Murnau's Nosferatu

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Astica
divine
divine

Murnau's Nosferatu

Postby Astica » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Finally watched this film this weekend. At first I thought it was kind of poorly made, even for its time, but I imagine the stop motion sequences would have been incredibly difficult with film instead of digital and actual lighting would have created huge problems since a lot of it was filmed outside. I loved the tints though, they solved would would have been a lot of confusion over day and night, and the intertitles were cool. I think they could have done better though, they kind of just seemed to settle for what would impress people at the time as opposed to what really looked cool, which is a bit of a shame since the story was pretty cool.

I felt quite sorry for Count Orlok, really, it would suck to be a weird looking vampire who can't go outside during the day and who happens to bring the plague around with him. Stupid special dirt carrying rats and being necessary.

I guess this film deserves a bit more credit than I'm giving it, sure the effects were quite shit in places, but they didn't really have much in the way of pre-recorded examples to learn from, and they had to experiment quite a bit. Overall I liked it though, who else has seen it and what do you think?

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:27 pm

I saw it not that long ago actually. I thought the special effects were a bit inconsistent. There were some parts, like where Nosferatu is rising out of his coffin, or where he's fading away at the end, where the special effects looked really good, but then there were some parts, like where the trap door on the ship was opening, that were just awful.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:43 am

Yeah, that trap door cracked me up. Especially how they stopped stop motion-ing it once the latch was out of the shot, then they just casually pulled it. To be fair, they were one of the first, if not the first, people to try this, but even though they wouldn't have known the frames-per-second rules, it surely would have been common sense to cut it closer than that. I liked Nosferatu's costume though, although its possibly the first time I've seen a vampire with fangs in their front teeth instead of their eye teeth or somewhere. Looked a bit bunny-rabbit like.

Return to “Movies & TV series”