Remember When We Use To Talk About Shit?

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:15 am

- 15C OMG last time i felt that cold i was in the sand pit.

Its 35C here and 70% humidity. The pool water today was 27C. I love this place.

Ok, how about that global fitness trend Crossfit?

I have been into it for a year now. Not that i go to those gyms/studio's they have but i get online workouts from sealfit.com, there is just something about the ' constantly varied movement ' that i love!. Add in all those gymnastic moves and every workout kicks my arse. Of course the upside being that i am fitter than i have ever been, and in my line of work that helps.

Opinions?
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:50 pm

CrossFit seems like just another fad that blows up and will die after a few years and more people come to understand how crap it can be:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI[/youtube]

Though I honestly don't care what your routine is, if you're looking to better yourself then fuck the haters. Just don't be this guy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viQnHOXyqEg[/youtube]
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Any exercise is good, the more fun you have getting it the better.

Ash ... what is your line of work now?
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 am

So, been getting hit hard by the weather lately, so I figure it is time for an old favorite Canadian Pastime.... Complaining about the weather.

Weather has been pretty horrible, we be getting hit by Nor'easter after Nor'easter, with a Nor'easter on the horizon.

Outside the town is a winter wonderland - literally for a lot of the city if you walk around as a pedestrian, you can expect to be walking in 10-15 centimeters of frozen snow.

I miss the rain from December and January....
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:26 pm

It was a mild winter here till you guys started sending that crap over lake Erie and down to us. Keep your winter up there please !!!!! :P

I now have to break and inch and a half of ice/snow off my car. I could not even get the door open yesterday .. ahhhhhhhh.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Don't know where you live but I get all my weather via Boston and New York :P
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Alright, so there be issues in regards to religion popping up from time to time in Canada, figured why not note them.

In British Columbia, a Christian Law School is trying to get setup. However, the school has a Community Covenant Agreement which students are expected to follow - part of which includes an anti-gay pledge; violating of which can resulting in expulsion or refusal of application.

In Quebec, an imam is looking to setup a Muslim Community Center. However, the imam has outspokenly made radical statements - such as Islam and Democracy not being compatible and that voting is a sin.

My question really in regards to the above is in essence about what really is acceptable. Both leanings from these points of view are highly based in religious sediments and opinions.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:40 am

Tolerate both and accept neither.

I personally find the anti-gay pledge more problematic than the anti-democracy sentiment, but that may be due to the fact that the former is easier to execute in practice.

If publicly funded, cut the funding. There should be no place for religion in the state.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:46 pm

. There should be no place for religion in the state.

Agreed but that is just the farthest thing from the truth in America and it disgusts me.
Seems like half our laws are made on someones religious morals.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:14 am

Luckily I think the Christian University is a private institute and Canada is.... pretty good about keeping religion separate from the state. Unfortunately it isn't very good about keeping politics separate from the state.

Some poor governing lately has occurred in regards to funding of 'specific' non-profit organizations being cut, axing a mandatory long-form census, reducing support for veterans, and some other rather annoying hiccups.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:33 am

I wasn't going to post anything really of note tonight, but there was actually some really interesting shit the occurred in Canada.

In an unanimous decision, the Supreme Court of Canada STRUCK DOWN the law against Assisted Suicide in Canada as Unconstitutional as it deprives people suffering from grievous and irremediable medical conditions from the right to life, liberty, and security of person.

Of course, the court gave a 12 month grace period for which it will still be illegal in the interim and give time to the government to amend rules around assisted suicide; but change be a coming to Canada in the epic contest between the sanctity of life and protecting society’s most vulnerable against the values of individual dignity and free will.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:03 am

Good job, Canada!

evilredqueen wrote:Agreed but that is just the farthest thing from the truth in America and it disgusts me.
Seems like half our laws are made on someones religious morals.

Same in Austria, unfortunately.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:13 am

So, terrorist attacks happen. Of course, this perhaps is a bit different, seeing as how I don't hear much in the mentioning of jihadist's or whatnot - at least not yet.

