghastly voices dissipate. The rest of the song is occupied by camera shots of the city and the valley, and the desert around it, and finally by a fading horizontal outward pan.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:40 am

That's frickin' AMAZING.

You are genius.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 am

:lol:

I try.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 am

How old're you, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm a junior in high school)

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:06 am

So am I. I'm sixteen, but people don't believe that. Just look at my picture and you'll see why.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:08 am

I would've guessed 18. I'm 17, and got confused for ten when I was 15.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:14 am

Hahaha. I was done with puberty at the age of twelve. Was never embarassed either, even when people called me "Jesus," "Rasputin," and "Rob Zombie" as a reference to all my facial hair. I just laughed at them for looking like children and girls.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:16 am

You are a physically odd specimen, aren't you?

Anything else unusual? A third ear? A third eye? A third head?

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 am

An extremely deep voice, that's about it.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:42 am

Third head would've been cooler, you know.

Who else do you listen to?

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:51 am

I went through a Pink Floyd phase from freshman to sophomore year. I know all there is to know about Pink Floyd, past, future, and present. Sorry if there was any confusion in my late thread-joining.

Oh, and I've heard Echoes at least 500 times. There was a period of at least a year in which I did not go one day without listening to some amount of Pink Floyd. I guess you could say that was my first bout of manic depression and INSANITY.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:53 am

Welcome to the discussion, no prob at all.

I once went 3 months where I listened to The Wall (both discs) literally every day.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 am

Krahl Rekarin wrote:Third head would've been cooler, you know.

Who else do you listen to?

1. Modest Mouse
2. Tom Waits
3. Queen
4. Pink Floyd
5. White Stripes

Yeah, I know, Pink Floyd is only number four, but come on, that doesn't mean I'm not an insane fan, anyway!

I once went 3 months where I listened to The Wall (both discs) literally every day.

I had it (as well as all my Pink Floyd) on tape long before I ever had it on CD, so the phrase "both discs" confused me for a moment there.

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:19 am

My parents have had their boxed set of Floyd cd's since before I knew the group existed.

You have astounding taste in music, my friend.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:24 am

Have you heard of Tom Waits, though?

____

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:27 am

Yes. Can't think of any songs, but I know I've heard him.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:32 am

anarch, you listen to waits? i love his work.

do you prefer his older stuff, or the more recent, more experimental(though that really started with swordfishrombones, which is a fairly old album, 84, IIRC)?

i've still yet to find anything from before his first album, i read his voice changed greatly, and i'm curious how it was in the beginning.

curious now though, what do you think of velvet underground? lou reed's solo stuff? genesis? nick cave & the bad seeds?

obskewer
divine
divine

Postby obskewer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Krahl Rekarin wrote:Meddle is an amazing album.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”