Military Creates Fabricated Online Personae

For any computer related topics such as hardware, operating systems, computer problems and the like.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Palmer
damaged
damaged

Military Creates Fabricated Online Personae

Postby Palmer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 am

Not actual synthetic humans, just fake personae.
Apparently these 'fabricated personae' are all over Facebook and other places on the net for 'collection'.

The article has underlying biased towards the military and non-progressives though, which makes me wonder if this article itself is partially fabricated/mostly just slander.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/18/r ... al-people/
According to the above:

These days, with Facebook and Twitter and social media galore, it can be increasingly hard to tell who your "friends" are.

But after this, Internet users would be well advised to ask another question entirely: Are my "friends" even real people?

Reading even further through the article...

they also crafted detailed proposals for software that manages online "personas," allowing a single human to assume the identities of as many fake people as they'd like.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 am

For those people who just add others wether they know them or not............ look aout!
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 am

Facebook has a friend cap of 5000. More likely they'd use fan pages.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Palmer
damaged
damaged

Postby Palmer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 am

Yeah, that would make more sense too, because not everyone just adds random people who try to add them. ;)

However the article implies that it's not just Facebook.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Seems like HBGary, the company that counter-compromised by Anon is or was actually working on a software that would allow the easy installment and management of collectives of personaes (in other words, generating and establishing online personalities across several communites and social networks)

In other words, not only the military is interested in this kind of technology, but also marketing and PR agencies - in other words, every entity that is interested in shaping and changing opinions.

edit: Nevermind, I didn't bother to read the article before posting this.

edit edit: I still didn't read the article.

Palmer
damaged
damaged

Postby Palmer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 pm

HeRetiK wrote:Seems like HBGary, the company that counter-compromised by Anon is or was actually working on a software that would allow the easy installment and management of collectives of personaes (in other words, generating and establishing online personalities across several communites and social networks)

In other words, not only the military is interested in this kind of technology, but also marketing and PR agencies - in other words, every entity that is interested in shaping and changing opinions.

edit: Nevermind, I didn't bother to read the article before posting this.

edit edit: I still didn't read the article.

I don't understand... Can you break that down a little bit more. :D

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:24 pm

:D

=

Palmer
damaged
damaged

Postby Palmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Oh you figured me out.