Buying a new computer

For any computer related topics such as hardware, operating systems, computer problems and the like.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:52 pm

Go for AMD, intel is too expensive, Athlon 64 3000+ should be enough, take an MSI mainboard that goes with it, VIA isn't all that bad concidering the alternatives, stay away from SIS for example, having an ABIT mainboard and an ABIT videocard for example is a good combination.. hell, it's hard to recomend something, give me the site form where you want to buy the PC and your price range, maybe I'll be able to configure a nice system.
Order, symmetry, discipline and balance.

Brighteyed
damaged
damaged

Postby Brighteyed » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:04 pm

Gravesent wrote:PCI-EX is the new tipe of graphic card slot and it's better than agp 8x, make sure you buy an PCI-EX videocard too :)

its also cheaper than AGP.
I'll laugh until my head comes off
I'll swallow till I burst

Abstrakt
divine
divine

Postby Abstrakt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:22 am

Man, I was looking for AGP cards for my comp yesterday. Prices were running $150+. I need to hit the lottery.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:15 am

It depends what you want to buy, are there no cheaper models?
VGA 128M FX5500 GIGABYTE (N55128D) BULK is 46 euro where I live... and it's a decent card.

Devil
damaged
damaged

Postby Devil » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:39 am

Gravesent wrote:Go for AMD, intel is too expensive, Athlon 64 3000+ should be enough, take an MSI mainboard that goes with it, VIA isn't all that bad concidering the alternatives, stay away from SIS for example, having an ABIT mainboard and an ABIT videocard for example is a good combination.. hell, it's hard to recomend something, give me the site form where you want to buy the PC and your price range, maybe I'll be able to configure a nice system.

www.ankermann-pc.com
My price range is about 500-700€.
I wanted the pc you see at the bottom of the screen, for 499€.
You can click that and only adjust the mainboard, graphics card and power supply.
The rest is fine with me.
Devil
I'm hell's artist....

Young Boy
divine
divine

Postby Young Boy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:13 am

hey guys?

i don't get it
I been posting here boy

Devil
damaged
damaged

Postby Devil » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 am

What's so difficult???
I wanna buy a new PC. I found a good site where I saw a good cheap PC.
Some parts weren't that good, but I can choose the parts so I was asking some advice.
Devil

I'm hell's artist....

Young Boy
divine
divine

Postby Young Boy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:21 am

yea hbut the advice was very complicated and probably requires explanations and diagrams and money that I can't affort
I been posting here boy

Brighteyed
damaged
damaged

Postby Brighteyed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:44 am

hm...you´re from Holland right?
so you maybe understand a little bit german..
http://www.3dchip.de/Grafikchipliste/Leistung_Graka.htm
(bwahaha...theres a button for english, nevermind then)
i´m buying a Radeon X800XL for 139€(168$), maybe you´re interested too...

Devil
damaged
damaged

Postby Devil » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:20 am

That depends on how much the new PC will cost in the end..
I'll think about it though, I need a good graphics card too.
Devil

I'm hell's artist....

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:44 am

@Devil
1. Is OS included with the computer or do you plan to install it yourself?
2. Even if there's not much money that can be saved on buying a small harddrive you should consider the amount of gigabytes you need. Go for a S-ATA/S-ATAII (doesn't matter), not an IDE. Hitachi, Samsung and Seagate makes good harddrives. The Western Digital produces lots of heat and noise while the Maxtor doesn't last more than a month or two (like many others I've suffered a crash myself)
3. A good mid-end GPU is the ATi X800GTO. I haven't tested it though.
Brighteyed wrote:i´m buying a Radeon X800XL for 139€(168$), maybe you´re interested too...

Doesn't support shader 3.0 but what the hell, none of todays GPU's will support DirectX 10 in the end of the year anyway.

Brighteyed
damaged
damaged

Postby Brighteyed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:44 am

yeah, i can buy a better Card, but my new Pc already costs ~650€(787$), thats enough for me ;)

- Biostar So754 iDEQ N1 Barebone PCIe
- AMD Athlon 64 3400+ So754 2.4Ghz 512KB
- ASUS Extreme AX800XL/2DTV
- Samsung HD160JJ 160GB SATA2 7200rpm 8MB
- NEC ND-4551A DVD+/-RW LF bulk
- 1024MB DDRAM PC400 KINGSTON ValueRAM
- WLAN D-Link DWL-G520+ 54Mbit PCI

Barebones <3

Devil
damaged
damaged

Postby Devil » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:15 pm

lovehater wrote:@Devil
1. Is OS included with the computer or do you plan to install it yourself?
2. Even if there's not much money that can be saved on buying a small harddrive you should consider the amount of gigabytes you need. Go for a S-ATA/S-ATAII (doesn't matter), not an IDE. Hitachi, Samsung and Seagate makes good harddrives. The Western Digital produces lots of heat and noise while the Maxtor doesn't last more than a month or two (like many others I've suffered a crash myself)
3. A good mid-end GPU is the ATi X800GTO. I haven't tested it though.
Brighteyed wrote:i´m buying a Radeon X800XL for 139€(168$), maybe you´re interested too...

Doesn't support shader 3.0 but what the hell, none of todays GPU's will support DirectX 10 in the end of the year anyway.

I don't know if the OS is included, but I have XP Professional on CD here, so that doesn't really matter.
Thanks for the other tips.
Devil

I'm hell's artist....

