Cross dressing and gender

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Astica
divine
divine

Cross dressing and gender

Postby Astica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 am

This article got me to thinking. How many people here find men or women cross dressing/dressing in drag attractive?
Do you like to cross dress yourself?
What are your views on androgyny and how do they relate to your views on gender?
What are your views on gender?
What is your opinion on the article?

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:16 pm

No.
No.
It's up to you. I personally like women than are feminine and my male friends are all very obviously male.
My views on gender? Can you clarify a bit?
I don't have time to read the whole article, but I'd like to point out that the man who was performing the experiment looked pretty feminine for a drag queen, so possibly someone who is blitzed out of their fucking mind truly believed he was female? After all, when I'm truly drunk I've hit on hideous girls thinking they're hot. It doesn't seem to far fetched that a man who was drunk would believe a convincing tranny is actually female.
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive
Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine
The only thing I need is time
To change your mind, I said

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 pm

No.
NO.
I don't care either way. However, I find more interest in tomboys than feminine girls, if that's relevant.
Gender is irrelevant. I view people lastly by their gender.
I don't figure I'd ever find a man dressed as a woman attractive. I'm not saying this from a social standpoint, I just have very strange senses of the terms "desirable","beautiful", ect. and can't imagine them being applied to a masculine body.

@ Chiche: I'm under the impression those drunken men still KNEW they were talking to other dudes, not women.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Yangire
latency
latency

Postby Yangire » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:19 am

I'm just gonna reply to these in order.

I love cross-dressers, not gonna lie. Drag queens, I instantly think of overly flamboyant guys in bad dresses and wigs. I know that's not always the case, but that's just how I picture them.
I don't exactly cross-dress myself, but I do go for a more gender neutral, androgynous look.
I like androgynous people because, to me, it's just more pleasing to the eye. For myself, it's just because I don't really see myself as female, but I don't see myself as male, either. I'm just a person, nothing more, nothing less.
My views on gender are pretty limited, really. It's just the bits you were born with.

I didn't even read the article, actually. I'm using a DSi to browse, and the website would not load quickly enough.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 am

don't and don't, aside for once on a dare, i'd wear a dress if one of my friends would, she hadn't worn one since she was three or something.

i don't think androgyny is attractive, i can see the appeal, but it's not for me. i'd place androgyny in the looks department of the sex/gender/appearance triangle, and thus generally not THAT important for me personally.

gender or sex? if the former, i myself am sure of my masculinity, enough that what others think about my gender doesn't matter much. i find that i can generally get along better with women than with men.
if sex, that's simple, i'm male, i try to treat others as equally as possible, focusing more on the behaviour of a person, which leans on gender rather than sex.
i used to have a biology teacher who kept 'confusing' the two, it was so annoying having him say gender each time just 'cause he didn't want to say sex.

interesting article, good that stuff like that is getting out more and more these days.
he does look pretty convincing, yeah, but the bathroom bit was the most interesting part. it speaks for itself, really.
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:50 am

I don't like my girls to be the archetypal female with the wideish hips and large bosom. I wouldn't say I prefer androgyny, either, but I lean closer to liking androgynous girls than obviously female ones.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:10 am

too big boobs can be a turnoff, as can an overly hourglass or wide figure, sure, but there's more than one way to look feminine/masculine.
Music over Matter

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 am

Cross dressing women and men CAN be attractive, its not something I personally go for though. Well, not always :P
I associate drag queens with being much more masculine than cross dressers, as their style seems less to convince and more to be all big and colourful and dramatic. That's not really my thing at all.

I don't cross dress, but I think it would be fun to sometimes, and to adopt male gender archetypes while doing so, but I haven't yet tried it.

I like androgyny, and tend to prefer androgynous people eye-candy wise. I grew up with weird views on gender, I guess. I just don't like excessive amounts of masculinity or femininity, in either sex.

Gender isn't something that really means anything to me in relation to other people. I never considered myself as having a gender when I was younger, and only in the last 3 or 4 years have I really adopted one. I was quite androgynous when I was younger, but can also look quite female, which I do these days. I guess I've just always seen strictly defined gender as a bad thing.

I thought the article was interesting. His talking about the looks he got when he first walked in and people seemed disgusted made me sad, I thought Wellington was more open minded than that. As AUG said, alcohol may have had something to do with their opening up to the concept, but there is also the chance that Andy looked more feminine than some of the girls there, he obviously put quite a lot into it :lol: I guess, like gender, the idea of strictly defined sexuality seems odd to me too. As BJ says, there is a taste for every flavour.

