Marilyn Manson anyone?

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

MindAsylum
deformed
deformed

Marilyn Manson anyone?

Postby MindAsylum » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:04 am

He is by far my favorite artist.

I have never seen any artist go as deeply into the pains of the world as he does, nor one so dedicated to his art. People say he only got where he is because of his image, but that is merely a cop-out for those who can't begin to understand him or his music. Not only does he produce slick music with his amazing band members, but writes the most incredible lyrics I have ever heard.

His videos are absolutely amazing, and actually very easy to understand if one is willing to pay attention and think a little. Shallow, insecure Christains and the cry-baby conservatives alike are always b*tching that he "promotes evil in the minds of children", not realizing that such things are very subjective matters. From what I've experienced, I think Manson's message can be boiled down to mean simply this:

Don't let anyone tell you what to be.

Nearly every single one of his songs carries that theme. He hates conventional religion because he views it as something that damages individuality by making its followers conform to the same set of ethics, and beliefs through fearmongering and false security. He hates the corporate media for perpetuating the cycle of uniform shallowness. So as a part of the media, he tries to undo this damage through his music.

Manson is by no means a sell-out, either, not like Smash Mouth and other types. He dumps hundreds of thousands of dollars into his own concerts and videos, and is paying for his upcoming segment of short films entitled "Phantasmogoria: the visions of Lewis Carol" which he plans to release via his website, completely and 100% free. He stated why in his interview with US weekly:

"I no longer want to make art that people-particularly record companies-are going to turn into a product. I just want to make art."

Name an artist more dedicated than that, and you get a cookie from me
:wink:

What does everyone else think?

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:26 pm

i think i can't be bothered reading all that crap you just typed. but since you went through the trouble of typing it, i'll be nice and not lock this thread...

trent rexnor

now there's irony.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:44 pm

wewt

Syn
divine
divine

Postby Syn » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:58 pm

Of course he promotes individuality, but it's a shame that so many go around wearing his t-shirts, dressing completely goth/all black and the whatnot, screaming they're different from the rest of the society but yet.. they're the same as everyone else who likes to follow in his lead, like sheep.

It's great that one likes a band, especially what they want to stand for, but to go around chanting how awesome they are..as if they're almost god-like and worship everything he does and says, that's bullshit.

sombra_cristalina
divine
divine

Postby sombra_cristalina » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:06 pm

this brings up something my ditzy substitute teacher said:

"we are all trying to be different in the same way"

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:17 pm

in light of that quote heres a few more ditzy ones

"If you don't stand for anything you don't stand for anything"

"I know the human... and the fish... can co-exist peacefully"

"Fool me once......................... sh-shame on you.

Fool me twice................... fool-- we can't get fooled again..."

G.W.B.

sombra_cristalina
divine
divine

Postby sombra_cristalina » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:20 pm

my quote was trying to be meaningful.....even if she thinks the phone is ringing when the school bell rings....and answers it. -_-

MindAsylum
deformed
deformed

Postby MindAsylum » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Syn wrote:Of course he promotes individuality, but it's a shame that so many go around wearing his t-shirts, dressing completely goth/all black and the whatnot, screaming they're different from the rest of the society but yet.. they're the same as everyone else who likes to follow in his lead, like sheep.

It's great that one likes a band, especially what they want to stand for, but to go around chanting how awesome they are..as if they're almost god-like and worship everything he does and says, that's bullshit.

I understand completely what you mean. Funny, though, Manson actually has a song for that called "Mister Superstar". And for the record, just so you know, I don't dress in black very much
As for me, I let my personality show people that I'm different, not the way I dress. And I don't worship him; I just hold him in high regard for his talent. Besides, worshipping him like a God would go against his most basic message and what he stands for, so I wouldn't even be a real fan if I did. I just thought since most people on message boards who make threads about bands just put in "(insert band name here) r teh roxorz!!!!!!1111!!1shift+1!!1!!", I decided to be a little more detailed and sophisticated about my approach.

Granted, I was a little fanboyish when I wrote this thread, because I had just bought the antichrist superstar album, so I was little excited, plus the fact that Manson was in 2 of the tracks in the music selection of this site.

Sorry if I appeared to be overenthusiastic.
The stone walls of an asylum can hold no greater horror than that which is created in the mind.

SPLEE
deformed
deformed

Postby SPLEE » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:27 pm

Your alive alert awake enthusiastic...
Our real site is either underwater or strapped to the roof of a stolen vehicle that is also underwater. For now we recommend you do something productive or consider helping out the thousands of people now living under the sea by donating some time or money or dry land.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:02 pm

There's only one person I've ever actually revered divinely. Cookie for who guesses right.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:10 am

MindAsylum
deformed
deformed

Postby MindAsylum » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:57 am

Guitar_Clock wrote:Image

Fonzy was basically the only cool character in that show. Hell, he MADE that show.
The stone walls of an asylum can hold no greater horror than that which is created in the mind.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:40 am

Till he jumped the shark

Thus the saying "THEY JUMPED THE SHARK..."

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:24 am

Nope. Close though.
Is there a promised land

MindAsylum
deformed
deformed

Postby MindAsylum » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:01 am

Darklire wrote:Nope. Close though.

Joe Pesci?

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:14 am

i hate Marilyn Manson. i hope he chokes on his spit.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:28 am

Really close with Joe Pesci.
Is there a promised land

MindAsylum
deformed
deformed

Postby MindAsylum » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:32 am

Darklire wrote:Really close with Joe Pesci.

ok getting warmer.......christopher walken?

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:44 am

I think the singer of Marilyn Manson kinda falls into the catagory of being emo. But some of their songs are okay if you ignore him. I like the old bass player Twiggy Ramirez, but the rest of them are kinda tryhard. To quote something I heard somewhere once:
"they think they are black sheep, when really they are just sheep in black"

By the way that quote was directed at the band and the OTT emo tryhards who obsessedly listen to them. Not that everyone who listens to Marilyn Manson is ans OTT emo tryhard or anything, But yeah thats just my personal opinion.

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 am

Marilyn Manson emo? Nigga please :|

Viléém
divine
divine

Postby Viléém » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:25 am

more like shock-rock

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:52 am

*sighs* When I said emo I meant as a person for his winge-factor. Looking at his career I would have to call them glam rock.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:14 pm

Astica wrote:"they think they are black sheep, when really they are just sheep in black"

i like this quote :)

Brandon
Teh Zombie

Postby Brandon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:10 pm

Astica wrote:I think the singer of Marilyn Manson kinda falls into the catagory of being emo. But some of their songs are okay if you ignore him. I like the old bass player Twiggy Ramirez, but the rest of them are kinda tryhard. To quote something I heard somewhere once:
"they think they are black sheep, when really they are just sheep in black"

By the way that quote was directed at the band and the OTT emo tryhards who obsessedly listen to them. Not that everyone who listens to Marilyn Manson is ans OTT emo tryhard or anything, But yeah thats just my personal opinion.

whu whu whu whu what?!?!!???!

manson...emo....just listen to yourself say that...
then go slap yourself...

Vaarsuvius
latency
latency

Postby Vaarsuvius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:38 pm

I like Marilyn Manson - I went to see him play in Dublin last summer. The sound was awesome, the stage show ... um ... too elaborate for my tastes, but still cool. Plus, daylight and Marilyn Manson's stage show do not mix.

(Also, I firmly believe that Marilyn Manson is just this generation's David Bowie - good concepts, shocking for the parents but alluring to the kids and with an unnaturally devoted following.)

Return to “Music”