Music you don't tell people you like.

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Music you don't tell people you like.

Postby Spaced Ape » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 am

Those bands (or artists) you won't admit to love, but they're just perfect for those moments when you need 'em. List 'em and explain your love/hate relationship. Of course I'll start!

Insane Clown Posse

I can't think of any respectable person I know of who enjoys this band. While I was younger I certainly fell upon the Juggalo craze, I disembarked from that soon enough. But that doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it. But its hard to stick up for a band who calls a magnet a miracle and says "fuck scientists", but I'm not in it for the intellectual stimulation. The reason why ICP's earlier music far outshine their more recent audio abortions are because until they started making decent change they pretty much didn't give a shit and were in it for the fun of it. They are the GWAR of rap, and they knew they were a joke from the start (hence the face paint and clown moniker). To this day I will still get a wild hair up my ass and put on some ol' school ICP. There isn't much out there like listening to two clowns rapping about murdering people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sllbR1Eya9g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg186kLAG0g[/youtube]

Coal Chamber/DevilDriver

Coal Chamber were the nu-metal also-ran's when KoRn were still a big deal. Tell a "true metal head" (or whatever those people who take genre's too seriously would call themselves) that you like Coal Chamber and they go on and on about how goth wanna-be's like Coal Chamber. But there's still some (in my opinion) decent head-bangin' that was goin' on in that band. I can't say I'm a die-hard fan, or was at any point, but I'll still play it (and its always going to be in whatever MP3 player I may own.) The lead singer Dez is now in another band of his creation I love called DevilDriver, and still deals with the stigma of having been in Coal Chamber from people who say he's done nothing but jump on the metal bandwagon now that the genre has grown. But fuck those people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_49RHFF1YAE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWKppF-ZcBI[/youtube]

Fear Factory

Fear Factory is probably my favorite band and has been for a long time. But I don't like to mention it to people because I know they're live show sucks more anus than Belladonna and to some people its sounds too formulaic. I've had people laugh in my face after telling them they're my favorite band. But there's something about they're music hits ever button I have when it comes to music. They can be fast, loud, and deafening one moment, and then be soft and melodic the next. And they fuse it like water and concrete. They have been going at it since 1989, with only recent a large shake-up in the band structure, and for the better in my opinion. There's nothing about it I don't like, which as a cynic is hard to get out of me. And I just heard they're making another concept album, which makes my knees weak and my dick erect with anticipation. I could probably go on and on, but I'm just gonna post songs I like and then let ya'll take this thread if you care to.

(This song is so awesome it was used as Reptile's theme in the Mortal Kombat movie.)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRci3qWeFCA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-wASWC4OcI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHoEnEQuOs[/youtube]

Edit: Oh, and Hery also used a FF song in one of his vid's, albeit one he made for school if I recall correctly:
http://www.mindistortion.tv/movies/batman
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Chara
damaged
damaged

Postby Chara » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:04 am

Ahhh. :D Devildriver and Fear factory are two bands I listen to on a regular basis! Though music I don't tell people I like... I'll just list a couple o' tracks then.

Cowboy Bebop. And in case people are all like 'ANIME SUCKS ASS,' I'll put up the live version so you can see the music being performed, man. Though of course, I'll have a day of listening to the tracks, then leave it the hell alone for a bit. When I'm in a nostalgic mood I'll listen to the majority of the soundtrack, and there was a lot, but given that I watched the series fookin' years ago, that's all I'll do.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-TAxm00jOg[/youtube]

And Velvet Acid Christ. I'm not a massive fan of EBM, but there are a few bands I like, and this track in particular is for the moments of quiet reflection. It's just pleasant to sit back and listen to. However, I've still not listened to a lot of VAC. Every once and a while I'll just literally want to listen to this sort of track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCnPCuf0KM[/youtube]

... Hurm. I'll track down a few later.. need coffee. Brain not working.
An experiment with existence is showing up anomalies
You see the day dissolve into the morrow
And the slow growing of your second skin
Adrenaline begins in the marrow and then intoxicates your oxygen

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Anime doesn't suck. Its Japan-o-philes who treat it like the highest form of media that suck.
Is there a promised land

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Coal Chamber FTW. They take nu-metal, and actually address somewhat complex topics with more poetic lyrics than I hear from a lot of bands.

