Remember When We Use To Talk About Shit?

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:45 pm

So, life is moving along in Halifax.

Air Canada Flight 624 was recently news; it was a passenger jet that made a 'hard landing', or so Air Canada says. In reality, AC624 crash landed just prior to the the runway at the international airport just outside of Halifax; and then sort of 'ended up' on the runway.

The above said, there wasn't any fatalities from the flight - though it is worth noting that passengers spent 50 minutes on the runway in Blizzard conditions....

Been a few stories in the newspaper - and one of the Political Cartoonists is having a field day regarding the issue.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:49 am

Davion Fuxa wrote:Kinda like this?

Castle Crashing the Beard

Nah, here's a better picture I took yesterday.

Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:32 am

'MURICA

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:15 pm

So, a couple articles of note on the Chronicle Herald newspaper where I live. Links as follows:

Judge wrongs of history in context — and don’t erase names
Cornwallis debate: Big difference between self-defence and genocide

So, question, what is in a name?

History time!

Edward Cornwallis was the first British Governor of Nova Scotia, and established the city of Halifax - Halifax of course being established as a counter to Fortress Louisbourg. Also of note is that one of Cornwallis' first priorities was to establish peace with the Wabanaki Confederacy, which the British didn't really have good relations with.

Unfortunately, the local Mi'kmaw aboriginal leaders in Nova Scotia were none to happy with the British establishing their settlement there - and it also violated and early treated that the British had established. While Cornwallis was able to negotiate with many of the Wabanaki Confederacy, it mostly represented the groups in New Brunswick.

Eventually the Mi'kmaw soon began attacking the British over the establishment of Halifax, and this started what would be Father Le Loutre's War. This led to the local Mi'kmaw making raids on British interests all over Nova Scotia.

Following the Raid on Dartmouth, Cornwallis decided that in order to prevent further massacring of British families, he would follow the examples of the British Massachusetts Governors - issuing bounties on the scalps of aboriginal men, woman, and children.

As time drew on for 18 months, both Mi'kmaw and British communities were beginning to have second thoughts. Cornwallis again made another attempt at establishing peace. He repealed the scalping policy and for more of a year he endeavored to meet aboriginal leaders willing to meet with him about establishing peace.

Ultimately, he eventually gave up in his attempt; after which he resigned his commission and headed home to Britain.

So that's a fairly dumbed down version of the history of Cornwallis and his founding of Halifax. I brought this all up because there are those here in Nova Scotia who wish to see Cornwallis' name stripped from the various roads, lakes, and institutions bearing his name.
Its amazing what the mind can come up with, but it shows talent to make something of it. - Davion Fuxa

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:28 am

tl,dr
Is there a promised land

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 am

K, here is a short form summary

There was a guy named Cornwallis, he existed back in our history. He had a noteworthy mark on history. However, he did some stuff people don't like but was comparable to what others were doing in his time.

He has a statue and his name plastered about on buildings and the like, and some people feel his name shouldn't remain on them due to his actions. Other people however feel that his name should be honored.

Thoughts?

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:13 pm

We have statues of the leaders of the US Civil War on college campuses down here. Some folks need to lighten up and understand that history is more than just people who have done "good things".
Is there a promised land

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:53 am

Cultural relativism states that moral truths change from culture to culture, and this includes time to time. Ones' country's moral values may have been acceptable way back when, but certainly not today, after all the change their culture and the world has been through.

tl:dr slavery used to be okay, now it's not

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Oooooooooo.....

What a Doozy.

Citation: Mouvement laïque québécois vs Saguenay (City), 2015, SCC 16

Long story short -

There was an Atheist in a place called Saguenay in Quebec, who dared challenge the practice of reciting the Lord's Prayer before council meetings. Initially he won his case, but lost it in the Quebec Court of Appeals - before finally he made its way to the Supreme Court of Canada.

End result of the Legal kerfuffle - Saguenay has been ordered to stop reciting the prayer; and to do some other stuff like removing a crucifix and other religious symbols.

I see big changes on the horizon - a lot of the municipalities in Canada are now in a scramble in regards to their own practices, also including Halfiax.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Pro-tip: The word 'atheist' is not capitalized unless at the beginning of a sentence.
Is there a promised land

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:48 am

So, I haven't really posted anything for a couple of months. Stuffs happening.

One of the things that happened, happened south of the border - The Gay Marriage Ruling. Same-Sex Marriage is now a right nationwide in the United States.

It was a close 5 to 4 vote, but the result is that the many states that continued to ban Same-Sex Marriage can no longer do so.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Don'tcha love it

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:31 am

I actually wondering how the Bible Belt States love it.

Davion Fuxa
divine
divine

Postby Davion Fuxa » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:25 am

This really caught my eye, and I felt it was worth noting here.

A Man in Calgary has been charged with mischief, and possibly more crimes pending. His crime -

Flying in the sky via a lawn chair carried by helium filled balloons.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1297418-calgary-man-charged-after-flying-in-chair-attached-to-balloons

So yea, apparently he did this to promote his company. After he got a little too high in the clouds, he also had a parachute on him which he used to get to the ground safely.

Police are a little critical of a couple things such as how the lawn chain might come down; they still don't know where it is.

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:19 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2910318/How-does-country-measure-Map-compares-size-nations-reveals-d-earn-lived-elsewhere.html

This is really interesting. Our 2 countries ( all you yanks out there) are pretty much the same size.
It's amazing how many people you cram into it.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Dude you wouldn't believe how many conversations I have about people having children.

Shame on them for vying for gene survival AGHHH FUCK NO, I'm a fascist!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Wow you guys are still fucking here ... dam. Ape you are still ugly. :P

So I have a 22 year old girlfriend ... kids ... hehe
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:37 am

22? She must be hot.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:51 pm

^^ But of course .. :) You can see her on my FB :P

Loaded up Win 10 .... so far so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEfKooMunLI
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:14 am

Request going downrange!

Return to “General Discussion”