Acer Aspire One - Teh new gadget of choice!

For any computer related topics such as hardware, operating systems, computer problems and the like.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Acer Aspire One - Teh new gadget of choice!

Postby Gravesent » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:37 pm

For a long time I haven't desired anything technological, I had the phone I always wanted (the Treo 680), I had a decent laptop and for the first time in my life... I didn't want anything more.

Of course this left a serious void, I have ALWAYS wanted a gadget or a new motherboard or something. Now, that void is filled :D, meet Acer Aspire One 150:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVilWbznqA[/youtube]

Now, I like 3 things about this laptop:

- It has a grate design, after playing with one for a few minutes I fell in love, grate keyboard, good high quality screen, nice curves etc.

- It actually has decent processing power, comes with a Dual Core Intel Atom 1.6 GHZ processor, 1GB Ram, and the one I'd like to get has 160GB HDD

- It's cheap! It cost less that my phone brand new, less than 300 euros.

Damn fine piece of technology, I was considering upgrading to a new laptop, now, out of the same money I'm going to get a decent desktop PC and this little netbook for when I need mobility.
Order, symmetry, discipline and balance.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:21 am

why is it presented by such a complete tool?

and winxp > linux? sorry?
also, i checked, there's a few versions running linux out of the box.
not that i'd expect anyone to stay with it, they'd probably want their own distro.

for those who, like me, can't stomach the advert idiot pretending to do a review, specs:

Code: Select all

CPU Type         Intel Atom N270
mobo Chipset      Intel 945GSE
mem size         1GB
mem Type         DDR2 (SODIMM)
GPU            Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
vid out         D-Sub (VGA)
Diagonal         8.9"
resolution         1024x600
HDD            120 or160GB, at 5400rpm
USB/FW         3x USB 2.0
WLAN            802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g
LAN            LAN 100Mbps
Laptop extra's      Cardreader, Webcam
OS            Windows XP Home
weight         1.1 or 1.26kg

@grave, then why get the XP ver?
for the price, that's a nice one tho.
Music over Matter

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:08 am

I suppose it's okay, but, nine inchs? Talk about eyesore.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.
Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:19 am

View -> Font size -> Largest -> Fixed.

I don't really do anything outside my browsers on PC.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:17 am

err... why not increase the DPI on the monitor then? it's meant for things like this.
also, keep in mind that it's a low rez, so everything will still look sortof big.
Music over Matter

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:29 pm

That looks so tits

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 pm

tits in the good way or tits as in "it's gone tits up"?
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:38 pm

I've personally never heard the second one, I'm pretty sure he meant tits the good way.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Azgarth wrote:tits in the good way or tits as in "it's gone tits up"?

that shit always confuses me too.

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Tits as in awesome, watch more South-Park people

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm

not a fan, thanks.
Music over Matter

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Azgarth wrote:why is it presented by such a complete tool?

and winxp > linux? sorry?
also, i checked, there's a few versions running linux out of the box.
not that i'd expect anyone to stay with it, they'd probably want their own distro.

for those who, like me, can't stomach the advert idiot pretending to do a review, specs:

Code: Select all

CPU Type         Intel Atom N270
mobo Chipset      Intel 945GSE
mem size         1GB
mem Type         DDR2 (SODIMM)
GPU            Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
vid out         D-Sub (VGA)
Diagonal         8.9"
resolution         1024x600
HDD            120 or160GB, at 5400rpm
USB/FW         3x USB 2.0
WLAN            802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g
LAN            LAN 100Mbps
Laptop extra's      Cardreader, Webcam
OS            Windows XP Home
weight         1.1 or 1.26kg

@grave, then why get the XP ver?
for the price, that's a nice one tho.

The linux version comes with an 8GB slow solid state HDD, I installed Win XP on one and you can feel it's a bit laggy.

The Win XP version comes with a regular laptop HDD of 120 or 160 GB, which is a lot faster. Alowing not only a fast Win XP experience but also running games like Warcraft 3 or Counter Strike. Maybe in other countries you can find one with a normal hdd that comes with linux and is cheaper, but here you only get these two options.

Win XP is better than Linux on a netbook because netbooks usually come with a stripped down linux which is very fast, but you have to be a real linux geek to get wine and stuff on it.

I thought the review I included was advertising too but it points out some of the best features of this device, what I like about it is that it has sufficient processing power to be a suitable replacement for my actual laptop, it runs games almost as good, Acer Aspire one gets 8 - 15 fps in wow, my laptop gets 15 - 20 fps, both of them don't run the game well enough but at least the Aspire One is a lot more portable.

For gaming I'm getting a desktop pc, the only valid choice, a gaming laptop would be very overpriced, and I wouldn't be able to upgrade it later.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 pm

laggy?
crappy controller or something? good ssd's are generally faster.

counterargument:
linux is better on a netbook than XP because you don't pay for the OS, and it doesn't matter what OS you strip if you put your own on, which you ARE gonna do if you're the type that wants to do things that the original OS can't.
and the original OS is just as good for the stuff intended on a netbook as windows is. surfing, mailing, making documents, making basic images.

also, at what settings is that wow?
i mean, if you run at lowest rez, with all settings as low as possible? or what?

also, smart choice for the gaming rig.
Music over Matter

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:06 pm

WoW was on minimum, at the laptops optimal resolution, 1024x600 I think, but it looks pretty good on the tiny screen. And yeah SSD can be very fast, but not the one in the cheapest possible version of an already cheap laptop, the SSD drive on the Aspire One reads data very fast, but writes it kind of slow, so when ever windows saves various settings or just does it's shit, you can feel it.

I prefer windows because I don't just browse on my laptop, I also work with software that isn't native to linux and is a bitch to use with wine, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash, etc.

