Live Music

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Live Music

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Went to my first music fest this past weekend. I know, I know, 20 years old and this is my first one? For SHAME. But tours seem to have a problem with coming during the weekends when I'm not working, so I finally caught one.

BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

The point of this thread (and I'm sure there's already one like this, but I went back 3 pages and didn't see one, so blow me) is to talk about bands that are great to see live.

Machine Head
Came out and played "Clenching the Fists" "Wolves" "Halo" "A Farewell to Arms" and "Davidian". My god, for those who already know Machine Head then you would probably know what to expect. They sound better live then on disc. Amazing fucking band.

Five Finger Death Punch
Already made a thread about them, and all the songs they played were pretty badass.

Airbourne
For an Australian band that sounds like ACDC, I didn't expect much from this band. But their guitar work is pretty good and they have a great energy to them. So I'll have to wait for their next CD to see if they are just a gimmick.

Disturbed
One of my best friends was with me and he put it in better words than I could. "It was like a religious experience". Disturbed was the first non-pop band I ever got into and have held a close place to my heart since I was first getting into music. I went to the tour mainly to see them, and I was not disappointed. It's hard to put in words the awesome that they were.

Slipknot
I don't care much for their music (there are only maybe a handful of their songs that I like) as it just seems like they pander to angst-ridden 15 year olds. But they do put on one hell of a live show.

BANDS THAT SUCKED LIVE:
Every single band on the MySpace stage. I had a little hope for Underoath because I've heard good things. But they all sounded the exact same to me. The Red Chord was.....meh.

Dragonforce
And I know I'm not the first person to say this. Every song sounds the same, the drummer couldn't keep tempo with the guitarist, and nobody but the singer moved an inch.

Well, that's not true, the asian dude did that silly kick hop thingy.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

GunGrave
latency
latency

Postby GunGrave » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 am

Rammstein shows are an insane pyro fest... (the good kind)

And my brother told me of a Japanese band who played their whole concert while hanging upside-down. I'll try to find the name.
"Faith in humanity has gone for broke, more news at eleven."

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:25 am

clutch.

skinny puppy.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am

Small metal gigs are good, like 8 Foot Sativa and Sinate. Both bands have so much energy and there is a great atmosphere every time Ive seen them both (8 ft three times, Sinate twice)

Tool were amazing, really relaxed but intense at the same time.

Marilyn Manson were a LOT better than I expected. Great atmosphere, really fun songs, great gig. Really, really great.

Muse have a fantastic energy onstage. The first time I saw them was fantastic, the second time I think they could have arranged their set better, they didnt balance their heavier and lighter songs out very well. Its one of those bands you need to be near the front for, the hyped atmosphere doesnt reach back all the way. They have some great songs that just need to be played live too, so thats always good.

Shihad were fucking amazing. REALLY strong live band. I was center barrier the whole gig and directly in front of Jonny Toogood as he leapt around all skinny and shirtless with more sweat dripping off him than you could possibly imagine. There were some real assholes in the pit but the band were fantastic. It was one of those bands where you have meaning-of-life epiphanies during the set cause its all insperational and stuff.

Queens of the Stone Age were one of the best live bands ever. I was slightly to the right side of the stage, at the barrier, in front of the bassist. They also had a great atmosphere to their set, and the people in the crowd were great too. Some guy threw a shoe at Josh Homme and he made a rather impressive speech about it. QotSA play really damn good live.

The Smashing Pumpkins played the same gig as QotSA, so seemed a bit dull in moments by comparison. There were some great moments to the gig, but overall it felt like they were building up to something that never happened.

Trivium. Got talked into going to their set at a festival, although Im not really a Trivium type of person. They defied all expectations and were at least 10 times shitter than I expected. A tryhard nu-metal crowd stood there while the band actually had to stop and start again on a song because they couldnt get it together with each other or anything. I actually laughed through most of the set. Trivium really do suck.

Those are the bands that have stood out to me the most, that youve most likely heard of. I might post more later, so save this post reaching tl:dr status.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:35 am

Is Trivium the band with the Cellos?
Is there a promised land

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:47 am

Nah, thats Apocalyptica I think. I dont know them too well.
Trivium is one of those shit nu-metal bands that all sound and look the same so I cant give you any defining characteristics of them.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:04 am

Oh yeah, I remember now.

I think I once watched a YouTube video making fun of Trivium.

HAH! Found it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs[/youtube]
Is there a promised land

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:58 am

Astica wrote:Trivium. Got talked into going to their set at a festival, although Im not really a Trivium type of person. They defied all expectations and were at least 10 times shitter than I expected. A tryhard nu-metal crowd stood there while the band actually had to stop and start again on a song because they couldnt get it together with each other or anything. I actually laughed through most of the set. Trivium really do suck.

that is too fucking funny.

@ darky; paranoidave FTW. i posted his latest vid in the video thread, check it out.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:32 am

@Eschatos: yeah, I saw that video before I went, it was all I could think about when they played that song. It was their great finale too. It was hilarious.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 pm

he's selling tshirts now too. i think i'm probably going to get the "i am here to ride bike" one, although i love the design of the "your mum's a vicar" shirt.

link to what the fuck i'm talking about.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:34 am

Trivium's albums used to be OK until the Crusade. They just turned into another Metallica clone.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Return to “Music”