Smile Empty Soul
Hellaciously scene-emo in a lot of songs, and it bugs me that they make money off of the bandwagon. Nonetheless, they are actually fairly creative in some of the topics they sing about (Jesus is the Manager at Wal-mart), and the singer's voice is just plain catchy to me. Haven't really figured out why.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQo59ihezCw[/youtube]

Nonpoint
I don't see anything wrong with them, but introducing them to other people usually ends with very negative comments about their sporadic guitar-and-vocal sounds. Personally, I think their vocalist is very skilled and has the ability to write very strong lyrics, and the guitarist has a fair variety in his playing across the multiple albums.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeXdOgA3mI[/youtube]
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 pm

:oops:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhGybu1T8o[/youtube]

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4iYTrJbwk&ob=av3n[/youtube]

:oops:
Is there a promised land

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:28 am

Fall Out Boy because of Patrick Stump's soulful voice.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Adelaide
latency
latency

About music

Postby Adelaide » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:27 am

I know that there are a lot of these questions. But I want my own set of answers to this question.
And you don't really have to tell me music that's mainstream.
Because I know a lot of that stuff.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: About music

Postby HeRetiK » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 am

Adelaide wrote:I know that there are a lot of these questions. But I want my own set of answers to this question.

The words make sense but your sentences confuse me...

Stalkerlicious
divine
divine

Re: About music

Postby Stalkerlicious » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 pm

HeRetiK wrote:
Adelaide wrote:I know that there are a lot of these questions. But I want my own set of answers to this question.

The words make sense but your sentences confuse me...

I know those words, but that doesn't make sense. :D
Frosty wrote:COWER BEFORE MY AWESOME CYNICISM AND INCESSANT HYPERANALYSIS!

Bean Bag Nuts wrote:that's not hallucinations
that's spider powers

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 am

You know you've watched the Simpsons for too long when you start accidentally quoting them.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Frosto wrote::oops:

Are you embarassed because she's female, the song is girly, and you want to seem manly?
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Stalkerlicious
divine
divine

Postby Stalkerlicious » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:06 pm

HeRetiK wrote:You know you've watched the Simpsons for too long when you start accidentally quoting them.

For your sake I hope you haven't been watching it the last few years. It's such shit. An episode ended recently with a message to the effect of "before you go on the internet and complain about this episode, how about you go outside?" Though I don't know anything about how long it takes the new episodes to be played in other countries.
Frosty wrote:COWER BEFORE MY AWESOME CYNICISM AND INCESSANT HYPERANALYSIS!

Bean Bag Nuts wrote:that's not hallucinations
that's spider powers

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Elen wrote:Are you embarrassed because she's female, the song is girly, and you want to seem manly?
FUCK YOU I'M AN EXEMPLAR OF EXCESSIVE MASCULINITY

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 am

Stalkerlicious wrote:For your sake I hope you haven't been watching it the last few years. It's such shit. An episode ended recently with a message to the effect of "before you go on the internet and complain about this episode, how about you go outside?" Though I don't know anything about how long it takes the new episodes to be played in other countries.

Nah, I stopped watching the Simpsons about... 5 years ago. Couldn't stand the new episodes. I recently checked out some of the new episodes, didn't find them that bad, but it just didn't stick. The seasons I've been watching though, those I've watched over and over again and they will always pop up in my head every now and then.

Yangire
latency
latency

Postby Yangire » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:13 am

The fact that I have over five thousand Vocaloid songs is something that I berate myself for daily.
I don't mind tell people that I listen to Tyler, the Creator, though. Same with Kyary.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Just for the record ... I like some of ICP and have been told I have issues because of it.

Good music can come from anywhere ... if I like it .. I will share it.

Simpsons ... NO !!! South Park ... Yes !!!
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:16 am

I don't really withhold my opinions of music from people; I have a sort of personal pride when it comes to that kind of stuff. Like I'm entitled to any musical opinion of mine. I can't decide on any bands I could list here!

hellofromhell
latency
latency

Postby hellofromhell » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

I got in house suspension for a day for "flying juggalo colors and logos". I just sat there in a small portable with a guy that kept screaming "hail HITLER". That's why i never told anybody i liked ICP until last year. My art teacher calls me "the lil' jugalette, because unfortunately my hair is just curly and weird and sticks out like that traditional spider legs style. She also tells me that ICP has to be some of the angriest white man on the planet. True story Mrs. Giesy, True story.

Return to “Music”