hi! can someone answer a few questions i have?

I'm new. I'm lost. I'm scared.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

julairria
latency
latency

hi! can someone answer a few questions i have?

Postby julairria » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

so, my name is julia and i love drawing both digitally and on paper!
so now for those questions:
what do you exactly do here??
and also
can you please visit my da?
http://www.julairria.deviantart.com
and if u have your own site/da/blog i would love to see it! :D
Canadian, EH?

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 pm

jula wrote:what do you exactly do here?

Create and respond to posts.

jula wrote:can you please visit my da?

You know that page-views don't determine your worth as an artist, right?

jula wrote:http://www.julairria.deviantart.com

Anime style is neither a show of talent nor skill. Break the chains that bind you! Evolve!

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Let the chips fall where they may.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 am

I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive
Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine
The only thing I need is time
To change your mind, I said

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 am

^AUG just made me laugh quite a bit <3

geroge
divine
divine

Postby geroge » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:19 am

:lol: frosty is preparing you for later life, which is also nasty in a funny way.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:08 am

Astica wrote:^AUG just made me laugh quite a bit <3

I've wanted to post that for quite a while.

julairria
latency
latency

Postby julairria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:31 am

Frosty wrote:
jula wrote:what do you exactly do here?

Create and respond to posts.

jula wrote:can you please visit my da?

You know that page-views don't determine your worth as an artist, right?

jula wrote:http://www.julairria.deviantart.com

Anime style is neither a show of talent nor skill. Break the chains that bind you! Evolve!

thanks for actually answering!! my questions!

And, yeah ive actually been tring to get out of anime :P i wanna try a tim burton-esque style and see how that goes....
and all i wanted was to know how my art was :P (about the pageviews)
Canadian, EH?

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:41 am

jula wrote: i wanna try a tim burton-esque style and see how that goes....

You mean the other thing all you tweeny girls are crazy for? Why not develop your own style?

julairria
latency
latency

Postby julairria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:03 am

Frosty wrote:
jula wrote: i wanna try a tim burton-esque style and see how that goes....

You mean the other thing all you tweeny girls are crazy for? Why not develop your own style?

look, I don't want to annoy you, but is it not okay to actually like something?
i think that if i want to find my own style i need to have an inspiration. I've only been drawing for about a year, and I'm having troubles. So please, instead of being a little rude, can you please help me? look at my art and tell me what i can work on. i have some non-manga drawings, in the case that you just can't stand to look at them or something. Why don't you like anime anyways? I'm just curious....
Canadian, EH?

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:41 am

1. Frosty is about 50% troll. Look through the "he was being mean" and you'll see he was really just trying to help.

2. I think it's totally okay to use Tim Burton as an inspiration for the time being, but I think you should eventually find less "Hot Topic" artists to draw inspiration from.

3. As far as advice goes, Frosty is right about Anime. There is basically a stock set of eyes, noses, mouths, and hairstyles that anime characters have. As far as anime goes, though, especially your newest drawings on DA, you are actually better than I expected when Frosty pointed out that you shouldn't do it. You have improved a lot from page 3 to page 1.

My only real advice is to draw anatomically correct humans, as they are much more difficult than anime humans, will help hone your skills, and you may learn a thing or two about your own personal artistic tendencies and style. Do artist studies of the sketches of Da Vinci, especially the ones concerning anatomy.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:02 am

Thirded on the anime thing. Practising that wont further your ability, because its a quite rigid style and doesn't really apply to any others.

As for the 'Tim Burton-esque' thing, it may be a stereotype these days, but if its something you're interested in and can learn from, I say go ahead with it. To (almost) quote Mary Shelley, inspiration comes from chaos, not from the void. Admittedly, learning from an established style is hardly chaos, but the point is creating your own thing from a chaotic jumble of ideas around you, of which Burton could be one of those points of inspiration.
The other half of my point is more directed at Frosty, and is that you can't just pull your own style out of nothing, you need something to work through first, and drawing (HAHAPUN) on other peoples examples is a good place to start, no matter how tweenie they may be :)

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:57 am

Originality is good taste in inspiration and poor memory for where you got it.

Pulling from Burton is a marginal improvement from anime. Shitting on a canvas is more artistic than anime. (Seriously; the art community loves shit on canvases.)

jula wrote:So please, instead of being a little rude, can you please help me?

I'm less than half as rude as others will be; better get used to me if you want to get criticized here. Your stay so far has been pretty smooth considering your signature is a link to DeviantSUCK.
[/somebullshit]

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:09 am

You've been more than twice as rude as everyone else lol.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:14 am

It builds character.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:16 am

She's what, 12? She's got her whole life to build character. Leave it alone.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:24 am

I guess I should've added a [/facetiousness].

I feel like analogous to an ex-military of the fifties. My training was harsh and strict, and kids these-a days have it easy in the service.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 am

Frosty wrote:Shitting on a canvas is more artistic than anime. (Seriously; the art community loves shit on canvases.)

As someone who took an incredibly pretentious philosophy class last year about defining and criticising art, I can actually confirm this with quite a lot of certainty. Shit on canvas would be edgy and undoubtedly meaningful, and provide a lot of social commentary on the modern world through radical and inventive techniques. Anime is just pop culture which would fail at crossing into high art.

someone refute me so I can relive my philosophy days and we can go around in circles arguing with no conclusion like in all the other topics lately :lol:

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 am

it's not exactly on canvas, but...
i'm also reminded of the artist who made a piece of art with his own blood, extracted time and time again with a syringe.

welcome new kid, g'luck.
frost, kids these days have new problems, i think we can easily assume you're one of them. always welcome to it though.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I forget who, but some artist got a haircut and taped his hair to the canvas and sold it for like $27k the next day.

Ridiculous.

julairria
latency
latency

Postby julairria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Voly wrote:1. Frosty is about 50% troll. Look through the "he was being mean" and you'll see he was really just trying to help.

2. I think it's totally okay to use Tim Burton as an inspiration for the time being, but I think you should eventually find less "Hot Topic" artists to draw inspiration from.

3. As far as advice goes, Frosty is right about Anime. There is basically a stock set of eyes, noses, mouths, and hairstyles that anime characters have. As far as anime goes, though, especially your newest drawings on DA, you are actually better than I expected when Frosty pointed out that you shouldn't do it. You have improved a lot from page 3 to page 1.

My only real advice is to draw anatomically correct humans, as they are much more difficult than anime humans, will help hone your skills, and you may learn a thing or two about your own personal artistic tendencies and style. Do artist studies of the sketches of Da Vinci, especially the ones concerning anatomy.

thanks!!! i recently read a biograpgy on daVinci, so ill have to look through the part about his anatomy studies again.
Canadian, EH?

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:07 pm

In Italy, when criminals were executed, the authorities would give him (and other people interested in the subject) their corpses and essentially said "here, figure out how we work."

julairria
latency
latency

Postby julairria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:10 pm

yeah i read that :P
and he wrote all of hs notes backwards because he was left handed
he was an insomniac
and he could doodle with one hand and write with the other simultaneously. :P
Canadian, EH?

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:51 pm

And he was Leonardo DaFuckingVinci.

julairria
latency
latency

Postby julairria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:59 pm

hes my all time favourite artist :3 i love his work! :D
Canadian, EH?

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”