Is a gaming laptop ever possible?

For any computer related topics such as hardware, operating systems, computer problems and the like.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Mummy_Mori_Claidius
latency
latency

Is a gaming laptop ever possible?

Postby Mummy_Mori_Claidius » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 am

i am wondering if anyone here might have any knowledge of a decent company that makes laptops i hope to have a gaming laptop one day but i cant find any with the requirements i need i play WoW sims the most and thats what i would like the lpfor if anyone has info i would appreciate it

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:34 pm

The downside is the price, heat, battery-capacity and the fact that a gaming laptop weighs just as much as a light desktop.
You'll find gaming notebooks at http://www.alienware.com/

Brandon
Teh Zombie

Postby Brandon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:25 pm

alienwares are good....if you have about 40,000$ to spend on all the software you need..its about 4000$ for the computer with just xp on it, and no special software, but if i were gunna get an alienware, i would want all i can get with that thing.

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 pm

Yeah, those Alienware designs are awesome, temperature meters, clocks and calendars, all in the front panel.

Brandon
Teh Zombie

Postby Brandon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm

and the cool glowing alien on the back when you turn it on :D

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:30 pm

Gaming laptops are only decent if you can plug them into a power outlet and perhaps a direct internet connection.

Hence defeating the purpose of a laptop. They're a novel idea though. But I'd leave laptops to the education and business world. They aren't ready for gaming just yet.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Of course a gaming laptop is possible, a laptop is just like any other computer only smaller and more expensive, cheap laptops have pour graphic cards thus the low performance in games so getting the most expensive laptop guarantees good performance in games, alienware have good systems, IBM makes good stuff too, Fujitsu Simens are nice as well, even HP isn't bad, just make sure the laptop you buy has a good graphic card (generaly you know them by the fact that they have 256 mb of memory, generaly shared, look for aty radeon 9600 based chipsets), lot's of memory (at least 512mb RAM) and a good processor like Athlon 64 or any kind of Mobile Pentium 4.
A strong graphic card however means that your battery has a shorter life, be carefull, when you buy the laptop, to get one with a good battery, 4 hours at least.

I'm not an expert thou so don't take what I say for granted.
Order, symmetry, discipline and balance.

Mummy_Mori_Claidius
latency
latency

Postby Mummy_Mori_Claidius » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:12 pm

evil_todd wrote:alienwares are good....if you have about 40,000$ to spend on all the software you need..its about 4000$ for the computer with just xp on it, and no special software, but if i were gunna get an alienware, i would want all i can get with that thing.

i have been looking at alienware actually i almost baught one but then at the last minute skipped out.. ima dork cause of that.. but i just can't make up my mind between at least three models they have..

Brandon
Teh Zombie

Postby Brandon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:23 pm

i'll go with the cheepist, because it's still alienware, witch means it's a good computer! but i guess it depends on what you'll use it for, and what software comes with the computer.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Alienware are not on the market in Romania, I don't know shit about them, they look good on the website, find out how many hours the battery lasts, if it's under 3 hours it's crap.

RHK-Commander959
latency
latency

Postby RHK-Commander959 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:03 pm

hp had a few experiments with full processors, 3+ ghz intels in laptops. little buggers heat up like hell so i think that's why they're uncommon. that and the amount of drain from such speeds

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:44 am

Yep, the battery is the biggest problem, I sopose they can make one that would hold up a few hours of full gameing but it would cost too much.

Return to “Computers”