FTP channel?

Comments on this site, the movies, games, artwork, etc. are welcome!
Found bugs or is something not working the way it should work? Ideas on how this site could be improved? Post them here.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Azgarth
divine
divine

FTP channel?

Postby Azgarth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:27 pm

like the topic says, how would an FTP channel be?
i'd think it would be quite useful, allowing members to share stuff, that kind of thing.

i've got some music for example, and probably some games too, but it can be used for other stuff as well.

there would need to be rules on what's allowed to be uploaded though, and maybe an agreement that whatever is uploaded, is the sole responsibility of the uploader, that way, MD won't get sued if anyone would upload "famous game X" or whatever.

possible? usefull?

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:32 pm

There are other sites than can be used for this, but MINDistortion is not one of them.
I prefer to know what files are lying around on my server and I wouldn't have the time to fully monitor it. And this whole "sole responsibility of the uploader" thing wouldn't prevent me from getting kicked off the server in case anyone makes troubles.

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 pm

Besides, it would steal bandwith, right? We have torrents for games, music and movies so we don't really need an FTP. If you want to share something with the rest of us make a topic about it to inform us. My experience says that if we had an FTP it would only be used a little for a short while. That was what happened with the Burned's chat client, the IRC channel* Ardy is running and Darky's web radio.

*Popping in tomorrow, hopefully.

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Yeah, you lazy fucks :D

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 pm

hmm, i thought that the web radio might make a return as well?

anyway, i'd host it, but with my meager 40 kb/s upload rate, if i manage to pull that, and my 24/7 torrenting, it wouldn't be of use to anyone.

and it wouldn't be for the major stuff that's seeded by 100+ seeds or something, but more unknown stuff, i managed to pull some stuff from goteki(don't ask, i wanted to see if i liked it) from someone from IRC, tough luck getting that with torrents, and astica talked about some NZ bands, which i'd be interested in, that kind of stuff.

i know i get irritated by the speed from torrents, i usually see if i can get it from usenet, an ftp channel, or other means of direct download first, a lot faster, and with ftp, it becomes a market place as well, a place to show things, which might interest others.

if such a disclaimer thing would not suffice, it'd need some other way though, not sure what.

Return to “Comments, Suggestions & Bug Reports”