um hi im new o.o

I'm new. I'm lost. I'm scared.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:36 am

which means you're lucky as hell.
not feeling addiction is purely your body, not your mind.
feeling and resisting addiction is your mind.
the former is NOT in your control, just depends on what kind of body you happened to be born with.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Azgarth wrote:you can substitute some cravings for some other cravings easily, yes.
not nearly all. you can't substitute pot for meth.

In fact, you cannot SUBSTITUTE one addiction for another. However, when someone is trying to quit smoking, as per the earlier example, they occupy their hands and mouth with drinking coffee and form a SEPARATE addiction. Should they fail to quick smoking, they will now be addicted to nicotine (and other shit) AND coffee.

which means you're lucky as hell.
not feeling addiction is purely your body, not your mind.
feeling and resisting addiction is your mind.
the former is NOT in your control, just depends on what kind of body you happened to be born with.

This, almost to the tee. Or however that saying is spelled. Addiction is formed by chemical reactions with dopamine, norapenephrine, seratonin, and a shitfuck of other neurotransmitters. Willpower cannot stop these from forming. After one use of any drug (ex. Meth) the potential for addiction is already there. Most people's brains have sufficient activity in said chemical already so that one use will not register and create an addiction, but it would impossible to simply will away the addiction should it form.

Howeverrrrrr, on a vaguely related note, did you guys hear they have an anti-smoking INJECTION now?
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:11 pm

hmm, methadone can and has been used as a substitute for heroin, morphine and other opiates. it works differently, but has similar effects on your brain, and thus can be used to actually substitute.
a similar case could be made for say nicotine patches vs cigs.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:05 am

Well, if they affect the same area or use the same basic drug compound, then it's not a true substitution. Same product, different label.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine
Location: Ragdolling through the universe like a, um, ragdoll thing.

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 am

When one is fully aware of how dependancy and addiction form, psychological addiction is entirely avoidable - with some willpower and focus. Physical addiction is the only real beast to look out for as long and you can be safely confident in your own mind.

Say a drug fucks with dopamine reuptake, or mimics dopamine. Your brin registers hightened levels of dopamine, and decides it must be producing too much, and so natural dopamine levels drop, leaving you often feeling depressed until you take the drug and you feel like you have more dopamine again. Your mind is one thing you should be able to control completely - it may sound simplistic but just don't let yourself think the drug makes you happy, just try to be happy, let yourself be happy, without it as with it. If you have any decent degree of willpower you should be fine. Within reason, of course. It always helps to watch how much you use.

Morph
distorted
distorted

Postby Morph » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 am

Ah, as soon as the junkie returns, the drug stuff magically appears in every single thread.
Feel my hands around your throat.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 am

Zynathias wrote:Well, if they affect the same area or use the same basic drug compound, then it's not a true substitution. Same product, different label.

that's the point, it isn't.

When one is fully aware of how dependancy and addiction form, psychological addiction is entirely avoidable - with some willpower and focus.

no, it most certainly is not. cravings are beyond control.
you can't willpower your way into not having an addiction. there's addictions you can enforce willpower to get past though, but that's entirely different.

When one is fully aware of how dependancy and addiction form, psychological addiction is entirely avoidable - with some willpower and focus. Physical addiction is the only real beast to look out for as long and you can be safely confident in your own mind.

Say a drug fucks with dopamine reuptake, or mimics dopamine. Your brin registers hightened levels of dopamine, and decides it must be producing too much, and so natural dopamine levels drop, leaving you often feeling depressed until you take the drug and you feel like you have more dopamine again. Your mind is one thing you should be able to control completely - it may sound simplistic but just don't let yourself think the drug makes you happy, just try to be happy, let yourself be happy, without it as with it.

impossible for most, except certain people with mental abnormalities.
if you're one with such a defect, be lucky you're able to deceive yourself like this. most can't.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Zynathias wrote:Well, if they affect the same area or use the same basic drug compound, then it's not a true substitution. Same product, different label.

Not as dangerous. That's key.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 am

I'm extremely lucky for what I was born into, meaning both my mind and my environment. Looking back over my life... My environment has been most influential in how I keep watch over and control my mind.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 am

and your body is luckiest of all, without the chemical makeup of your body you would've fallen into addiction.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:26 pm

@ GC: depending on the drugs involves, possibly.

@ Myr: You have a point that, theoretically, it would be possible to control the functions of your brain and, if you've achieved this insanely high level of self-awareness, I give you a kudos. Two, perhaps. However, the average person has little to no control over their individual moods, what they perceive as making them happy/angry/afraid/ect. and their reactions to these moods.

In your case, you're just weird. As is the spelling of weird, but that's beside the point.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 pm

@ Myr: You have a point that, theoretically, it would be possible to control the functions of your brain and, if you've achieved this insanely high level of self-awareness, I give you a kudos. Two, perhaps. However, the average person has little to no control over their individual moods, what they perceive as making them happy/angry/afraid/ect. and their reactions to these moods.

there's monks can actually stop their heart. even those guys can't do that.
it'd require control of the chemical processes in your own brain, no way in hell that that's possible.
you can have a body that doesn't build up addiction well, which is lucky, but that's about it.

prefer wyrd?

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Thus the theoretical, lol.

Win.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:12 am

*insert BS we-only-use-x-percent-of-our-brain nonsense theory here*
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:25 am

A lot of controlling your own mind is less what people expect it to be and more just believing what you want to happen, and reaffirming it. People have more power than they realize.

"I think I can, I think I can..."

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:31 am

We're going here again, lol?
I've got one hand in my pocket

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:43 am

Of course. Bob's back.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Continue the discussion and he'll mention drugs.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Already been there, Frosty. But he's right, according to some aspects of Quantum Theory. The basic form of matter is thought. Course, we can't prove that, but it's supported by a complex web of shit I don't want to explain.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 pm

A lot of my conviction comes from what is essentially my answer to "Does free will exist/What is free will?"

Our consciousness is the energy of "God" in action, and all matter is energy slowed to super low vibration, thus our thoughts have tremendous power over matter.

Of course, that includes the thoughts that start with "It's impossible to..."

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 am

However, I must argue that I severely doubt you've actually removed all of the "impossible"s that life has instilled in you and replaced them with the control of chemicals in your brain.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:25 am

*EDIT* This is for Bob.
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive
Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine
The only thing I need is time
To change your mind, I said

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:37 am

If I had removed all the impossibles that have been ingrained in me since birth, ya'll would've heard of some asshole walking through walls and on water and flying through the skies like a fuckin' bird. I wish.

Control over myself, though, removal of impossibles within my own mind... that's easier.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Though I don't know you and can't personally judge either way, I'm skeptical.

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:44 pm

And that's an intelligent response, unlike those who figure they can judge over the internet.

Finally.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”