Chara
damaged
damaged

Postby Chara » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Based on what I've seen, guys dressing up in drag is mostly hilarious. And most guys don't seem comfortable with it. I do know guys that are comfortable enough, however, to wear nail polish and some make up without trying to make themselves look like they just ran through a cheap charity store after being 'gang banged by crayola' and that is actually quite attractive. Chicks who dress in a masculine manner seem to want to assert some degree of 'independance' or such, don't think that's the right word for what I'm trying to say... and again, aren't just trying to look like they're NOT comfortable with bring feminine. Either gender taking aspects of the other whilst being comfortable with both works best I feel.

*realises there was an article, reads it

WELL. That was funny in a non-mick-taking way. Nice job. :D That made me smile.
An experiment with existence is showing up anomalies
You see the day dissolve into the morrow
And the slow growing of your second skin
Adrenaline begins in the marrow and then intoxicates your oxygen

wrong43
latency
latency

Postby wrong43 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:19 pm

I beleive that people should be people and that if someone wants to do somthing weird by my standards could be normal to them. Who am I to judge?
...!!!!...FABULOUS!!!!!

Slave
distorted
distorted

Postby Slave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

I love cross dressers, and androgeny. Ultra feminine women are hot, very masculine men are hot, effeminate guys are also 'hot' to me. However I seem to be more attracted to 'gender stereotypes' (ie. masculine men, feminine women who wear dresses).
Tell me about the dream where we pull the bodies out of the lake
and dress them in warm clothes again.

"I’ve lost count of all the times I made it home alive and wished I hadn’t"

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:10 pm

What I got from your post just now is "everyone is always hot".

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Slave
distorted
distorted

Postby Slave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Nah, not everyone. I'm actually very selective, and admittedly fairly shallow. It's not just looks that count anyway.
Tell me about the dream where we pull the bodies out of the lake

and dress them in warm clothes again.

"I’ve lost count of all the times I made it home alive and wished I hadn’t"

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Good article Amy.
I like androgynous people. It can be like opening a box of Cracker Jacks and who doesn't like that ? Most of my clubbing time is spent in alternative bars. I have met people that I simply could not tell unless I got their clothes off. I don't really like "butch " women but some women pull off the gender neutral look really well. I guess I kind of do that when I go fishing and have gotten some second looks at the bait store. Like Aug I do not like the flamboyant cross dressers. I have slept with every kind of gender bender there is. It is the person under the look that counts.

Aug the difference between a fox and a dog is ten beers.

You know you have had too much too drink when you wake up in the morning to someone laying on your arm and would rather chew it off than wake them up.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:51 am

Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Chara
damaged
damaged

Postby Chara » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:58 am

... screw my other post, dat's hawt.

I do know guys that are comfortable enough, however, to wear nail polish and some make up

... and I didn't mean the stereotypical emo fringed hot topic clothes wearing idiot. -_- Damn I'd forgotten how that could be percieved as something other then 'normal guys with quirks.'
An experiment with existence is showing up anomalies
You see the day dissolve into the morrow
And the slow growing of your second skin
Adrenaline begins in the marrow and then intoxicates your oxygen

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Shit. Most guys I know wear nail polish and/or make up at least occasionally. None of them are emo, and its certainly not considered to be an androgynous or "cross dressing" type thing. I guess it must just be a cultural difference.

EDIT: I suppose I still know more girls who regularly wear make up than guys. I've never really thought about it like that before.

Chichevache
divine
divine

Postby Chichevache » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't know any guys that wear make up. Not even gay ones. The only guys who do are attempting to be transgender, and therefore are not guys.
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive

Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine

The only thing I need is time

To change your mind, I said

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:58 pm

I know a couple of dudes who do, but they're mostly theater-loving types who are constantly overdramatic.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

bobmorton
latency
latency

Postby bobmorton » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 am

hmm I think they look good and very creative with their fashion statements. But I don't get attracted with crossdressers.

Maybe in one activity like in school theater but not to do in a normal day, to be a crossdresser.

edit:
removed link.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:05 am

Bots don't care about gender.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16 am

some dudes are totally fucking hot when they want to be (ie. when they set their mind to appearing feminine). it's scary.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 am

Sure.
Sure.
I wish the human species were hermaphroditic.
The article was semi-amusing.

I think I may not have shown MD my boots. (My skinnyjeans got damaged, so a full figure photo will be a while in the coming.)

DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:01 am

How did you damage your jeans? I like the heels on your boots, they're a good height and look easy to walk on without being wide enough that they can collapse inwards with overuse (like mine :( ) Never been a fan of side zips, though, but I guess it depends on how you walk as to if they bother you.

Andy looks quite good in drag, although that fuzzy top thing kinda accentuates his masculine shoulders in a strange way.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:37 am

Nice boots Anarch .... :-)
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Return to “General Discussion”