Music and memories...

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Music and memories...

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:02 am

Just something that crossed my mind after watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind". I feel that certain past events are in my memory very intensely linked to specific music tracks.

There are tracks that lead me way past, to memories deeply hidden in the dustiest corners in my mind. And there I remember every single last detail... a perfectly captured moment. I don't even have to close my eyes to see the clear, blue winter sky. The cold, fresh air in my lungs. Warm sun on my skin. A feeling of happiness in my chest.

The downside of it is, that during hard times, I lose a lot of songs. Because the memories want to remain hidden. And it takes very long to gain them back. Sometimes, sometimes you never get them back.

But sometimes... sometimes it's just beautiful to listen to a track and live through the moment again. It's like a box of memories, but inside your head. And whenever you want it, you can live through it again, if only for a moment.

I think that with the right playlist I could probably mentally reconstruct most of my life. It would be a rollercoaster ride of emotional instability.

Matter of fact, I'm listening to some of these tracks right now and I'm getting rather off balance. But it feels incredibly good. Might be because lately I didn't took myself much time to think about things. There's been going a lot lately. Many new acquaintances and interesting conversations. New ideas. New perspectives. New possibilities. Change. But I'm afraid I didn't fully worked it all up yet. Overstimulation and my mind getting fried by a shitload of interesting events.

I think I just derailed my own line of thought.

Anyways. There was a time were looked back in regret a lot. Regret led to hiding memories in the corners of my mind. And now I look back at the last few years of my life... and notice that there have been a lot of beautiful moments and memories that I... misplaced. Out of fear of getting hurt. And that's sad. Having lost so many great events out of sheer blindness.

So always cherish your memories.

Lengthy post. I guess it was this time of the year again. You know, where I dump some emotional baggage and random thoughts into this forum.

Brandon
Teh Zombie

Postby Brandon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 am

I feel the same way.

There are countless songs I can listen to that remind me of good, or bad memories in my life. Mostly during my high school years. It's nice to relive those moments with music, and never forget them.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 am

I listen to Twisted Transistor by Korn and think of playing Puzzle Pirates. Yes, I played that.

It was fun. It took over my brain. I honestly dreamed about it back then.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Stalkerlicious
divine
divine

Postby Stalkerlicious » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 am

That sounds so beautiful. I can't help but feel a little jealous of that ability.
Frosty wrote:COWER BEFORE MY AWESOME CYNICISM AND INCESSANT HYPERANALYSIS!

Bean Bag Nuts wrote:that's not hallucinations
that's spider powers

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 am

I know what you mean Hery. . .I can hear anything off of the best of Pink Floyd, and I get taken back to a night with one of my best friends. The two of us just laid there, relaxing, letting the music set the mood and conversation. Some Hootie and the Blowfish is always gunna bring me back to the day that my boyfriend and I said our first awkward 'I love you's."

Another good one for me is "In This Diary" by the Ataris, cause I did alot of the stuff they talk about in this song.

Very nice way of putting this. . .I doubt I could have worded it this well. But I've always felt this way about music. It's my favorite thing in the world, for this one reason.

And like you said, there's bad songs and memories, too. But sometimes it's good to remember the bad times. I feel like the music that I associate with the bad times helps me put it begind me, helps me move on, yanno?
I've got one hand in my pocket

daemon
divine
divine

Postby daemon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:36 pm

I have memories, usually of friends or girls with songs. But sometimes I also remember fights.. good ole fight musik.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:37 pm

every time i listen to incubus i always get taken back to my school days (early teens), smoking weed and just chilling out at my friend's old house, with my two best friends. feeling the warmth of the heater and the high of a good shottie. ahh.. nostalgia.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 pm

music colours my whole existance, back when i was 6 or 7 or so i always had headphones and a walkman with me, they're what got me through, and whenever i listen to michael jackson (yeah.. i listened to him, and i even think he was nice 'till bad), and eric clapton, i feel exactly like i felt back then.

couple of years back, i went by train to school for about two years,
everytime i went back home i took fresh orange juice, ham, and a breadthing to put it on, and make/eat my meal on the train, always listening to guns and roses.
if i listen to it now, i can TASTE the orangejuice/ham combination.
it's mostly a feeling you get though, and a way of viewing the world, when i listen to certain music, i get back to how i saw the world back then, what i felt.

like with hery, it can fuck up as well, i love pantera, but my time with a girl named renee made all of the stuff a personal fight about the bad stuff from then, still drains me.
it's bittersweet though, whenever i listen to leonard cohen, the good we had playing kingdom hearts together in the hamock (which took quite a while, not much playing), or twilight princess from my bed (see previous) seeps back.

sometimes it's a song, sometimes an album or an artist, it's been tough to disassociate the tom waits album small change with the otherland books and bad cider.

i can hardly remember yesterday, and don't remember anything before that as anything other than facts that i may or may not have recorded properly, the only way i can get a feeling from memories is music.

there's songs that re-set me, too.
whenever i'm tired with everything and feel as if i don't have any more energy to spend, i listen to either the first slash's snakepit album, or raw blues power by paul gilbert and jimi kidd.
it puts me back to "fuck iunno where i'm gonna get the energy or if it's feasable, but i'm gonna try or break from the experience.
Music over Matter

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:07 pm

You know, I've got agree, this is a mixed blessing/curse. I sometimes listen to a song and remember a moment. Lately, I've got quite a few songa associated with good memories, but the farther back ones aren't so nice...it makes it very hard to listen to songs...
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:28 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It's funny how musical taste changes over time, yet those song that you liked years ago stick around with you, even though they don't fit your current taste anymore. Well, at least if the songs have some sort of background story for you.

Return to “Music”