worst/best movie that was first a book.

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

stapledxlungs
damaged
damaged

worst/best movie that was first a book.

Postby stapledxlungs » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 pm

so we all know that turning a book into a movie is a bad mistake (most times). there are some that turn out well, but there are some that just totally ruined the book for you lol.

I thought lord of the flies kind of sucked haha. I thought the book was ok but the movie was just weirder compared to it

As far as the best one goes, I can't really say. I haven't read enough books turned into movies to have a good enough opinion. (that's probably cause there aren't any good movies that were once a book lol)

ehh what do you guys think?

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Good book adaptations:

-) Fight Club
The movie ended differently than the book, however it worked just as fine - actually I liked the end of the movie more than that of the book

-) Clockwork Orange
Some slight differences, especially since the book has an additional last chapter which puts the events more into perspective. Other than that a good adaption, although the book is a bit more extreme - the characters conveyed in the book are actually 13-16 years old, which doesn't show in the movie (however it's completely understandable that Kubrick didn't want to make the threesome sex scene with 13-16 year olds - that's what the movie Kids did decades laters anyways)

Mediocre book adaptions:

-) A Scanner Darkly
The movie just doesn't get nearly the depth of characters and story that the book has. The story told in the movie is less gripping and twisty, however I guess that's for the sake of understandability. Nonetheless not a bad adaption, but merely a-ok.

Bad book adaptions:

-) I am Legend
Seriously, the movie raped the book over and over again and left it for dead in some dirty back alley.

Special award for best Comic book adaption:

-) The Maxx (Animated Series)
It doesn't stay entirely true to the story, some parts are left out or slightly different. But this animated series really conveyed the mood and atmosphere of the comic books almost perfectly. Actually you could almost go panel for panel and see how well the series worked things out.

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:14 pm

I've seen several episodes of The Maxx. It's quite an odd show...Let see, I remember the one where the found the guys head and they stored it in a bag in the girls room. Another one, or maybe the same episode, is where she talks about having a bunny that was hit by a car; she takes it in and places it in a box in her room, which is later taken out and killed by her mother due to the fact it was near death.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.
Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:59 pm

The movie adaptation of Dune was great. [/blatant falsehood]
[/somebullshit]

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Hard to tell, I dont read books :E

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:41 pm

I was never able to get through the book. How was it overall?

daemon
divine
divine

Postby daemon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:55 am

The Harry Potter Movies Sucked. I read the first book when I was in the second grade, back when it wasnt a sin to read the damn things. I still do every now and then. But the movies blew!
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:21 am

High fidelity the book was outstanding. The movie is nearly verbatim and it's mastered beautifully. I recommend reading the book and seeing the movie, though I did those two in reverse.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:54 pm

It - Stephen King
Great book, if somewhat hard to pick up.

The movie was a method of crude lobotomy and spiritual erosion.
[/somebullshit]

stapledxlungs
damaged
damaged

Postby stapledxlungs » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:44 pm

see i saw IT and liked it but thats probably only because i did not rea d the book. hmmm

StuGa
deformed
deformed

Postby StuGa » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:36 pm

i saw IT too but i think it isn´t greater than the movie... I think the book is better.
Art is an extension of the soul. If you can not draw you are soulless.

S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:39 am

I saw IT, oddly my friend who afraid of clowns had it, it was an okay movie but I couldn't get into it.

613-018
undetermined
undetermined

Postby 613-018 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 am

What about Stephen King's 1408 or Christine?

1408 was okay, the movie's ending confused me cause I was expecting it to follow the story itself (oh silly me) but it wasn't awful.
I liked Christine (the 1986 version) though, a couple characters were left out but I thought they did it pretty smoothly; I had to think about what was different to catch it. I don't think it would have been confusing to watch Christine if you hadn't read the book first (but it definitely helped to have read it) so in that regard I say kudos to the screenwriters for writing a good standalone script.

Has anyone read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I bought it but I forgot it at home after Christmas break, so I don't know how it is compared to the movie but I adore the movie.
And if you wait on me, I'll be free some day.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:20 pm

I've read the entire series. The movie butchered it a little, but was worth watching.
[/somebullshit]

Ragdoll Bob
divine
divine
Location: Ragdolling through the universe like a, um, ragdoll thing.

