Hi everyone !

I'm new. I'm lost. I'm scared.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:33 am

[quote="AnUninvitedGuestCare to tell us your gender? Because Ash could go either way.[/quote]

Don't start this again....... :lol:
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:27 am

You propositioned me through PM. How could I not bring it up? :lol:
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive
Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine
The only thing I need is time
To change your mind, I said

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 am

aug, unique? english is just another germanic language. sharing roots with german and dutch, among others.

yes it borrows a lot from other languages, mainly latin and a bit of french, but only words, not systems. and almost every language does that. dutch does it more than english, for one.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:16 pm

English used to be Germanic. After William the Conqueror took over, the nobility used French in court. Now many of our polysyllabic words are of French decent. Yes, it was German based, but now there is a large amount of Latin in it as well, that is not borrowed, but forced into it.
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive

Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine

The only thing I need is time

To change your mind, I said

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 pm

you mean descent. coincidentally an originally french word.
not german, germanic, current german is just another germanic language, just means it shares the same roots.
the whole borrowed/forced thing is a discussion for purists, i don't care much. language flows and changes, nothing bad about that.
and english is still germanic, the rules and laws are all germanic, and like i said, most languages borrow words, english is not an exception, nor even an extreme.

Fetus
distorted
distorted

Postby Fetus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 pm

I did learn it at 5. Then that made me forget Portuguese because I was so concentrated on learning English well. So I moved back to Portugal and relearned the language in school. I still consider English to be easy. Maybe it's the Latin and German in Portuguese that made it so easy for me. Anyways I speak English, Portuguese and Spanish better than any one in my family. Still rough at Spanish though. But I have a good balance of all. I used to know French and Italian when I was younger, but from many years of non use at a young age when I came here the second time it went away. :(

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”