Covid

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Covid

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:17 pm

Man, could you imagine the conversations we would have been having with this going on back in the day? And to think I'm living in one of the worst areas affected. But I guess that's life in Trump's America.

Hope whoever of you left still floating out there in the aether are doing well.

Much love from your biggest hater <3
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

dot.
divine
divine

Re: Covid

Postby dot. » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

<3 how ya doing man?
I've got one hand in my pocket

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:57 pm

COVID!

What a shitshow. No leadership in our union of 50 states. Happy to be living in New York where although our governor might be a piece of shit, at least he took this crisis seriously....

That's gotta suck, dude. Eventually it will pass. It's just, those states that failed to react in time still have to do all the work only it will take longer and time will truck on taking lives daily. Sad. Not encouraging.

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Oh we have leadership.

They're just leading us to our graves while their wallets get fat.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:16 pm

You know, I'm actually really glad that none of you turned into Covid-19 conspiracy theorists. That may not be much but it's 2020 so I take what is offered.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:36 am

Its never too late. #Q #WWG1WGA
Is there a promised land

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:42 am

Aw geez!

Conspiracy theories have been getting stronger over the years before the pandemic, but Covid-19 really put them in overdrive. I find it especially funny how there were already a lot of crazy conspiracies around 5G before the pandemic, only now to be merged with a new generation of Covid-19 conspiracies. And each generation of conspiracy theories seem to make less sense than the generation before; it's almost as if the people's willingness for crazy theories is being probed (presumably by the deep state, Bill Gates or zionists).

Anyways. How's everyone holding up? For me the effects have luckily been rather limited. A little less freelance work than usual but enough to get by and I do enjoy the additional free time.

Luckily our government has acted swiftly and strongly, so my country came out fairly unscathed. Of course now you have people complaining about whether all of this was necessary, because you see, the pandemic wasn't so bad after all. smh

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:26 pm

My company moved entirely work-from-home with the expectation this would go away in a few months. Now that the only thing we know is we have no idea how long it will last, and corporate offices aren't cheap, we've made the decision permanent.

I work with schools as my job, so getting contacts right now isn't the easiest task. My mom lost her job and depends on unemployment insurance to help, but the expanded benefits expire this month. (She'll still have help from me so not the hugest worry, but I'm scared for others in the same situation with no help.)

A really close work friend OD'd and died a couple weeks back. We won't even be able to attend a funeral for her. She was an amazing person who's shine I will never forget. I can't help but think if this wasn't happening she would have had the right people around to prevent her relapse.

I'd probably have more positive stuff to point out, but other than having a decent job, a vehicle, and a place to live, everything feels so tenuous that even talking about it feels like courting with disaster.

Thank the heavens for good friends, though. Without the people I love having my back, and me their's, this would be a lot harder to get through.
Is there a promised land

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:04 am

HeRetiK wrote:You know, I'm actually really glad that none of you turned into Covid-19 conspiracy theorists. That may not be much but it's 2020 so I take what is offered.

yes, thank god.

I was hoping to deal with everyone saying everything wasn't necessary, but here we are. I'm really considering moving to a different country, especially if Trump is re-elected. I'm not thrilled about Biden, either though.

Spaced Ape wrote:
Thank the heavens for good friends, though. Without the people I love having my back, and me their's, this would be a lot harder to get through.

Yeah, same here. If I didn't have my people, I'd be losing it. I'm just happy my household all has work from home and that none of my friends are being dumb about this, either.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:12 am

Spaced Ape wrote:A really close work friend OD'd and died a couple weeks back. We won't even be able to attend a funeral for her. She was an amazing person who's shine I will never forget. I can't help but think if this wasn't happening she would have had the right people around to prevent her relapse.

Sorry for your loss.

dot. wrote:I'm really considering moving to a different country, especially if Trump is re-elected. I'm not thrilled about Biden, either though.

I don't think anyone is thrilled about Biden, but please go vote. As a mere onlooker it's disheartening to see a person such as Trump at the stern of such a beautiful country such as yours.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 pm

I was originally a Warren supporter but voted Sanders when I felt he was the likely candidate carrying the progressive flag. I'm very impressed with the work Biden has done to bring in ideas and people from the more progressive camp. Certainly he's not perfect, but he has empathy and a long record of continuous public service. And he has experts around that he'll actually listen to.

But let me be frank, I'd even vote Mitt Romney if it was him running against Trump.
Is there a promised land

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:20 pm

OOOOF spaced. I'm so sorry to hear that. *hug*

@hery, ABSOLUTELY. I'm signed up for mail in voting so I vote for every election from home.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

dot. wrote:OOOOF spaced. I'm so sorry to hear that. *hug*

That I'm voting Biden? :?
Is there a promised land

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:40 am

BREAKING NEWS -- Trump sad: "Nobody likes me"
In other news -- US coronavirus death toll now at 152,000

(Even Austrian news outlets have been writing about how Trump is sad that nobody likes him, let that sink in)

Spaced Ape wrote:That I'm voting Biden? :?

Probably that Mitt Romney confession.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 pm

Would you blame me? How are things in Austria, anyway? We don't really get much news about those parts except for BIG EU BLOB DOES SCARY THING!
Is there a promised land

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Spaced Ape wrote:Would you blame me? How are things in Austria, anyway? We don't really get much news about those parts except for BIG EU BLOB DOES SCARY THING!

Austria is doing quite alright, given the circumstances.

We had a right winged government until earlier last year when a video was leaked of the party leader trying to sell out Austria to Russian oligarchs which lead to a few resignations and triggered re-elections later that year. Which is doubly good because I'm not sure how Austria would have fared otherwise during the pandemic -- judging from their usual politics they would have either done too little too late or attempted to shift Austria closer towards a police state (ie. what Hungary has been doing).

In the end Austria has done so well during the pandemic (in terms of health) that people have been mostly complaining about how the measures were overkill. The economy took a large hit though and especially those friends of mine that are working in the event industry have seen better days. Unemployment has risen of course, but since the government is partially subsidizing pay for employes that would otherwise have been let go the impact is rather limited. More boredom than existential fears, luckily.

Facemasks are debated as well though. And since it's not really politicized people simply find other stupid reasons to complain about mask rules.

What sort of scary things are being reported about the big EU blob? Like how covid-19 is being handled, borders getting closed, eastern european dictatorships rising or something something refugees?

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:37 pm

HeRetiK wrote:What sort of scary things are being reported about the big EU blob? Like how covid-19 is being handled, borders getting closed, eastern european dictatorships rising or something something refugees?

Nothing in particular, just many Americans view the EU as an anti-sovereignty organization. Same kind of horror stories told to folks in the UK to get them to leave.
Is there a promised land

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Spaced Ape wrote:Nothing in particular, just many Americans view the EU as an anti-sovereignty organization. Same kind of horror stories told to folks in the UK to get them to leave.

To be fair many populists within the EU tell the same story. And even though many crisis are putting solidarity within the EU to the test (first banking, then refugees, now covid) coherence still seems to prevail for the most part. Also I guess most people know deep in their heart that our teeny weeny countries have to stand together, if they are to stand a chance on the world stage.

Return to “General Discussion”