Inglourious Basterds

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 pm

disagree.
right is subjective. a lot of people doing something doesn't make it right, or wrong for that matter. it just makes it popular.
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 pm

If that looked like it was anything but exactly what I was saying, I'd understand... but I was simply saying just because Tarantino doesn't follow most modern directorial standards, doesn't mean he's a bad, or even mediocre director.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:38 am

Voly wrote:If that looked like it was anything but exactly what I was saying, I'd understand... but I was simply saying just because Tarantino doesn't follow most modern directorial standards, doesn't mean he's a bad, or even mediocre director.

HE FOLLOWS MOST MODERN DIRECTORIAL STANDARDS EXACTLY AND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO DEVIATE FROM THEM EFFECTIVELY, HENCE MY USE OF THE WORD "RIGID" LIKE FIVE TIMES ON THE LAST PAGE.

Also, no one is "right".

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 am

@GC's sig: obviously I'm only within my opinion and perspective to say this, if nobody ever expressed opinions because there is no such thing as right, the world would be a very boring place. However my opinion also isn't wrong, and another opinion I have is that my opinion is more valid than yours, since you don't really know what you're talking about and you're pretty much arguing for the sake of arguing, as you do throughout the rest of the board.

Feel free to disagree, but I will most likely disregard further comments as an extension of your malformed opinion. You don't seem to know what I'm suggesting here, anyway.

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

It was just funny and ironic, Ast. I meant no offense!

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:08 am

Sorry, I've been in a slightly venomous mood lately. All good :)

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 am

GC wrote:
Astica wrote:HE FOLLOWS MOST MODERN DIRECTORIAL STANDARDS [sic] AND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO DEVIATE FROM THEM [sic], HENCE MY USE OF THE WORD "RIGID" LIKE FIVE TIMES...
...Also, no one is "right".


... You removed the words "exactly" and "effectively" without adding ellipses. Also, "[sic]" is only used after a word that was misspelled in the original text, and no words were so misspelled, let alone the two you addended with "[sic]."
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.


____

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:28 am

Speaking of, the word "effectively", at least, was quite important to the overall statement.

User avatar
S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine
Posts: 3748
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 am
Location: 4.252.99.182
Contact:

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:36 am

Anarch, you're wrong.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.
Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.
Image

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:43 am

... About what?
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 am

Pardon my answering a question directed at you, Smoky, but I would have corrected him anyway had you not said that.

[sic] is used to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.

And although he did use it incorrectly, misspellings are not the only time they can be used.

Also, any time I quote you from now on and you use your own linguistic rules within my quote, I will add [sic].
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:50 am

you sure he's not talking just in general terms?

honestly, i dunno either. didn't really check original post with your comments on GC's edit though.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:55 am

I'm pretty sure if you want to cut words out you put [...] anyway.

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:58 am

Voly wrote:And although he did use it incorrectly, misspellings are not the only time they can be used.


*rolls eyes*

Wow, so that's what you guys are picking on me for? Way to be petty, guys.

I, Anarch, admit that I should not have used the word "only," and perhaps should have specified another example of when "[sic]" is permissible under general convention.

*slowly claps*

Congratulations, guys, I made a mistake and you noticed it.

Also, any time I quote you from now on and you use your own linguistic rules within my quote, I will add [sic].


Good! :D At least you're paying attention to rules of language, even if they're not mine, and choosing to follow them.

(By the way, I always use my own linguistic rules. It just so happens that they conform to popular linguistic rules about ninety-nine percent of the time. I think you mean "Any time I quote you from now on and you use your own linguistic rules in a way which differs from popular linguistic rules within my quote, I will add [sic].")
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:08 am

Just because you have a different rulebook doesn't make 'em different rules.

But I don't care, and I don't want your well-phrased counterargument. It doesn't matter, and like I said, I don't care that much.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 am

If it is created as a rule, and if it is used as a rule, then it is a rule. Just because only one person follows it, that doesn't diminish its definition as a rule.

If you made a set of rules which you would personally follow, such as a diet, but nobody else conformed to them, they would still be rules, they would just be your own personal rules and not anybody else's.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 am

I started to respond, then I remembered I already said I don't care.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am

Then you're obviously trying not to care. If I felt like responding, I would. I don't try to make myself not care about things.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:22 am

Well, you've forced my hand, then.

I was referring to the rules you share with the majority being the same rules. Even if you call them your rules, they're the same as everyone else's.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:07 am

Gosh, a wall of text and all I did was misuse [sic]

I'm too lazy to change it. I hope it doesn't ruin your week Flippidy Floppidy Floo Floo Fart Maker, Esq.

User avatar
S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine
Posts: 3748
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 am
Location: 4.252.99.182
Contact:

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 am

Ironically, I was just saying he was wrong, because Anarch has his own ways of doing something whether it was right or wrong.
For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.

Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.

Image

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:12 am

It's funny that everyone is arguing about what is right and wrong given the nature of the quote :lol:

User avatar
dot.
divine
divine
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Postby dot. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:57 pm

YAY IRONY!


Poor Anarch. I think your rules are cool. Well, not the rules themselves. They could get a lil annoying - But it's cool that you have your own set.

That said, I say that you're fucking crazy.
I've got one hand in my pocket

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 pm

We could not keep from flinging shit in our modern suits and ties
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.




____

User avatar
dot.
divine
divine
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Postby dot. » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:46 am

Modest Mouse ftl.
I've got one hand in my pocket


Return to “Movies & TV series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests