New Nine Inch Nails material, again :D

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

New Nine Inch Nails material, again :D

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Trent & Co released a new track two days ago. The sound is very With Teeth-ish, and the lyrics are Year Zero imo.

http://dl.nin.com/discipline/nin

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Since nobody bothered to answer I have to bump this thread and announce that NIN has released a new album

http://theslip.nin.com/

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed May 07, 2008 7:54 pm

downloading now.. i'm interested to hear "the four of us are dying" as the title seems to be referencing an old twilight zone episode.

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Wed May 07, 2008 8:48 pm

I've listened to it twice now. The album was no more than OK to me. It seems like Trent has been thinking quantity rather than quality lately.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 pm

yeah.. that thought also crossed my mind, although "ghosts" was absolutely amazing. i can't say i like this one that much, it seems to be following more the with teeth/year zero train of thought, although it does pick up towards the end. ("corona radiata" and "the four of us are dying" namely)

nothing bad, but nothing amazing either.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Wed May 07, 2008 9:49 pm

the great destroyer wrote:I've listened to it twice now. The album was no more than OK to me. It seems like Trent has been thinking quantity rather than quality lately.

Either that, or he's just on the making-whatever-comes-to-their-mind-for-fun trip. Nonetheless nothing to be ashamed of. After all, he doesn't expect money for it.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Thu May 08, 2008 4:50 am

HeRetiK wrote:making-whatever-comes-to-their-mind-for-fun

pretty sure it's this. while i'm sure it's not trent's intention to have more "quantity over quality", he's free from a record label to do whatever the hell he wants, and because he's not charging that gives him even more freedom to try things he might not try otherwise. i think he's just hit a creative peek. it's funny to think that this was the same guy who used to take years to release a new album. (though that was to do with the drugs more than anything, i read in an interview)

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Thu May 08, 2008 1:53 pm

I've read that too, Wayne. Another possible reason is that producers restrict artists from doing what they really want so that only a selection of the songs made reach out to the public. It's not nesescarrily a bad thing since good producers often know what's good and what's not, but it's pity that there's so much unlistened material that we'll never hear. And that applies for all artists, and not only NIN.
HeRetiK wrote:Either that, or he's just on the making-whatever-comes-to-their-mind-for-fun trip. Nonetheless nothing to be ashamed of. After all, he doesn't expect money for it.

They made millions on Ghosts, and they'll probably make alot of money when The Slip is released physically. This model is only profitable or established artists like NIN and Radiohead, so it's not as un-commercial as it seems. Then again, what Trent does now is certainly groundbreaking. Radiohead was the first to do it, but Reznor complained about the industry long before they released In Rainbows. Even though both Radiohead and NIN profited a lot by releasing music this way, they set a good example for future artists and hopefully they'll become the founders of a completely new way of distributing music commercially.

JamesOrvell
damaged
damaged

Postby JamesOrvell » Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 am

[REDACTED]
Last edited by JamesOrvell on Thu May 05, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon May 26, 2008 7:05 am

um.. trent doesn't really make "weird noises". i might see where you were coming from if we were talking about, like, nurse with wound. but no, nin is actually pretty conventional when it comes down to it, especially the latest stuff.

sombra_cristalina
divine
divine

Postby sombra_cristalina » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:15 am

I just went back on the website again today, and I was able to get a whole album for free. This time it's just not instrumentals, and I like it.

EDIT: I think it may have been the one that TGD already mentioned.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:43 am

i preferred the instrumentals.

Return to “Music”