Favorite Pink Floyd Album

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Is..

The Dark Side of the Moon
1
13%
The Wall
2
25%
Wish you Were Here
2
25%
Animals
2
25%
Atom Heart Mother
0
No votes
Meddle
1
13%
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
obskewer
divine
divine
Posts: 2554
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:25 am
Location: Nowhere visible

Favorite Pink Floyd Album

Postby obskewer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:15 pm

I'd have to say Animals is a pretty tight original recording. Pigs and Dogs are truly amazing pieces of audio tapestry.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine
Posts: 9942
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:17 pm
Location: on the corner of nothin' and nowhere

Postby dickwad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:52 pm

i swear we already had a thread like this.. but to answer the question, "wish you were here" is my favourite.

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 am

Wish You Were Here and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason are both good, but the latter occasionally makes forays into an 80s sound that I don't like; I'm willing to forgive these, mainly because of how good the tracks Yet Another Movie and Sorrow are. My least favorite two tracks from these albums are Wish You Were Here and One Slip.

The Wall is good for fun listening. None of the songs are a disappointment, and Run Like Hell is probably in my favorite six or eight Pink Floyd songs, but overall the album doesn't beat A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

The Dark Side Of The Moon was a huge disappointment for me. Although most of the songs were well composed, none of them held my attention.

Meddle is only fairly good, but it does contain my favorite Pink Floyd song of all, Echoes, which raises its status significantly in my mind, owing a lot to the fact that the track takes up a good half of its total running time.

Animals is probably my favorite, because of Dogs and Pigs (Three Different Ones). If I had to rate the albums, I'd put A Momentary Lapse Of Reason second, Meddle third, and Wish You Were Here fourth.

I don't have Atom Heart Mother.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.


____

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:42 am

You forgot the entire Syd Barrett era!!!

Wish You Were Here is my favourite album and song of all time, from my favourite band of all time.

Lionboy wrote: My least favorite two tracks from these albums are Wish You Were Here and One Slip.

Pffft. Leave it to you to dislike the two best songs out of those albums.

Lionboy wrote:The Dark Side Of The Moon was a huge disappointment for me. Although most of the songs were well composed, none of them held my attention.

I dare you to give it a second chance with a big pair of headphones.

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 am

GC wrote:
Lionboy wrote: My least favorite two tracks from these albums are Wish You Were Here and One Slip.


Pffft. Leave it to you to dislike the two best songs out of those albums.


One Slip has a really 80s-sounding background instrument that annoys the hell out of me; it's almost like a xylophone. Learning To Fly also had a bit of a problem with an 80s-like sound. Both of the ones you mentioned, as well as On The Turning Away, just focus way too much on vocals/lyrics and not nearly enough on the most important part of any song, the guitar. Furthermore, there were a lot of country/western-sounding noises and instruments in Wish You Were Here, and that, of course, is nothing short of cacophony to me.

Also, when I listen to Pink Floyd, I want to hear either about A) the human condition or folly, B) psychological malaise, or C) drug-induced hazes. The only sentimental song that I ever enjoyed by Pink Floyd was Pigs On The Wing I.

@you - So you really think One Slip was better than Signs Of Life, The Dogs Of War, Yet Another Movie (Round And Around), and Sorrow? And how can you say that Wish You Were Here was a better song than SOYCD I, Welcome To The Machine, and Have A Cigar?

Lionboy wrote:The Dark Side Of The Moon was a huge disappointment for me. Although most of the songs were well composed, none of them held my attention.


I dare you to give it a second chance with a big pair of headphones.


You say that as if I have only listened to the album once. Or as if the medium of sound delivery is going to change the fact that none of the songs were very attention-grabbing. Or as if it would even prove anything to me, beyond confirming my conciliatory cession that the songs were well composed.

EDIT:

Okay, so I decided to listen to it again. I'll give you that tracks 1 through 5 are pretty nice. The guitar solo in Time was quite enjoyable.

But it started sucking real bad at Us And Them. Really, it started sucking about fifteen or thirty seconds before the end of Money. The lyrics for Brain Damage and Eclipse were great, but the music just totally blew.

You know what really annoyed me? That guy talking in the background in that thick British accent who comes in at about 5:56 of Money. I especially hate it when he comes back at 4:56 of Us And Them. I think I heard him somewhere else on the album too, talking this annoying bullshit about "Why should I be afraid of dying? No good reason," or something like that.

God, Us And Them is just such a horrible song. It sounds like something the band would play in a jazz restaurant full of rich white men in turtlenecks. Any Color You Like is almost as bad, except when it starts getting into the guitar parts in the middle and at the end.

Frankly, I always disliked Pink Floyd songs that had a saxophone in them. Any use of the saxophone in any Pink Floyd song could be replaced with a harmonica, and sound a lot better.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:36 am

You might understand Pink Floyd's music better if you understood the story of Syd Barrett, their first frontman. He's the basis for so many albums past, oh, 1971 - their "Space Rock" era.

I dunno. Just seeing their VH1 behind the music gave me an entirely different perspective on the band and the meanings of their songs. I sort of see what you mean on some explanations you gave, but the more you listen to them, the more they grow on you. I even loved "The Final Cut" album, which is pretty much Roger Waters and the Pink Floyd band v_v.

And in all fairness, Momentary Lapse of Reason was made in the late 80s >_>

User avatar
Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass
Posts: 8862
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:57 am
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:44 am

Image
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:36 pm

GC wrote:And in all fairness, Momentary Lapse of Reason was made in the late 80s >_>


I know. I have a great distaste for that style. When it comes to music, the eighties and the nineties for the most part sucked, to me.

It's also the reason why I have a hard time enjoying the Queen album The Game. I've decided that I only really like Queen up to about 1977, after which point, only some of their songs were good, whereas before which point, most of their songs were good.

Queen Studio Albums

Of their studio albums, I have only Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, and The Game. Before the year is done, I shall also have Queen, Queen II, A Day At The Races, and News Of The World. I may eventually get The Works, The Miracle, and Innuendo, out of a hope that the early 80s sound of The Game eventually bled out of their music. :|

I also have one live album (Queen On Fire), two compilation albums (The Greatest Hits and Classic Queen), and one postumous album (Preordained, composed from unreleased 1969-1973 material).
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

User avatar
geroge
divine
divine
Posts: 1361
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 am
Contact:

Postby geroge » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:56 am

Dark Side of the Moon simply becasue I only have Dark Side of the Moon, and I was 11 last time I heard the Wall and had no real respect for anything.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests