USB Port Failures

For any computer related topics such as hardware, operating systems, computer problems and the like.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Zyn
divine
divine

USB Port Failures

Postby Zyn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 pm

I've had an ongoing issue with my laptop's USB ports. I've tried googling, scouring forums, and restarting/reinstalling various things for the passed few weeks without success. Here's what I've got:

Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop.

3 USB ports: 2 USB 2.0 ports on the right side, one composite USB/eSATA(whatever that is) port on the left side. the composite port still works perfectly. The USB 2 ports do no function at all. They do not connect to devices, they do not show errors when devices are connected, they do not react to devices connected to them. For example, inserting my mouse...does literally nothing whatsoever. However, transferring the mouse to the composite port makes the mouse work as intended.

I have tried restarting the computer, reinstalling the mouse software, and reinstalling all of the following drivers:

Generic USB Hub X 2
USB Root Hub X 2
USB Composite Device
USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C
Intel (R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family

I also have attempted to reinstall the driver "USB Input Device" and received the error "Device Unplugged".

I have troubleshot my computer through microsoft, toshiba, spybot, and Control Panel without any success. All of my drivers are up-to-date and the stock that came with the laptop, which worked with all of my USB devices upon arrival.

I have tried various devices, such as mice, printers, USB jump drives, ect. and all of them work in the composite but not the USB 2.0 slots.

If you have need of any additional information, feel free to ask. I have absolutely no idea what else I could try, nor any idea what the cause of this is. Please help.

EDIT: Additionally, USB-charged devices do not receive any power from these USB ports. I'm beginning to fear there is an internal problem with the hardware.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:51 pm

As a computer technician for a corporate environment, my first instinct would be to just replace it.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Is that a DIY project or is there someplace I can have that cheaply done? Cheap < $50USD.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

The Omniscient
undetermined
undetermined

Postby The Omniscient » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I think you could most likely replace your USB ports for less than $50. They don't cost too much, I'd take it to a repair shop if you want to done properly (unless you'd be confident enough to do it yourself),

Return to “Computers”