Avatar 3D

The place for anything that is related to movies or tv series.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 pm

please do. i'm interested in hearing why it is anything but the choice of something other than your current life. that's not being a pussy, that's making a choice based on what you want as opposed to going "ooh i'm tough because i choose to stay alive".
Music over Matter

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:36 am

You could just as easily make the argument that life is for pussies who are afraid to move on, Zyn.
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive
Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine
The only thing I need is time
To change your mind, I said

User avatar
dot.
divine
divine
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Postby dot. » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

I disagree, too. I mean, it can be a coward's way out, but that just depends on the situation.

I don't think I could ever kill myself. I'm too afraid to do it. I'm afraid that I'd fuck it up and end up as a veggie or in a mental institution. I'm afraid of what comes after death. I'm afraid of leaving Jimi without a mother, or worse, leaving her to a stepmother like mine was.

There have been many brave suicides.

User avatar
Guitar_clock
divine
divine
Posts: 11480
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Postby Guitar_clock » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:50 pm

I just had a thought.

Life is a coward's way out.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm

to postpone, depending on your view on death, yeah. though i doubt you're half as serious with your comment as i am with mine.
Music over Matter

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 am

Most suicides are anything but brave or honorable as far as I'm concerned, although there are exceptions. The big picture may disagree, but I've never been much of a big picture guy.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
S. [Burned] Y.
divine
divine
Posts: 3748
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 am
Location: 4.252.99.182
Contact:

Postby S. [Burned] Y. » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 am

For all we know humans are just weapons created by the world.
Yonaka Sanryu - This thread makes the EMOs slit their wrists.
Image

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 am

burned, what the hell was that?
Music over Matter

User avatar
ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper
Posts: 4906
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: Finland

Postby ardizt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Newgrounds people..I never got those people.
Image

User avatar
HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7931
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: yurop
Contact:

Postby HeRetiK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Yay for Happy Harry Toons :D

@Avatar Depression: What the fuck. That's just sad. I mean it is a cool planet. But there a lot of beautiful places all around the world as well.

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm

@ Az: It's a personal view of mine that any problem can be solved if the right steps are taken. Generally, people who suicide are stuck in a problem and are too afraid/think they are unable to move past it. I can't give specific examples, sorry, because I can't think of any right now. However, I also cannot find any point where there are too many problems for a person and suicide is a viable option. Recently, I've had the discussion with someone over this topic and they did raise the point that I subconsciously assume everyone has the emotional ability to accept trouble and move past it. As far as I'm concerned, there is not a point where the human, if they are willing to try, cannot move forward through trouble. The human is simply too adaptive. However, the point where they give up trying is where they are weak (aka pussies). The suicide itself is merely the manifestation of their willpower failing.


@Voly: I can only really think of a suicide as honorable if it were, for example, a military general killing himself instead of being tortured as not to accidentally reveal information.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:42 pm

@ Az: It's a personal view of mine that any problem can be solved if the right steps are taken.

strongly disagree. how about someone who's life was running, lost his legs up to his upper legs in a carcrash?
someone with clinical depression, for whom the current medicine do not work?
a schizophrenic for whom the meds don't work?
someone who's in such a financial pit that she can't get out of it anymore?
someone who's in pain for all of his life, and will be for the rest of it as well?
someone who's only got 6 months to live, all six with pain?

Generally, people who suicide are stuck in a problem and are too afraid/think they are unable to move past it.

plenty of people that commit suicide, yeah. not nearly all.
and who says that the situation they think they can't move past is able to be resolved? see above for a few examples.

However, I also cannot find any point where there are too many problems for a person and suicide is a viable option.

example of someone i know:
strong schizophrenic, ex-brawler living on state money, has a rap sheet. severly depressed. meds don't work nearly enough. only lives for his family, those he cares about. completely alienated from anyone else but them. recently his wife wanted a divorce. his kids will almost never meet him anymore.
i wouldn't be surprised if during a fit of schiz or stronger depression he offed himself, and wouldn't blame him if he did. he's thinking about it.


As far as I'm concerned, there is not a point where the human, if they are willing to try, cannot move forward through trouble.

A human, maybe, THE human, no.
there's plenty of things a lot of people can't move past. not being able to do so isn't weakness the way you normally view it. it's just incapability.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:19 pm

strongly disagree. how about someone who's life was running, lost his legs up to his upper legs in a carcrash? someone with clinical depression, for whom the current medicine do not work?
a schizophrenic for whom the meds don't work?
someone who's in such a financial pit that she can't get out of it anymore?
someone who's in pain for all of his life, and will be for the rest of it as well?
someone who's only got 6 months to live, all six with pain?


Terrible situations, but not unable to be overcome.
Prosthetics
There are other ways to treat depression such as psychotherapy and natural herbology.
I don't know anything about schiz so I can't answer that with an educated opinion ^.^;
That seems, to me, to be mostly their own fault. Should've been stopped long ago. If it wasn't their fault, then I'd need to know the circumstances.
That's a case where I believe suicide is an option. Humanly euthanizing should be legal for terminally ill victims.
See above.

plenty of people that commit suicide, yeah. not nearly all.
and who says that the situation they think they can't move past is able to be resolved? see above for a few examples.