Plus, I sometimes go at a friend's holiday house in the mountains, we play CS, DOTA, and other older games, I sometimes visit my cousin or another friend for lan parties where we play Half Life, unreal tournament, Warcraft 2, even Doom sometimes. Even if I get these games to run on linux I can't even begin to think about getting them to work together on lan.

And I admin, I like linux, most distros are grate, but I'm not a linux guy, I've been using windows since Windows 3.1, I'm kind of used to it. I've tried switching to linux but it didn't work out, I can't even work in it, I know there are a lot of alternatives for dreamweaver for example, they may be better suited for web programmers but not for a web designer like me.

I try Ubuntu from time to time, I do my best but it's not even fully compatible with my current laptop, I never got the wi-fi to work and the ATI drivers for my integrated x1100 graphics card just keep getting worst, I get lag in normal things like minimizing a window. Which is sort of strange since I have a dual core processor and 2.5gb of ram. Linux is fast but GUIs still have a long way to catch up, I understand everything works grate for other ATI cards, and things have always been good for nVidia users, but not yet for me.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:56 pm

playing on lan makes no difference between linux or win, just FYI.
and those games you mentioned all work fine with wine, so does the adobe stuff.

the ati drivers used to be shit, but they got better a while back, after ati release the source.
go for the fglrx drivers, not the OS ones, it's still very much a work in progress. the official ati drivers could be seen as superior to the nvidia ones these days.

the linux GUI these days is better in everything compared to windows (compiz), runs on the oldest hardware without a hitch, looks brilliant, completely customizable to whatever you want, looks fluent and smooth.
smooth on old stuff example:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qddueXkD8E[/youtube]
Computer Specs: PIII 800 + 128 MB RAM + GeForce 2 MX/400 32 MB RAM
there's older ones out there, but this was a 5 sec google.
also, installing ati drivers used to be a bitch, not anymore.
ubuntu is indeed the smart choice tho, easiest for most.

you're right about a lot of win apps being irreplacable tho, and not everything can be done properly through wine, cedega or one of the others.
Music over Matter

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 am

I know that linux can do a lot, I just don't know how to do it myself, and tons of step by step tutorials don't always do it :)

Linux is for people who are willing and have the time to learn it. I love the idea but I still haven't gotten round to it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 am

true enough.
the step looks a lot bigger than it is tho, especially these days.
anyway, back on topic.
you gonna put win2k or 2k3(with a hack to get it to work like a workstation ofc) on it?
Music over Matter

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 am

I'm actually going to live it with XP Home.

Due to my MSDN Academic Alliance account I can download almost any micrsosoft product for free, so I don't even have to pirate stuff.

But the XP Home should be enough, I honestly don't know what I would be missing from XP Pro, all I could find was that Home doesn't save VPN passwords, but I don't want to save them anyway, VPN access to my server at work would mean anyone could delete my companies database of work files and stuff so I take no chances.

Right now I'm using Vista Home Basic, I had Vista Business from MSDN AA, but all I saw extra was Aero, which I disabled after a while anyway because those animations actually take a very little time to complete but that time added slows me down in an entire day of work.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Benchmark: 3D Mark 2001 3001 marks :)

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:03 am

I thought this was a forum not a tennis match. :)
Back and forth and back and forth...

I'm totally joking, guys. Feel free to continue your tech nerdery.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:07 am

I like to keep conversations here going... after all Hery made the Computers section after me and burned bitched at him about it, we said back then that it was necessary.

I'm still trying to justify it's presence :)

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:08 am

I like this being here. It gets used. Sparingly, but it makes it a lot easier to put things where they belong.

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:32 am

Haha. I still remember my post, when the computer section topic was made. I actually like this part of the forum, even though it's not used as much as the others, but simply because it does organize things and if someone needs some computer help they can just post it here.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.

Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.

Gravesent
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Postby Gravesent » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:34 pm

I got teh Acer Aspire One!

My old laptop (two years old that is) wasn't exactly showing signs of failing but the Acer Aspire 5100 series laptops are not knowned for their endurance or lenght of life so I sold it.

I put it up on an auction website and I aparently set the "Sell" price way too low because some dude bought it in 30 seconds :) I told the guy everything about the faulty wireless and the laptops age and previously fixed problems but regardless he was quite willing to get it...

Anyway, with the money that I got I bought an Aspire One 150 white netbook, which is now my only computer, the little thing is jst awsome and I'm kind of sorry for erasign the Linpus Lite Linux it came with because it was simply amasing (boots up in just a few seconds).

Windows XP boots up pretty fast too but I'm going to try and install Linpus Lite in dual boot with Windows because it simply rocks.

The laptop (or should I say netbook) has a very decent performance, I can play Counter Strike 1.6, Warcraft III (Dota) and even World of Warcraft (although WoW works qite slow and is only suitable for farming or leveling a new character as it's not exactly playeble in end game raids).

Overall a very good deal, but I'm not going to use it as my main PC forever, I'm hoping to be able to buy a Desktop system next month for regular use.

Anyway, a trully mobile device, the standard 2 cell battery lasts over two hours but that can be changed to 5 hours with a 6 cell battery and even more with a 9 cell battery (which I will probably purchase from eBay).

For my future Desktop I'm concidering:

Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Geforce 9600 GT
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Gygabyte motherboard capable of crossfire, AM2+ processors and build with solid capacitors

When it's performance will no longer be enough I'll just add another 9600 GT more RAM and a Quad Core CPU.

I know it's not top of the line but the total price goes to around 250 euros, getting just 10 % - 20 % extra performance would cost a whole lot more and I don't think it's worth it.

Return to “Computers”