*Necronomicon*

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:07 am

Yes, religion did serve a purpose in the cultural evolution of man. And now its negatives vastly outdo its positives.

I have a LOT of respect for religion. Just none for followers.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 am

Religion isn't as important as it used to be, yes, but I think it still serves its purpose as long as it puts faith into its followers. I'm not a very religious person, but I see nothing wrong with someone praying to the god (or gods) of their choice. To some people it gives orientation, and I guess it beats living in a cold, godless world.

However, of course, there's the conflicts and intolerance between the various religions. As well as the organisational structures. I think these factors are the core of the problems that religions causes. But these problems exist independent from religion.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:11 am

These ideas are extraordinary and groundbreaking.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 pm

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNNN

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 pm

I see religion as a very useful facet in the human life, but seriously, is any religion any more believeable or explainable than another?
Take, for example, that the basis of magic could be tied with the principal of thought. A theory is circulating that, on the most basic level, everything might be constructed of thought instead of matter, and that thought is, in its own way, an energy. Now take magic:
It could be the use of extreme thought to manipulate the baic principles of matter to shift and form the world. That would explain the use of mantras as a focal point for both the conscious and subconscious minds to work with.
How's that any less believeable than that an omnipresent force created everything from nothing?
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Sol
deformed
deformed

Postby Sol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:06 am

And even when I speak of my religion, I am not an evangelist. I do not chant my religion and preach it to the public. I do not find forcing others to believe or think as I do, appropriate. No one should (even though some do) obtain that much power.
"Something beyond the window of her eyes, there is a black whole sucking the life out of me."

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 am

Sol wrote:No one should (even though some do) obtain that much power.

No one has that power, though; the only people who change are those who are not mentally strong.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.
Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.

Sol
deformed
deformed

Postby Sol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 am

Correction:

There are individuals who attempt at controlling what others think/believe.
"Something beyond the window of her eyes, there is a black whole sucking the life out of me."

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:55 am

Heretik wrote:To some people it gives orientation, and I guess it beats living in a cold, godless world.

I dunno bout you, but I don't find the world cold unless I don't have a friend to hug. Godlessness doesn't imply lack of warmth to me. (And no, I am not taking the word "cold" literally, here.)

Zynath wrote:Take, for example, that the basis of magic could be tied with the principal of thought. A theory is circulating that, on the most basic level, everything might be constructed of thought instead of matter, and that thought is, in its own way, an energy.

1. That's not a theory any more than the tripartite nature of God is a theory. It's a tenet. A "theory" is scientific, observational, and testable.

2. Thought is a cellular function of the biological organ called the "brain." It is not a construct of matter and energy in any other context. That's an extraordinarily stupid "theory."

How's that any less believeable than that an omnipresent force created everything from nothing?

It isn't, as neither are. :lol:

Sol wrote:And even when I speak of my religion, I am not an evangelist. I do not chant my religion and preach it to the public. I do not find forcing others to believe or think as I do, appropriate. No one should (even though some do) obtain that much power.

Neither does Tom Cruise. But we still laugh our asses off at his ridiculous beliefs.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Sol
deformed
deformed

Postby Sol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:08 am

I find that a religious belief should be unknown. It gives a sense of individuality (if you have your seperate beliefs). Not everything can be explained, that doesn't mean it never occured. It seems selfish to think that humans should know everything about anything before they believe it is real; and if someone else doesn't know everything about it, then their beliefs are "stupid" and should be laughed at.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:17 am

Looking for individuality is sure to make you lose it.

It's like the game, which you all just lost.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Sol wrote:Not everything can be explained

Correction: Not everything has been explained. Everything can be explained.

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Sol
deformed
deformed

Postby Sol » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:28 am

Anarch wrote:
Sol wrote:Not everything can be explained easily

Correction: Not everything has been explained. Everything can be explained.

There, better?

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:08 am

Point taken, Anarch, I wasn't politically correct :lol:
Either way, my meaning being that no religion is more believable than another to some degree, so we should all just live nihilistic lives and move on :)
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:45 pm

a life without religion doesn't equal a nihilistic life. maybe you should look up words before using them..

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:47 pm

I don't exist.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't think it's possible to say, from a nihilistic standpoint, that it is better to be nihilist.

Zyn's wording was off but the core of his statement is alright.

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Voly wrote:I don't exist.

FINALLY.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.

Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:00 pm

...that wasn't meant to be taken literally, thus the laughing and the smiling faces. And I know what nihilism means, thank you.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 pm

HeRetiK wrote:DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNNN

It was sarcasm. :oops:

@anarch: you really need to start using logic in your arguments. It's harder to figure out why you think something is wrong instead of just that you do.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:03 am

Which of my statements would you like to see explained logically?

____

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:48 pm

2. Thought is a cellular function of the biological organ called the "brain." It is not a construct of matter and energy in any other context.

That's an extraordinarily stupid "theory."

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:34 am

What? Do you think that thought is some sort of metaphysical construct that flows around and is capable of being a building block of matter and energy at the sub-atomic level?

I think it's a pretty basic statement to call thought what it is: a function of the cerebrum in animals with central nervous systems. Specifically, what did I not say in that post that you think ought to have been said?

____

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:33 am

That's an extraordinarily stupid "theory."

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:32 pm

:lol:@G_C playing with his food.

Return to “General Discussion”