Boondock Saints Two

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Anarch wrote:
Astica wrote:
Voly wrote:Not good ones?

Not ones like Boondock Saints, Transformers and Juno, which seem to be the sorts of American films discussed here. There are some decent American films about, but no-one seems willing to talk about them :(


... Never put Boondock Saints next to Transformers or Juno in a list, ever again.


You forget to make a ludicrous threat that will never be fulfilled.


Anarch wrote:Boondock Saints was a great movie. But, as a rule, all sequels suck, so I doubt I'll care to see Boondock Saints Two (or Crank Two, for that matter).


I liked Godfather 2 and the other five Star Wars movies. I never realized I had been watching trash the whole time.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 pm

forgot, please.
seeing as those are series, you could choose not to count them as sequels, they've been planned from the beginning.
even if you don't, however, there are usually exceptions to the rules.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:27 pm

I think the lesson to take away instead is that sequels to Summer Block Buster Action movies suck.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 pm

hmmnah, there's plenty other sequels that suck too.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Santa Clause 2 with Tim Allen fucking rocked. Don't ever deny it.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm

american psycho 2 on the other hand...
Music over Matter

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Christian Bale though. So savage.

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:12 am

Anarch wrote:
Astica wrote:
Voly wrote:Not good ones?

Not ones like Boondock Saints, Transformers and Juno, which seem to be the sorts of American films discussed here. There are some decent American films about, but no-one seems willing to talk about them :(


... Never put Boondock Saints next to Transformers or Juno in a list, ever again.

Why? They're all for the same type of thing, different genres and demographics maybe, but they're all the same type of film.

Also, there are a few good sequels, although they're rare. [REC]2 was one of these, although I think it may have been pre-planned and filmed around the same time. Either that, or they were incredibly accurate in putting all the blood and bullet holes and shit back where they were supposed to be.

ƒrosty
divine
divine
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Postby ƒrosty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:08 am

Astica wrote:Why? They're all for the same type of thing, different genres and demographics maybe, but they're all the same type of film.

They're the same kind of movie in the sense that leather and filet mignon are both cow matter. While technically true, only one is tasty.

Boondock Saints is tasty; Transformers was impossible to digest.
[/somebullshit]

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:12 am

I know I've said it before, but sometimes I hate you, Frosty. This is definitely not one of those times.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:59 am

Frosty does have a point. Michael Cera looks nothing like Optimus Prime. And Ellen Page can only be compared to Megan Fox if the lights are off and your hands are numb. Plus, Juno was about teenage pregnancy, not silicon based lifeforms from another planet going to war on ours. And I'm pretty sure Juno won't have a sequel. Unless they decide to have the baby girl get knocked up. :shock:

User avatar
Elen Sila
divine
divine
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby Elen Sila » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 am

Azzie wrote:how about series anarch? or do you think all bonds after dr. no were bad?


It depends whether the sequels were written after the commercial success of the original, or whether they were part of the original story, but saved for later installments.

James Bond is a series of sequels. Sequels suck. James Bond did, however, stay good for the first few sequels at least, proving itself a rare exception to the general rule.

The Star Wars trilogy is one story divided into parts. The prequels, however, suck, in accordance with the general rule.

AUG wrote:
Anarch wrote:Boondock Saints was a great movie. But, as a rule, all sequels suck, so I doubt I'll care to see Boondock Saints Two (or Crank Two, for that matter).


I liked Godfather 2 and the other five Star Wars movies. I never realized I had been watching trash the whole time.


For every rule there are exceptions, however rare.

But I might point out that The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi were not sequels, they were subsequent parts of one story. The new movies were sequels, and they sucked.

EDIT: Azgarth basically said this. Whatever.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.


____

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 am

@Frost and AUG: firstly, I'm biased since I didn't like any of those films, secondly, they were all safe films made for profit which is why I grouped them together. I often find that people will only like one of the above, as well, since they all cater to different demographics to cover everyone, although I'm glad you guys prefer Boondock to Transformers or Juno. While Bookdock didn't impress me, it wasn't as bad as Juno, and I'm just assuming Transformers is shit because...well, Michael Bay and Megan Fox with bad CGI tits, explosions and well, transformers of all things, isn't exactly the recipe of a masterpiece.

ƒrosty
divine
divine
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Postby ƒrosty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:14 am

Saying "Firstly, I'm biased" immediately invalidates anything you say afterward. This discussion is through.
[/somebullshit]

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:37 am

Frosty wrote:Saying "Firstly, I'm biased" immediately invalidates anything you say afterward. This discussion is through.

Oh come on, you were just as biased in saying Boondock was tasty when the others weren't. There is nothing valid in any of these discussions, including this one.

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Anarch wrote:James Bond is a series of sequels. Sequels suck. James Bond did, however, stay good for the first few sequels at least, proving itself a rare exception to the general rule.

Oh yeah, all the others sucked.

Especially Goldeneye.

And especially the World is Not Enough.

/sarcasm

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:05 pm

you take goldeneye as one of the prime examples of a good bond?
it was nice, but... not goldfinger?
hell, my personal fave is live and let die.
Music over Matter

ƒrosty
divine
divine
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Postby ƒrosty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Astica wrote:Oh come on, you were just as biased in saying Boondock was tasty when the others weren't. There is nothing valid in any of these discussions, including this one.

I enjoyed Boondock Saints on its own merits. I would've liked it even if it were shot in New Zealand.
[/somebullshit]

User avatar
Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass
Posts: 8862
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:57 am
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Astica wrote:@Frost and AUG: firstly, I'm biased


Wow, no shit?
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm

everyone's biased to a certain degree.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Astica
divine
divine
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Astica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:37 am

Frosty wrote:
Astica wrote:Oh come on, you were just as biased in saying Boondock was tasty when the others weren't. There is nothing valid in any of these discussions, including this one.

I enjoyed Boondock Saints on its own merits. I would've liked it even if it were shot in New Zealand.

...What? I'm saying you're biased in saying the films have nothing in common because you liked Boondock. I'm saying I'm biased in saying the films fall into the same category because I didn't like any of them. Where they're filmed has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:53 am

Do you think you could recommend some good movies from New Zealand then?

ƒrosty
divine
divine
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 am

Lord of the Rings.

Astica wrote:...What? I'm saying you're biased in saying the films have nothing in common because you liked Boondock.

It appears I don't really know what's going on. I thought this was about American films in general.
[/somebullshit]

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:41 am

Frosty wrote:Lord of the Rings.


That shit reeks of Hollywood.

EDIT: I also think Lord of the Rings falls under "safe" movies by Astica's standards. It is based on a classic series of novels that were always popular. So while it is awesome, I'm looking for Astica's opinions on what real movies should be.

ƒrosty
divine
divine
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Postby ƒrosty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:49 am

I bet you'd say that about any movie that's popular in America.
[/somebullshit]


Return to “Movies & TV series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest