Remember When We Use To Talk About Shit?

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Remember When We Use To Talk About Shit?

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:55 am

So yes, title says it all. I could technically resurrect my Politics of Today board for this but I'm not sure a lot of what is happening in the world of today really falls under that banner. Moreso it is like 'Society of Today'.

Lots of shit has been happening lately, world changing stuff perhaps (bet I mused like that before), and maybe it will trigger a little discussion in this board again.

Anyone interested?
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:01 am

Yep, lead on young man.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Alright, well...

Islam, The religion of peace. It hasn't really had a good time of late due to extremists. Worst of them is Islamic State, or Islamic State of Iraq and Levant.

Attacks from Islamic Fanatics belonging to or inspired by Islamic State are hitting everywhere, just recently from Paris to Sydney to even in my own countries capital of Ottawa. The worst of course being the Paris shooting, which resulted in the most devastating loss.

Worst, Islamic State is growing in presence everywhere. They aren't just in Iraq and Syria, they have cells all over the Middle East and are probably even developing so cells in the Western world as well.

It's likely this will continue to get worse as well as time progresses, and tired young Muslims continue to flock under Islamic States banner.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:34 am

I'm not sure if Global Warming is still being debated that much these days, but I can't help but wonder to what extent it may play into the temperatures where I live.

So far, I think that these has been the warmest Winter where I live since I have been alive; or at least certainly the one with the least amount of snow. There isn't even slush outside - quite literally when precipitation fell (of which there has been plenty) it has been rain, rain, rain. Christmas Day too, it rained.

The weather certainly seems to be shifting and becoming more unpredictable in terms of what someone can expect weather-wise where they live. While we can predict what the weather will be like today or tomorrow, we can't seem to predict what it will be like next season - where at least we could someone tell if it was at least going to be hot or cold.

I wonder what we may face in the future.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:58 am

Ahem, double post.

I wish Islamic Fundamentalism would just vanish from the earth, but that won't happen so long as we as humans expose children to atrocities like war and rape. You've got people who've grown up in war-torn areas, you're definitely going to see a perpetuation of that chaos well into the coming generations.

I don't want to have kids because that would just invite more souls into this already despicable world. And my children-to-be won't mind because they'll never have existed in the first place to complain.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 pm

It was a double post but I don't see a problem with it since I made the second post 36 hours after the first.

Here's another entry into this thread however:

I'm not sure if this story has gone global at all, but an ongoing event here in Halifax is is regards to the Dalhousie 13.

The Dalhousie 13 refers to a group of students who were part of a facebook group 'Class of DDS Gentlemen' - DDS referring to Dalhousie Dental School.

This was a private Facebook group, and within some misogynist posts were made; specifically in reference to classmates of the other gender at the university. Eventually the posts became public, possibly due to to a member of the Facebook sharing the posts with one of the people the misogynist posts referred too.

The event has blown up through media outlets, and there has been much outrage as a result. Additionally, there has been a lot of outrage continuing from the story as a result of what people feel has been a lot of mishandling of the issue by Dalhousie University.

Currently the Dalhousie 13 have been suspended and are unable to attend classes with the other students. It is assumed that any career in Dentistry may also be at jeopardy. 1 of the Dalhousie 13 'may' also be free of guilt due to blowing the whistle on the situation.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 am

You know i knew IS was going to come up first. :)

The stain on humanity that is Islamic fundamentalism should be wiped from the face of this earth, and the US is taking the first step at the moment. I'm not so sure that exposing children to atrocities is the reason, but it doesn't get rid of the adults that preach hate and intolerance. The worst of these people come to this/your country after running away from their own and want to impose their rules on our society. These people i want dead, and their beliefs squashed under a boot. This land is free, stop trying to make it a land of the ignorant.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Well, we don't have to talk about IS. I brought it up but it isn't like they are the only thing going on in the world.

Another entry for example to discuss:

I'm not sure where things are headed, but Oil Prices are down. The United States seems to be on its way to self-sufficiency regarding energy matters as well.

In Canada, there is economic uncertainty obviously as a result of all this. Oil Exports aren't generating as much money, and this puts more questions on the pursuit of pipelines through the Canadian West, Canadian East, and United States South.

Of course, with such uncertainty with pipelines, this raises a bigger question of how the gas will flow? It isn't like the Alberta Oil Sands are going to stop pumping oil. As of now, the case is that a lot of the Oil is being shipped by Rail.

However, what will the future hold for rail? I'm pretty sure I saw some recent musings about train lines looking to cut down the number of people needed to run trains from 2 to 1. While I hope that won't happen due to safety, I wonder if it will and if safety will be at risk.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Gasoline here $1.69 a gallon. I think my greastest fear is that most Americans ... even the Christians do not understand how the Muslims think. You may have a friend who is Muslim and they may be very nice to you ... but in their eyes we are still infidels and even though they may not kill you, they would not shed a tear or lose any sleep if another Muslim killed you ... you are just an infidel and will always be so. Cristians make a mistake and it's cool .. I can be forgiven and move on .. a Muslim misses prayer or speaks incorrectly and it is off with their head. The degree the Muslims take their beliefs too is something Americans do not understand. I have read that in parts of Michigan .. Dearborn .. being my example, have so many Muslims in one place that American women are wearing the head covers so as to not have any problems in that part of the town. This is scary. I am in favor of religious freedom but I think we all should take a minute to understand how differently they think and what this means to our future. Do we ship them out? Kil them? Or do we do nothing and let them slowly creep into our society until their foothold is to strong ?

