Black Metal

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

HeckBilly
elmo molester

Black Metal

Postby HeckBilly » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:04 am

If we're gonna have a Death Metal thread, I'm thinking we could talk about black metal again. Please post something more than just a few bands you like. Tell something about them, or atleast link up to a MySpace. Here's one for example:

Gorgoroth

Mostly known for their frontman, Gaahl.

Gaahl joined Gorgoroth in 1998, and was first heard on their Nuclear Blast album Destroyer; however, he only sung on the title track.

Gaahl was sentenced to one year in prison for assault in 2001, and was forced to pay the victim 158,000 NOK (26,963 US$). In 2006, Gaahl spent another 9 months (of a 14 month sentence) in prison for brutally assaulting a man and allegedly threatening to drink his blood in 2002. The victim received a total of 190,000 NOK (32,424 US$).[5] Gaahl was released in December 2006.

I suggest checking out 'Incipit Satan' if you want to hear more of them. You can also check out the documentary "True Norwegian Black Metal" on YouTube for a longer interview with Gaahl. (There's 5 parts)

Short interview explaining the ideology behind Gorgoroth(turn up your speakers):

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQJqZFUell8[/youtube]

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 pm

gorgoroth is awesome, i'd say they're one of the few original norwegian BM bands that are still relevant to the scene.

burzum; the essential BM (one-man) band in my opinion, very controversial for reasons anybody even vaguely interested in black metal already knows about. if not, i'll link you to varg's wikipedia page.

recommended album: "filosofem"

1349; named after the year the black death plague spread to norway, is a modern, very technical band from (surprise surprise) norway. notable for the well-known drummer frost (satyricon, gorgoroth).

recommended album: "liberation"

anaal nathrakh, a british band formed in 1999, described as "necro metal", mix grindcore and industrial influences into a core black metal style. they differ from most BM bands due to having great production on their albums, and as a result have an extremely heavy sound.

recommended album: "the codex necro"

i'll post more later, i still need to post a little about the french scene.

HeckBilly
elmo molester

Postby HeckBilly » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Unfortunately, most people feel like they can't like Burzum because they like Mayhem, or are misinformed about the events around the murder. Or they just lack taste. As far as I'm concerned though, Burzum is the better band of the two.

Have you heard 'Dauði Baldrs'? It was recorded on synth(only instrument allowed in prison) in 1997, and is quite different from the rest of his stuff.

Also, taking this post to mention Flesh. A Swedish Black/Death metal band. Haven't heard much, but what's on their MySpace is pretty good. I'd like to hear something in not-shit myspace quality first, though.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:24 am

i haven't heard "dauði baldrs" because it got a ton of bad reviews, but i really enjoyed the follow-up, "hliðskjálf". i'm a big fan of dark ambient as it's own genre (as opposed to a subgenre of black metal), so that album was right up my alley.

HeckBilly
elmo molester

Postby HeckBilly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:45 pm

I rarely read reviews before listening to an album, but I don't mind to read them afterwards. I agree 'hliðskjálf' was better, mostly because it sounded more 'real'. 'Dauði baldrs' reminded me of the soundtrack from an early 90s fantasy computer game, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Even if it was not the best of the two, I'd still give it a listen.

But for first-time listeners of Burzum, I'd say 'Det Som Engang Var' or 'Filosofem' are good places to start.

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Most of the black metal I've heard is to extreme for me, but I like certain songs of certain bands. I find black metal to unmelodic for my taste, and the closest I get is an album of a band called Acid Bath.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:47 am

HellBilly wrote:I rarely read reviews before listening to an album, but I don't mind to read them afterwards. I agree 'hliðskjálf' was better, mostly because it sounded more 'real'. 'Dauði baldrs' reminded me of the soundtrack from an early 90s fantasy computer game, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Even if it was not the best of the two, I'd still give it a listen.

But for first-time listeners of Burzum, I'd say 'Det Som Engang Var' or 'Filosofem' are good places to start.

well, when i first want to get into a band i read reviews to find out what is generally considered the "best" albums, and if i like them then i will download more. but most of the time i don't bother downloading an entire discography of somebody, because the albums i have are usually enough to keep me satisfied. i agree with your recommendations for first time listeners.

acid bath kicks major amounts of ass, but if that's the closest thing you like to BM, then you really shouldn't be posting in this topic in the first place. :P

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 am

Don't mind the picture, carry on.

Frank Sino.
distorted
distorted

Postby Frank Sino. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:39 am

isnt black metal the style that MSI uses?

HeckBilly
elmo molester

Postby HeckBilly » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:28 am

Mr.Eisenfaust wrote:isnt black metal the style that MSI uses?

If you've clicked any of the links in this thread, you'd already know what it sounds like.

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 pm

:twisted: who likes Cradle of Filth, Tvangeste, or Dimmu Borgir?
My favorite is of course Cradle of Filth though.
Yay! My signature sucks!

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 pm

Cradle of Filth is not black metal, afaik.

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:11 pm

they switch a lot... my favorite band though. I kinda consider them as black metal though like Tvangeste and Dimmu Borgir... They sound similar to Cradle of Filth andare both Black Metal...Satanic and symphonic.
Yay! My signature sucks!

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:05 am

COF is what i'd like to call black metal-lite. it's like casual black metal.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri May 02, 2008 11:14 am

Death Death Metal is cooler. They talk about death even more.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

613-018
undetermined
undetermined

Postby 613-018 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Eschatos wrote:Death Death Metal is cooler. They talk about death even more.

*headdesk*

I like this topic but don't really have anything to contribute yet. So kudos.
And if you wait on me, I'll be free some day.

ClownieMcHapHap
latency
latency

Postby ClownieMcHapHap » Sat May 31, 2008 5:41 pm

Dimmu Borgir is awesome, but Old Man's Child is better imo.

The Undivined
latency
latency

Postby The Undivined » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:47 pm

I like Death Metal.
It's easy to understand the words without looking up the lyrics. I listen to it daily, but I don't bend my mind on it...
It tells of death and hate, and disortation to the mind.

Frank Sino.
distorted
distorted

Postby Frank Sino. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 pm

I think the only metal i listen to that can be considered black metal is Akercocke.

Wikipedia Article wrote:The band was formed in 1997 by Jason Mendonca and David Gray. The two had been friends in the past, and played in Salem Orchid until 1992, when that band split up. They soon added second guitarist Paul Scanlan and bassist Peter Theobalds. They self-released their first album, Rape of the Bastard Nazarene, in 1999; after this release met with some success, they were signed to the underground Peaceville Records. Their debut release for the new company was 2001's The Goat of Mendes, previously released on the band's own Goat of Mendes label. 2003 saw the release of Choronzon, on Earache Records.

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:42 pm

I have a belief that the world needs more black metal. If as many people listened to metal as much as they do Fergie, Justin Timberlake and all of that other shit that fucked people up from day one, then my perfect world would be completed.
Yay! My signature sucks!

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Musical taste has nothing to do with how people act.

Well. Maybe Hip-Hop does.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:25 am

I think there's a certain mentality behind Emotive too.
[/somebullshit]

Return to “Music”