Does Anybody Around Here Read?

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

User avatar
pink_lemonade
damaged
damaged
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:24 am
Location: The Moon

Postby pink_lemonade » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:40 am

Yes because the tiny cinema that's closest to me shows R movies ;)
Actually, it shows bugger all movies at all. :(

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:05 am

Voly wrote:I've heard he gives you a Pandora's box at the end of the Dark Tower series, where it says to stop reading but everyone does anyway.


Correct.

I did read on, because I wanted to see if I agreed that it was better without the ending. I dunno, it was okay either way, but I think it was slightly better without it. I do advise reading the ending though, just to see whether you think it's better with or without it. It's nice that King treats the ending as optional, that way you can choose for yourself which ending you prefer, rather than just having one shoved at you.

I disliked Susanna's ending, though. It struck me as something I would not have chosen, in her place.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.


____

User avatar
daemon
divine
divine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Postby daemon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Voly wrote:Jay Asher has written one book... that I'm aware of. So really, you can't classify him with the rest. "Not really specific books," generally means the author has authored multiple books.


Good point. Apologies.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

User avatar
evilredqueen
divine
divine
Posts: 7412
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: earth

Postby evilredqueen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Anarch that is the point of a good story.. you don't get to choose.

I liked the ending but I guess I really knew what was coming.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS


User avatar
Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass
Posts: 8862
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:57 am
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:52 pm

That is most assuredly not the point of a good story. If that were the case, D&D would have never become popular, nor many modern role-playing games (Fallout 3, KOTOR, etc.).

Though I'm thinking "point" wasn't exactly the word you were looking for.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:08 am

I think she just means that a good story should have a good ending, and it shouldn't be necessary to have two for different readers' preferences, but I don't necessarily agree.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

User avatar
evilredqueen
divine
divine
Posts: 7412
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: earth

Postby evilredqueen » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Ya there should always be one ending where everyone gets wiped out and the other where everyone lives happily ever after... :)
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS


User avatar
Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass
Posts: 8862
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:57 am
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Postby Spaced Ape » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:06 am

Ah, I see your point though.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

User avatar
Sunshine
divine
divine
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: The Garden of Live Flowers

Postby Sunshine » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Anarch wrote:
Voly wrote:I've heard he gives you a Pandora's box at the end of the Dark Tower series, where it says to stop reading but everyone does anyway.


Correct.


I don't remember what it was exactly, but King wrote something at the very end that made me feel like a total assmunch for reading on.
But the first book made a lot more sense afterwards.
I really can't find anything to dislike about any part of the Dark Tower series.
I can't kick monster butts, but I can feed your hungry guts.

User avatar
obskewer
divine
divine
Posts: 2554
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:25 am
Location: Nowhere visible

Postby obskewer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:56 am

I am in the middle of a book called "Positively Fifth Street". I also picked up several books on psych and sociology. One on how personality tests are actually making people dumber.

User avatar
dot.
divine
divine
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Postby dot. » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I've been reading The Hobbit to Jimi.
I've got one hand in my pocket

User avatar
Morph
distorted
distorted
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Postby Morph » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Hanif Kureishi, out of pure joy
Feel my hands around your throat.

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm reading "The Husband" by Dean Koontz. It's alright, I guess, not great, but it passes the time.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
HartKat
damaged
damaged
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:46 am
Location: I dont even know anymore!(holy shit a guy with wings!)
Contact:

Postby HartKat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

"A good story" is all determined by opinion.Not everybody likes the same book.
WAIT!, were working with some really unstable herbs!

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:29 pm

HartKat wrote:"A good story" is all determined by opinion.

Why is that¿

User avatar
Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass
Posts: 8862
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:57 am
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Postby Spaced Ape » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:14 pm

I looked for Godspeaker at two different bookstores and couldn't find it.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:14 pm

hartkat,
up to a degree, i agree, of course a lot of it is subjective.
however, there are things that are seen almost universally as bad points, such as plotholes, crooked language (outside of stylistic usage) and others.

@topic
innocent when you dream, a book about tom waits (discussion 'tween him 'n elvis costello was awesome)
reading in original english

this is your brain on music, a book about the effects on music on people
likewise in english

rumo & the wonders in the dark, a story, with art by the writer. walter moers (the writer) made some nice stuff, and though this one isn't as good as the 13 1/2 lives of capt'n bluebear, it's still pretty nice.
reading in dutch, translated from german.

divina comedia, reading it again, it's something that helps relax my mind when i need to sleep.
reading in dutch, translated from old italian.

random stuff by midas dekkers, a dutch biologist and writer.
in dutch.

picking up one of these every night and reading a bit, sometimes during the day as well when my schedule and music allow it.

edit:
oh, and good omens, by neil gaiman and terry pratchett.
listening to this as audiobook, so i forgot about it.
it's a nice combination of both gaiman's and pratchett's style, quite enjoyable.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:43 am

Eschatos wrote:I looked for Godspeaker at two different bookstores and couldn't find it.


Aw, sad. If it helps, the first book is called Empress, and the author's name is Karen Miller.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:19 pm

Now onto "The Lone Drow" by R.A. Salvatore. Also; my book's editing is almost done, though I could still use a few more 3rd party editors.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
evilredqueen
divine
divine
Posts: 7412
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: earth

Postby evilredqueen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:47 pm

^ Is that an invite?
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS


Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 am

I would but I've got a series to read.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

That is, that is. You interested?

Fair warning, it'll suck LOTS after about chapter 30 or so, cuz that's as far as I've made it with personal editing.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:45 am

"Trader" by Charles de Lint. For any guy who has been a jerk I recommend this man's books. He may have a penis, but his novels really put you into the woman's shoes in any situation. It really teaches you empathy. Hell, any one should read his novels.

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:44 pm

... Are you a misandrist?
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

User avatar
evilredqueen
divine
divine
Posts: 7412
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: earth

Postby evilredqueen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Yes Zyn I am interested. I would luv it and I have the "Queen" of words as a friend.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS



Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests