[Rec]

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 am

Although many of them are pretty dumbed down.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 am

Eschatos wrote:Its not about "dumbing it down". Its about profit.

Its about dumbing it down to make a profit off people who are too lazy to follow subtitles and too stupid to follow the original plots.

Rusty Nails
damaged
damaged

Postby Rusty Nails » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:00 pm

On [rec] re-make it was practically the same damn thing to the dot really. The only change was it's english, but to me when it's in a different language it's good I don't know that's just me.
Just let me burn, it's what I deserve, God I've lied, am I lost in your eyes....

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:26 am

Astica wrote:

Its about dumbing it down to make a profit off people who are too lazy to follow subtitles and too stupid to follow the original plots.

How is it dumbing it down?
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Rusty Nails
damaged
damaged

Postby Rusty Nails » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Eschatos wrote:How is it dumbing it down?

For those who are stupid enough not to read the english subtitles they made an english version, so that they won't feel left out.
Just let me burn, it's what I deserve, God I've lied, am I lost in your eyes....

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Eschatos wrote:
Astica wrote:

How is it dumbing it down?

I'm not speaking just about [REC], but general hollywood remakes. They change concepts they don't believe their mindless public will understand. Like getting a better looking protagonist to reinforce that they're somehow cool, and taking away the depth of antagonists to make them less deserving of sympathy, so as not to confuse audiences. Also, in terms of horror, the violence is less creative and suspense is misinterpreted as boredom and re-adapted for crowds who want straight up body genres instead of something to think about.

Rusty Nails
damaged
damaged

Postby Rusty Nails » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Astica wrote: I'm not speaking just about [REC], but general hollywood remakes. They change concepts they don't believe their mindless public will understand. Like getting a better looking protagonist to reinforce that they're somehow cool, and taking away the depth of antagonists to make them less deserving of sympathy, so as not to confuse audiences. Also, in terms of horror, the violence is less creative and suspense is misinterpreted as boredom and re-adapted for crowds who want straight up body genres instead of something to think about.

Thank you!! *kneels before Astica*

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Suspense is boring. And I'm glad you have all these examples to show me.

I don't think you get my point on that its not dumbing it down, but adding resale value to make money.
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 am

Well Ju-on would be the obvious example. The Grudge was awful. And suspense isn't awful when its done right. I don't think you get my point that in order to make things marketable to the masses, or the 80% of the population taught not to think as Noam Chomsky constantly says, they often have to take the deeper ideas/general intelligence out of films and make them easier for people to passively receive instead of allowing room for personal interpretation through presentation of the films ideas. Because we can't have people having their own thoughts, now.

Return to “Movies & TV series”