A Valentine's Day Massacre in Halifax has been thwarted by the combined might of the police forces within my own province of Nova Scotia, the state of Illinois, and the many Federal stations of policing within Canada and the United States.

Will be interesting to see how this situation unfolds.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:15 pm

This is sort of interesting.

Recently a woman in Quebec went to a courtroom but was refused her day in court for wearing religious headgear - a Muslim headscarf known as a hijab.

The reasoning of the Judge behind this is that he wished to keep his courtroom 'secular' and that an Islamic headscarf wasn't appropriate.

Figured that this incident occurred in Quebec too, what with how France acts and the relationship between the province and her former Mother country.

Personally I don't think much of the Judge's stance. Secularism is about separation of Church & State in the sense that Religion shouldn't influence how the State is run. A persons decorum should have little bearing on that philosophy.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:43 am

Posturing. Are judges in Quebec elected or appointed?
Is there a promised land

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Judges are appointed and not elected in Canada.

Choosing judges in Canada

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Ah, down here it depends on the state. I know Quebec likes to do things their own way.

Its obvious he just has a bone to pick with muslims. I say its against the separation of church and state to NOT let her wear the hijab. Unless it somehow, someway, interfered with the ruling of the court.
Is there a promised land

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 am

Davion Fuxa wrote:It was a double post but I don't see a problem with it since I made the second post 36 hours after the first.

Here's another entry into this thread however:

I'm not sure if this story has gone global at all, but an ongoing event here in Halifax is is regards to the Dalhousie 13.

The Dalhousie 13 refers to a group of students who were part of a facebook group 'Class of DDS Gentlemen' - DDS referring to Dalhousie Dental School.

This was a private Facebook group, and within some misogynist posts were made; specifically in reference to classmates of the other gender at the university. Eventually the posts became public, possibly due to to a member of the Facebook sharing the posts with one of the people the misogynist posts referred too.

The event has blown up through media outlets, and there has been much outrage as a result. Additionally, there has been a lot of outrage continuing from the story as a result of what people feel has been a lot of mishandling of the issue by Dalhousie University.

Currently the Dalhousie 13 have been suspended and are unable to attend classes with the other students. It is assumed that any career in Dentistry may also be at jeopardy. 1 of the Dalhousie 13 'may' also be free of guilt due to blowing the whistle on the situation.

So a bit of an update on this original post.

Life is moving along and the DDS Gentleman are now all back in class - though whether they will graduate this year or how the story will unfold next is up in the year.

Something however that is off putting though is that originally, 12 of the 13 were sent back to class - and the one who wasn't happened to be the whistleblower.

That 13th is also getting the same cursory treatment as well by the university, as they attempt to try to further manhandle the situation. By this I mean that unless he 'admits guilt' he won't graduate.

For now, the whistleblower is considering his legal options and what his next move would be in the future.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Snow..... So Much Snow.....

I wouldn't mind the temperatures staying positive and it raining all winter in face of all the snow. This has been a really terrible winter for snow in Halifax; and more is forecast to fall tonight.

On average, Halifax usually gets around 150+ centimeters of snow, or 60~ inches; and that is for the year. Right now in March, we've cleared 180 centimeters or 70 inches.

I realize of course there are far worse places for snow - in Nova Scotia's inland and Cape Breton alone the amounts are far higher. However, it isn't like those places aren't getting less snow either.

Them Snowbanks though outside my house be getting quite higher however.....

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:40 am

I was about to go swimming today, until I remembered I got my eyebrow pierced a week ago and I'm supposed to wait 6 weeks.

Yes I know, I'm a sexy beast. You are more than welcome to touch yourself to my visage, I understand and condone.
Is there a promised land

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Epic Beard. I trim mine to keep it from getting 'that' long, or actually even half that long.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 am

Yah I'm overdue for a grooming, but I'm a bit of a bear and let my hair grow in the winter. Here soon I'll likely shave my head again and cut down on the chin.
Is there a promised land

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Don't cut the beard!!! It's beautiful.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Its not so great in full view, its not trimmed at all, I look like I'm about to commit acts of terrorism.
Is there a promised land

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 pm

Kinda like this?

Castle Crashing the Beard

Return to “General Discussion”