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:57 pm

Devil wrote:
Gravesent wrote:Go for AMD, intel is too expensive, Athlon 64 3000+ should be enough, take an MSI mainboard that goes with it, VIA isn't all that bad concidering the alternatives, stay away from SIS for example, having an ABIT mainboard and an ABIT videocard for example is a good combination.. hell, it's hard to recomend something, give me the site form where you want to buy the PC and your price range, maybe I'll be able to configure a nice system.

www.ankermann-pc.com
My price range is about 500-700€.
I wanted the pc you see at the bottom of the screen, for 499€.
You can click that and only adjust the mainboard, graphics card and power supply.
The rest is fine with me.

This one's fine I guess:
Basis systeem (voor de aanvankelijke prijs):
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ `San Diego` | ASROCK 939DUAL-SATA II PCI-E Motherboard [CHANGE IT WITH AN MSI]
NVIDIA PCI-e GeForce 7300 GS 256MB GF | 250GB SATA HD 7200rpm 8MB MAXTOR 6Y250M
1024MB GSKILL DDR RAM 400 MHz | 16x LG 4167 MULTI plus & minus DualLayer DVD-WRITER

Except you have to chose an MSI mainboard that goes with Athlon 64 procs and pci-e, I can't seem to modifie it from the site but I saw they have a feature to custom build PC's so I guess you can configure it from there... All of those systems look fine to me (except the asrock mainboard and the fact that AMD is a far better choice than Intel).

Devil
damaged
damaged

Postby Devil » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Thanks for all the tips, I'll put something together.
Devil

I'm hell's artist....

Abstrakt
divine
divine

Postby Abstrakt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:30 pm

Gravesent wrote:It depends what you want to buy, are there no cheaper models?
VGA 128M FX5500 GIGABYTE (N55128D) BULK is 46 euro where I live... and it's a decent card.
Well according to crucial.com, this is all they have that's compatable with my computer. I'm not sure what any of it means. Would the RADEON 9600SE 128MB AGP be good enough to support the graphics of Half Life 2 and games like that?

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:47 pm

Yes, it would be more than enough, Half Life 2 runs decent on a Radeon 9250 with 64 mb let alone a 9600 and ANY AGP card works on your PC, unless there is some kind of major incompatibility that shouldnt exist and that the dudes from the PC shop shouldn't know about anyway, such things used to happen when the Pentium 2 was the newest processor out there and during that time there was a major instability in computer systems, I haven't seen anything like that in years so it's quite safe to say you can go for it.

Before you buy the card ask them if it's on 128 bits (256 bits would be even better but it's quite expensive), these bits are the memories bandwidh (not to be confused with the actual memory wich is measured in MB), this depends on the construction of the card so there could be two otherwise identical cards that would only differ by this, most cheap cards have 64bits so be carefull, it should be written on the site at the description.

Abstrakt
divine
divine

Postby Abstrakt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:37 pm

Hmm.. It's got 64 bits. How would that affect my game play?

And thanks tons for the help Grave. :)

Brighteyed
damaged
damaged

Postby Brighteyed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 pm

as long as there are no games that support 64 bit it may will slow down you´re fps a bit in comparision with 32 bit systems.

The 64bit systems(when running under eg Windows 64) have to emulate 32 bit to run the "old" software..

edit: whuups...missed the topic...thought you we´re talking about CPU´s o_O

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Brighteyed wrote:as long as there are no games that support 64 bit it may will slow down you´re fps a bit in comparision with 32 bit systems.

The 64bit systems(when running under eg Windows 64) have to emulate 32 bit to run the "old" software..

edit: whuups...missed the topic...thought you we´re talking about CPU´s o_O

Still, every 64 bit CPU is more powerful than any of yesterdays 32 bit AMD and Intels so the FPS won't be lowered. What happens when you run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit CPU is that it adds 32 zeros to the "string/line of numbers". The performance you lose is not even worth mentioning. It's possible to install 64 bit WinXP but it's damn hard to find drivers that works properly for all your hardware.

Brighteyed
damaged
damaged

Postby Brighteyed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:46 pm

scroll a bit down
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hard ... 4_3200/13/

of course 64bit systems are much faster, but not on todays hardware/software that are based on 32 bit

some benchmarks
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hard ... 4_3200/31/

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:20 pm

What I meant was that the clock frequency does matter much more for the performance than the amount of bits.
This test and those you linked to shows that the performance can almost be doubled with 64 bit OS on a 64 bit CPU on certain software, but those extraordinary results are a lot higher than the overall performance you will experience on running a 64 bit OS.

Anyway, I bet that all the fancy fade-overs, animations and special effects in Windows Vista will steal just as much performance as it gives as a 64 bit OS.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Abstract wrote:Hmm.. It's got 64 bits. How would that affect my game play?

And thanks tons for the help Grave. :)

Ok, Brighteyed confused the graphic's card memory bits with the processors bits :)

Related to the videocard:
The memories bandwidh is very important, there's a big difference between 64 bits and 128 bits, the videocard can process a larger amount of information, making it faster, the price difference is worth it especialy since you should pay no more than 10 extra $ for the same model of videocard with 128 bits (or in any case, not a very big price difference).

RHK-Commander959
latency
latency

Postby RHK-Commander959 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:59 pm

as long as you dont go for SLI; even the quad SLI sucks- it uses 4 pci-x slots, and massive power. unless yar a professional gamer then dont worry, there's better alternatives.

as for dual pci-x cards, it's a waste because the data is redundant between the two (aka: you dont got 512mb video memory with 2x256mb video cards, but you do increase power use and heat)

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:50 am

There is a serious gain of performace, I've seen live benchmarcks on a computer with one PCI-EX card then with two, they were both identical but not made by the same company, even so, it took that PC from 9000 marks (in 3dmark 2003) to 15000 marks, not double I agree but an incredible boost, and as I said, the videocards were made by different companies, wich means thet if they were both ASUS or LEADTECK or whatever, they would have had a higher performance.

Return to “Computers”