Postby Ragdoll Bob » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:48 am

High Fidelity was originally a book? I'll have to read it sometime, if I can find it.

I hated the movie 1408 with a fury... Though everyone else who hadn't read it said it was alright.

I liked both versions of Christine. I actually watched the movie the day I finished the book.

Haven't seen It yet, though I really like the book.

Alfons
damaged
damaged

Postby Alfons » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:08 pm

The production quality of It is hilarious at times, but it isn't a bad adaptation.

Easier to follow than the book.
Góðan daginn.

schrotti
deformed
deformed

Postby schrotti » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Guitar_Clock wrote:High fidelity the book was outstanding. The movie is nearly verbatim and it's mastered beautifully. I recommend reading the book and seeing the movie, though I did those two in reverse.

Yeah, the book was a good read. I dunno if I would describe it as outstanding, but it was definitely a very good read. Still gotta see the movie though.

However, considering the story, I can't really imagine the book being any good after having seen the movie :-/

613-018 wrote:Has anyone read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I bought it but I forgot it at home after Christmas break, so I don't know how it is compared to the movie but I adore the movie.

The movie's ok, but compared to the book it's disappointing. Which is not a surprise however, cause the book is simply a stroke of genius. I've read the whole series, which consists in 5 parts, and it's just so incredibly hilarious from the first page on, that after the first part I actually found it hard to believe that such a high humorous level could be held for another 1000 pages, but it really was. I really recommend you get it, cause this is just a must read. In my opinion this is one of the few books everyone should have read. If you don't you really miss something.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 pm

watched the movie, liked it, i'm now near the end of the tertiary phase from the bbc audio books, after this, i'm gonna read the books, then the two games(both adventurers, one text based, extremely good i heard, the other point&click, also past decent).
after that... iunno.

i agree that the audiobooks so far are better than the movie.
Music over Matter

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:39 pm

HHGTTG is worthless with Mr. Adams.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:33 pm

I never got why the clown turned into a giant crab thing in IT. Then again the film was cheesy as hell and so I wasnt really paying attention. My cousin was actually scared to turn the bathroom tap on afterwards though.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:47 pm

The book is fantastic, if somewhat exhausting to read.
[/somebullshit]

geroge
divine
divine

Postby geroge » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 am

Fightclub was like the best one that i can think of, it changed the way i think, both the book and the movie. and then it was full of great lines such as 'i am jacks medulla oblongata, with out me jack cannot regulate his heart rate and blood pressure.'

Eragon on the other hand, made me want to destroy everything that was in or associated with the movie, it was just *blarg* aweful...

bird7795
divine
divine

Postby bird7795 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:57 am

ddue, i gotta get them fight club and it books. i'll get em tomorrow, yeah, concerning this theread ima say fuck. cant think of any movies, but it all cool. oh harry potter it's a book right? well it better be. cool movie. oky. nah. bad movie cool book. i think. fuck. can't remember. but i can see the books and dvds from where i'm sitting. fool i got a couch in front of my screen. fuck yeah. not a lazy boy. a two seater cough thingy. cool cool.

teenagepsycho17
latency
latency

Postby teenagepsycho17 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:13 pm

The best book to movie,either Carrie or divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood.graphic novel to movie,V for Vadetta or 30 days of night.

the WORST movie from a book, Blood and Chocolate. the book was wonderful,don't get me wrong,but the movie was an abortion!It had almost nothing to do with the book,and the graphics as they changed into werewolves sucked ASS.just follow the book.HOW HARD IS THAT!?
come to the dark side...we have cookies

Ashreal
divine
divine

Postby Ashreal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:04 am

The punisher comic series with Garth Ennis writing is leagues ahead of the crap movie and following video game.

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas..... Same same

Starship Troopers Robert E Heinlein, Awesome book....... the movie had casper van diem in it, draw you're own conclusions.
For those that fight for it, life has a flavour that the sheltered will never know.

Return to “Movies & TV series”