New Hard Drive

For any computer related topics such as hardware, operating systems, computer problems and the like.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

frunkyboy
latency
latency

New Hard Drive

Postby frunkyboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:02 pm

i have just bought a new seagate hard drive. But its just not working on my computer:( When i plug it all in and what not it just comes up with something saying "insert boot diskette into A:" i dont see why because there is no opparating system on the hard drive.... :? i have tried downloading some boot disks but i dont actualy see how that would help because i have no opparating system. can some body please help me out? :D

Thanks! :D :D

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Details please

Did you create a new partition on the new hard-drive and format it?

Are you using 2 hard-drives? If so then you must set other one as slave.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Probably an SATA drive. They're difficult to boot operating systems on if you don't already have a working harddrive.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Re: New Hard Drive

Postby Gravesent » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 am

frunkyboy wrote:i have just bought a new seagate hard drive. But its just not working on my computer:( When i plug it all in and what not it just comes up with something saying "insert boot diskette into A:" i dont see why because there is no opparating system on the hard drive.... :? i have tried downloading some boot disks but i dont actualy see how that would help because i have no opparating system. can some body please help me out? :D

Thanks! :D :D

Is that your only hard drive or does the computer have another?
Is it a sata ot ata drive?

If it's the only hard drive and it doesn't have an operating system the motherboards BIOS will prompt for a boot disk, it's normal.
A computer will not work without an operating system like Windows or Linux so you need to install one.

If it's not your only hard drive make sure the jumper settings are correct, the hard drive that containes the operating system needs to be on master setting and the other one needs to be on slave setting, there are instructions spelled on the hard drive on how to make these jumper settings.

Give us more detail on the problem if this did not help.
Order, symmetry, discipline and balance.

frunkyboy
latency
latency

Postby frunkyboy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:03 pm

right....i have just set the jumpers on my new hard drive to master and its the only hard drive. it is still asking me for a boot disk though...i have put my windows xp disk in when i satrt the computer and still dosent load it. it still isnt working :(

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:04 pm

You could be making the same mistake I did. If you have a CD and DVD drive, then put the windows xp disk in the DVD drive then start it up.

If none of that works, then I got no clue.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:02 pm

frunkyboy wrote:right....i have just set the jumpers on my new hard drive to master and its the only hard drive. it is still asking me for a boot disk though...i have put my windows xp disk in when i satrt the computer and still dosent load it. it still isnt working :(
'
k dude, me's drunk right now but here's the deal, if its the single new drive you need to install windows xp or any OS, xxcvcponventare noew, set teh bios too boot from
cd and windows will start, if it doesn't find yopur hdd it probably is sata and you need to press f6 and insert a dikette that ypu msake with the mb's cd/// more details wjen I'll be sober/;

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:28 am

Pfft hahaha. Quality post. Whoever designed your keyboard didn't count on drunken explanations.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:33 am

frunkyboy wrote:right....i have just set the jumpers on my new hard drive to master and its the only hard drive. it is still asking me for a boot disk though...i have put my windows xp disk in when i satrt the computer and still dosent load it. it still isnt working :(

Reload:
If the hard drive has jumpers it's an ATA, meaning windows should have no troble detecting it, now, it looks to me like you're not booting from the CD-ROM, enter the motherboards bios (usually by pressing "Del" or "F2") and make sure that the first boot device is the CD-ROM or DVD that you put the Windows CD in, when you do manage to boot from the windows cd you need to make partitions, make the first partition no bigger than 10gb (but no smaller than 7gb) and chose to install windows on it, that way when windows fucks up you just have to format that first partition and save all your data on the others you make.
After windows formats the partition and copyes the files it restarts, AFTER this has happened don't press anything when it says "Press any key to boot from CD" and let it boot from the hard drive, setup will flow naturaly from there.
If it's a pirated copy of windows make sure that whoever made it also made it a bootable cd, because if it's not a bootable cd you're wasting your time.

More detail (meaning write every error you see on the screen) if this did not help.

Return to “Computers”