GC I hear ya ... you sound like my sister. :)
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:32 am

This isn't really something I know much about, but its been in the news enough to think about.

Airplanes seem to have this problem of crashing if they are related to the Malay Archipelago. We have Malaysian Airlines have a plane go down last year in March and there has been no sign of where the wreckage is. Another got shot down in Ukraine

Now AirAsia has had a plane go down, and while the wreckage has at least been found, it has occurred within a year of the other three Airliners.

I don't know whether there is much more to say, but it certain is enough to draw attention too.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:08 am

They haven't even found the wreckage from the first one. At least they know what happened to the Air Asia and Ukraine flights. When i see the search for the first flight going on it amazes me how much water they have to go through. It really astounds me just how much water there is on this earth.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:54 pm

Water only accounts for 0.02% of our planet’s total mass. :P

The first plane landed ... there is now a mass grave of passengers and it has been parted out. The pilot turned off the oxygen, climbed and everyone died very quickly, all cell phones and valuables were removed. They then landed at a predetermined location. I will believe this until they find me a better answer.

AirAsia ... pilot asked for higher altitude and was refused. Aircraft and bad storms do not mix. They are saying the pilot was later trying to climb quickly ... 8000 feet a minute, proably trying to get over the storm he didn't want to go into in the first place. Climbing that fast he got a buildup of ice and came out of the sky like a rock. When he was refused clearance to climb the first time he should have declared an emergency and climbed anyhow. Cause of crash ... pilot error.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Don't know if you would blame that on the pilot - that's sounds to me like it is more of a policy error or controller error to me.

Of course it is all made worse by the fact that the airlines are quickly growing in that part of the world.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:16 pm

The pilot has final say ... I am a pilot and he made a bad judgement call. The refusal to climb put him in the situation be he has the final say. He may have lost his job but everyone would still be alive. He had the right to turn that aircraft around if he had chose to do so. Some controllers head may roll but the final decision was and always will be the pilot in command.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:06 am

I know even less about this then I do about airplanes in the Malay Archipelago.

Greece had an election, and the Syriza party has won. Who is Syriza and what does it stand for?
    *An acronym meaning the "Radical Coalition of the Left", Syriza was formed in 2004 as an umbrella group
    *Led by 40-year-old Alexis Tsipras
    *The party first came to prominence following the 2008 Greek riots
    *It promises an end to Greece's painful austerity measures and wants to renegotiate its debt
    *Markets worry about a Greek debt default and a possible exit from the eurozone, though Syriza says it wants to keep the euro

I don't know much about the situation but it seems like it is worth watching.
Last edited by Davion Fuxa on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Saw people talking about it last night in game chat. The general thought was they elected the wrong party. Guess it will be interesting to see what happens.

New England in the Super bowl !!!!

** they cheated to get there but so did Bush .. oh well. **

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 am

So, might as well put this here -

Environment Canada wrote:Blizzard conditions with poor visibility occasionally near zero in snow and blowing snow are expected on Tuesday. A developing low pressure system over the U.S. Seaboard today will intensify into a large storm as it moves slowly northeastward toward the Maritimes tonight and Tuesday. Heavy snow will develop overnight or Tuesday morning and spread northeastward during the day. Very strong northeast winds gusting to 100 km/h or possibly higher will give blizzard conditions with near-zero visibilities on Tuesday. General snowfall amounts of 15 to 30 cm are expected. Over parts of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island snow will mix with or change to ice pellets later in the afternoon and in the evening.

Least I'm not down south in New York I guess.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:09 pm

We have had a mild winter so you can please keep it by you. :P

Be safe.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Easily accomplished. Wasn't much of a storm to speak of - Snows pretty well stopped and everyone is out and about shoveling.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:30 pm

77F here in San Marcos. Bright and shiny.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Lucky bastard... And the bastards in Western Canada....... I hear it is around 70F in Calgary, Alberta, or it was.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:20 pm

You crazy Americans and your Fahrenheit! About 5°c here in Vienna, sunny and snowy.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Heh, you should see some of the terrible articles that sometimes get produced in the newspaper. Check out the terrible work with conversions in this one:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/world/1264160-airasia-plane-climbed-sharply-then-plunged-indonesia-says

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:50 pm

HeRetiK wrote:You crazy Americans and your Fahrenheit! About 5°c here in Vienna, sunny and snowy.

Been -15 C here for a week ... today is warm at -1C

Better Hery ? :)

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:22 am

I'm not sure if it was here or not that it was noted, but I did something for the first time on this forum that I never expected myself to do.

I now have an Avatar.

Return to “General Discussion”