Master Basser

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Bernie
deformed
deformed

Master Basser

Postby Bernie » Sun May 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Do you (yes, YOU!) play the bass? Whats your style? Do you fuzz or distort it? Add a little gain or leave it be?
Do you slap it or pick it? Fingerstyle (and how fast)?
Four strings? Five? More?
Bassist you aspire to play like or admire?

The Omniscient
undetermined
undetermined

Postby The Omniscient » Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey Bernie, I have little knowledge when it comes to bass. I'm a drummer, which figures.

Despite my lack of bass playing knowledge, I can tell who sounds good and who doesn't. 6 of my friends play bass; they're all terrible. Shit drives me crazy, they insist on being the loudest member of the band and then slapping the hell outta the damn thing claiming it's.. "music".

I'm not trying to insult you, if that's what you were thinking. After all, I've never even heard you play. The point in this post is that I want to ask your opinion; if you're an experienced bassist, (which you very well may be) do you find it's a difficult instrument to pick up and that (wannabe?) bassists tend to be the most arrogant member of the band?

Bernie
deformed
deformed

Postby Bernie » Mon May 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Well yeah some bassists forget theyre there mainly to complete the rhythm section (drums and bass, occasional rhythm guitar); the underrated members of a band often when promoted, like if a band performs on a talk show, youll hear only the vocals, then the way too loud lead guitar, and some crash, hi hat and snare (not the bands fault, but the sound techs or whatever theyre called).

I think if a bassist is so obsessed with being front and center, he may as well be the guitarist or playing in the wrong kind of band. Genre often determines what is expected of the bass player or even vice versa. Imagine if Led Zepplins bassist played like Tool's? It would be a completely different sound. Tool often has simple guitar riffs with complex drum rhythms and the bassline will be more detailed and may have effects and gain (distortion so the bass's strings are heard more as opposed to a "hum".)

I think many bassists want to be heard, but as a bassist I always saw myself as a "team player"; I didnt mind almost being behind the scenes, for without the bass a bands sound isnt completely grounded, and most musicians can hear the bass anyway no matter how quiet, and would appreciate a solid bassline that carries the song.

Britny.mark
latency
latency

Postby Britny.mark » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 am

Well, it was Björk, but I think that's just changed.
"BritnY MarK"

Return to “Music”