Metal

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 pm

too smart to be able to choose what you pay heed to?
lyrics have no meaning unless you give them that.
Music over Matter

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 pm

Lyrics are still part of the song, and music to me holds a close place to my heart and is the only thing in my live I consider even remotely sacred. So yes, it matters to me greatly.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 pm

the lyrics can greatly enhance the music, or make it worse, but they are not equal to music itself.
they're the seasoning on the dish, if you will, needed to make a great one, can make a mediocre one good, or a good one mediocre, but not the end all say all.

i can admire the paintings done by the local shop run by people with down's syndrome (yes, we have such a shop, aids those same people), likewise, i can listen to music with crappy lyrics and think "geez, what a waste of great music, to be made by such imbiciles".
some lyrics deter me from certain songs, but if the instrumental bit is good enough for me to stomach em, i still listen to songs with crappy lyrics.
Music over Matter

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm

I look at lyrics and music as the same worth, becuase either can make or break a song. If you have crappy music to amazing lyrics, its not worth listening to, as would be vice-versa, in my opinon.

Hell, just throwing that out their, tear it apart if you want.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 am

Azgarth wrote:the lyrics can greatly enhance the music, or make it worse, but they are not equal to music itself.
they're the seasoning on the dish, if you will, needed to make a great one, can make a mediocre one good, or a good one mediocre, but not the end all say all.

And this is where we differ. I think we will have to agree to disagree.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:59 am

Azgarth wrote:the lyrics can greatly enhance the music, or make it worse, but they are not equal to music itself.

This sounds like bullshit to my ears. Lyrical poetry has become some of the best music out there these days. It's all in the lyrics, I think. Unless you're dense.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 am

i'd put vocal style over lyrical content in terms of importance personally, for example i don't even care to know the lyrics to some of the metal bands i like, nor do i care to know what the lyrics mean if they are being sung in a different language. lyrics are definitely important though, if they are being sung in a clearly understandable vocal style then they can make or break a song.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:48 am

This sounds like bullshit to my ears. Lyrical poetry has become some of the best music out there these days. It's all in the lyrics, I think. Unless you're dense.

that's when it gets built around the lyrics, you can have a dish built around certain spices too, and without those spices, the dish becomes tasteless, bland, and not something you'd want to eat.
it differs per dish, much like it differs per genre, hell, even per song.
Music over Matter

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:23 pm

I don't mean to sound mean or childish but that's just plain stupid.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:45 pm

que?
how so?
Music over Matter

daemon
divine
divine

Postby daemon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Apocalyptica plays excellent music, I can listen to it for hours, and not hear a voice. Is this what you meant Az?
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 pm

one of the ways, yeah.

let me give an example of another one,
i happen to like manowar from time to time, first album i came into contact with was louder than hell, in it, particularly with the first couple of songs, with the lyrics i thing, "hmm, too bad, detracts a bit from the music" then proceed to listen to the music itself, and leave the lyrics as sound, but ignore the meaning.

with this, it's the overdone "whoo metalheads are a close group that really take care of each other and the whole rest of the world sucks! booo!" thing, i listen to the music, but ignore what they're singing, because i don't really care about that part of the songs, much like i can really appreciate the drums, or bass, or vocals, or whatever other part, i can also like something despite less than wished performance in that regard, this includes lyrics.
i often prefer good music with good vocals to crappy lyrics, than crappy vocals with good lyrics, in metal and other genres.

i mean, think about it, motley crue can be great fun, but i wouldn't call the lyrics all that brilliant, would you? doesn't mean it's not fun for a song or two.

some tv watchers have the mst3k mantra, this is the same for music, "don't mind the faulty logic or what the fool says, just enjoy the show".
Music over Matter

AzaraGore
undetermined
undetermined

Postby AzaraGore » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 pm

M'hm, I agree it's just some songs where I can't stand the lyrics but I'll listen to the music itself. So it differs between the persons interests and the music they choose to listen to as well as the band/artist/ or song they are listening too.

._. Though tis just meh, and I don't count for a whole.
KILL. DESTORY. MURDER.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 am

Nobody's identical. Explaining how you see it won't make others see it any differently.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 am

no one's trying to. or at least iḿ not.
neither view is more wrong or right than the other, but should that mean we shouldn't speak about em?
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:48 am

You've spoken, esch disagreed. Why go any further?

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

AzaraGore
undetermined
undetermined

Postby AzaraGore » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:46 am

Because he can.

Point blank. :3

KILL. DESTORY. MURDER.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:10 am

'cause i love the typeface of my messages.
but really just because iḿ interested in his reaction.
what's the harm? if we come to understand each other better, bonus, if not, at least we had a fun conv.
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Must have a warped sense of fun conversation over in Holland.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:01 am

I think lyrics and music can be evenly important depending on the song, but generally the music means more to me, including the voice, but not always the words.

Return to “Music”