Inglourious Basterds

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:57 am

Astica wrote:
Kristinadot wrote:Did he do Kill Bill? Cause if so, urgh. Not a fan. I can't remember the names of his other movies, but I know I've seen them and was not impressed.

He's not a very good director,

Yeah right

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:35 am

^Seriously. He has his great visionary sequences and all that, but he isn't too fluent with the foundations of shot design, which leads to a lot of his shots, and consequently scenes, looking slightly messy and uncoordinated.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:39 am

I like it when shots look messy and uncoordinated.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 am

Yeahdude, when you've got a good thing going as the result of a happy mistake, why change now¿

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:11 am

Azgarth wrote:he did kill bill, which can be fun if you don't take it seriously, but no, that's not his best.
watch reservoir dogs, then tell me if you like him.

reservoir dogs and pulp fiction will always be my two favourites, not that i don't love his other films. i watched reservoir dogs again just a couple days ago, in fact. man it's so good.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am

yeah, pulp fiction is great, but reservoir dogs is even better.
both just ooze style, couple of my favourites out of a long list of movies.
Music over Matter

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm

i wouldn't say reservoir dogs is better, i really couldn't choose between the two.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:35 am

I liked Pulp Fiction better than Reservoir Dogs. But I'm a sucker for Samuel L. Jackson AND John Travolta, so it's only natural.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:13 am

they're good, yeah, but i'm a sucker for buscemi, and while he did have a minor role in pulp fiction (as waiter, as buddy holly i think), he was just awesome in reservoir dogs.
'sides, mr. blonde.
Music over Matter

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 am

buscemi is the fuckin' man.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Astica wrote:^Seriously. He has his great visionary sequences and all that, but he isn't too fluent with the foundations of shot design, which leads to a lot of his shots, and consequently scenes, looking slightly messy and uncoordinated.

Is this what film school does to people? Christ, I'm determined to change my brother's mind now.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Eschatos wrote:
Astica wrote:^Seriously. He has his great visionary sequences and all that, but he isn't too fluent with the foundations of shot design, which leads to a lot of his shots, and consequently scenes, looking slightly messy and uncoordinated.

Is this what film school does to people? Christ, I'm determined to change my brother's mind now.

:lol: what do you mean? Obviously we're going to learn how to construct shots and sequences in film school, what else would we be doing?

Now don't get me wrong, I like some of Tarantino's films, and for the most part, he's learned from other films how to make films, and that's nice, however when looking at his composition at a deeper level, it looks like he just doesn't know much of the foundations of design. I'm just sayin'.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 pm

I agree w/ esch. Tarantino is one of my favorite directors.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Why? What about his directing makes you like him so much?

Azgarth
divine
divine

Postby Azgarth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:53 pm

it's about the style. everything he makes (or at least made so far) has a more/other than real-like quality to it.
sure, it may look shoddy to a professional, but there's more to it.
compare tom waits, especially after frank's wild years, he uses two by fours, a rooster that happens to be making noise, he records some of his songs, plays them, and records that. he deliberately records in a non-soundproofed room, to let the noise seep in.
sure, it may sound like a garage band at a professional glance, but it creates a feel that is hard to find in other artists. the same goes for some of tarantino's work. even if you think "what the fuck" because of the order the first time you see pulp fiction, on second glance it makes sense. reservoir dogs being 50's type stuff, but with 70's music? stylistical choice.
Music over Matter

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 am

Ast, breaking the rules is what postmodern art is all about nowadays. Understand some theory classes before you take too seriously your foundation compositional ones.

What year are you in¿

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:56 am

Guitar_clock wrote:Ast, breaking the rules is what postmodern art is all about nowadays. Understand some theory classes before you take too seriously your foundation compositional ones.

What year are you in¿

You're missing the point. I get breaking the rules, we'd be nowhere without people that did that, but Tarantino doesn't deliberately break rules or experiment, he sticks with reasonably conventional ideas, but executes them in a rigid way that suggests he doesn't really know how to elaborate on mainstream cinema direction, or more importantly, WHY he's making the choices he makes, which is about the most important thing in film, ever.

Also, I'm about to start my third year at uni after summer break, which we are currently on.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Saw Reservoir Dogs yesterday. One of the best movies ever.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Anarch wrote:Saw Reservoir Dogs yesterday. One of the best movies ever.

Writing =/= directing.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:34 pm

I thought it was both well written and well directed, but you know, my opinion doesn't count for much cause I'm an unedumacated amarican.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Astica wrote:
Guitar_clock wrote:Ast, breaking the rules is what postmodern art is all about nowadays. Understand some theory classes before you take too seriously your foundation compositional ones.

What year are you in¿

You're missing the point.

You're missing the point. The main goal is the viewer experience. It is always that over the creator's intent.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Not always, but in this type of film, for sure. But not all viewers always have a great experience since things can be slightly tainted by the feel that he's going through the motions instead of really thinking about decisions and making them to speak about the film as well as show the content.

Although I did love Pulp Fiction.

He's written some cool shit, but I just think he's overrated as far as the whole package goes.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:56 pm

You think everything good is overrated.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:10 am

Voly wrote:You think everything good is overrated.

Because you guys always go on about whats good as opposed to whats great.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 pm

If the majority likes something, it doesn't matter what the generally decided upon "right" way is, they're obviously doing something right.

By association to this rule, Tarantino is doing something right, even if you think it's wrong. It may not be intentional, but it's so good.

Return to “Movies & TV series”