Generally, meaning I'll give the exception of a few cases.




example of someone i know:
strong schizophrenic, ex-brawler living on state money, has a rap sheet. severly depressed. meds don't work nearly enough. only lives for his family, those he cares about. completely alienated from anyone else but them. recently his wife wanted a divorce. his kids will almost never meet him anymore.
i wouldn't be surprised if during a fit of schiz or stronger depression he offed himself, and wouldn't blame him if he did. he's thinking about it.


It's partially a case where the cause of the divorce and such and the rap sheet would need to be debated, not his current state. Again, I know nearly nothing about schitz, and the depression, see above.

A human, maybe, THE human, no.
there's plenty of things a lot of people can't move past. not being able to do so isn't weakness the way you normally view it. it's just incapability.


I get what you're saying here, the human isn't perfect and most of flaws of inability. I view anything deviating from the highest standard as a weakness, though. That's just my denotation of it.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Terrible situations, but not unable to be overcome.
Prosthetics
There are other ways to treat depression such as psychotherapy and natural herbology.
I don't know anything about schiz so I can't answer that with an educated opinion ^.^;
That seems, to me, to be mostly their own fault. Should've been stopped long ago. If it wasn't their fault, then I'd need to know the circumstances.
That's a case where I believe suicide is an option. Humanly euthanizing should be legal for terminally ill victims.
See above.

prosthetics, sure. not if you've lost the whole of your legs, not running at least, especially not like you used to.
which are usually even less effective. lets rephrase then "no currently known or available way to balance it, let alone to get rid of it.
fair enough, it's hell.
bad partner who got you in debt is a possibility. don't matter how they got there though, matters how they can get out, and what to do if they can't.
the bottom of those two is terminal, the upper isn't, just in permanent pain. you still think that's a legit reason for suicide?

It's partially a case where the cause of the divorce and such and the rap sheet would need to be debated, not his current state. Again, I know nearly nothing about schitz, and the depression, see above.

rap sheet et all don't matter much, just means he's been chewed up in almost any way possible by the gov't, psych wards, prisons, stuff like that. stuff he did during a psychosis mostly.

I get what you're saying here, the human isn't perfect and most of flaws of inability. I view anything deviating from the highest standard as a weakness, though. That's just my denotation of it.

you view more than roughly 1/6,796,700,000th of humans as untermensch?
Music over Matter

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:23 pm

prosthetics, sure. not if you've lost the whole of your legs, not running at least, especially not like you used to.
which are usually even less effective. lets rephrase then "no currently known or available way to balance it, let alone to get rid of it.
fair enough, it's hell.
bad partner who got you in debt is a possibility. don't matter how they got there though, matters how they can get out, and what to do if they can't.
the bottom of those two is terminal, the upper isn't, just in permanent pain. you still think that's a legit reason for suicide?


Admittedly, prosthesis would be awkward, but that's where the perseverance and ability to overcome come into play.
If there is absolutely no way to help it in human's ability, I place that in the same category as permanent pain, in an emotional/social sense.
Well, how they got there does matter. Because they may have already passed all the points where they could successfully correct the problem and ignored them, thus making it as much self-inflicted as anything else. It'll take extreme measures, but it's still correctable.
If you are in pain for the remainder of your life so that life can no longer offer any comfort or enjoyment, yes, I believe this to a good reason for a medicinal, prepared suicide.

rap sheet et all don't matter much, just means he's been chewed up in almost any way possible by the gov't, psych wards, prisons, stuff like that. stuff he did during a psychosis mostly.


So, essentially, the basis of all his troubles is his schitz/depression? Because, if such, I can't really argue it. Uninformed, after all. I'll look into schizophrenia and learn what I can, though, over the next few days.

you view more than roughly 1/6,796,700,000th of humans as untermensch?


Untermensch? I don't know that word. I'm assuming it means weak or imperfect or such? If so, actually, I view all of them as such. No human is perfect, thus every human has point in which they are weak, yea?
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Well, how they got there does matter. Because they may have already passed all the points where they could successfully correct the problem and ignored them, thus making it as much self-inflicted as anything else. It'll take extreme measures, but it's still correctable.

yes, but seeing as they ARE in that state, it's live like that or die. you think people like that would be cowards to die? that they shouldn't be allowed to?

If you are in pain for the remainder of your life so that life can no longer offer any comfort or enjoyment, yes, I believe this to a good reason for a medicinal, prepared suicide.

and what if there's no assisted suicide possible?

So, essentially, the basis of all his troubles is his schitz/depression? Because, if such, I can't really argue it. Uninformed, after all. I'll look into schizophrenia and learn what I can, though, over the next few days.

those are bad, but the rest is to point out that not only is his mind against him, his surroundings are crap as well. all heh as pretty much is his computer.

Untermensch? I don't know that word. I'm assuming it means weak or imperfect or such? If so, actually, I view all of them as such. No human is perfect, thus every human has point in which they are weak, yea?


"Untermensch (German for under man, sub-man, sub-human; plural: Untermenschen) is a term from Nazi racial ideology used to describe "inferior people"

as for every human being being weak at one thing or another, definitely agreed. also in part because being strong in some things automatically make you weak in others.
Music over Matter

User avatar
Ay-Ze
deformed
deformed
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:26 am
Location: The third dimension

Postby Ay-Ze » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am

How about we just say suicide is bad, with exceptions.
A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:48 am

no. we are having a nice conversation, join in if you want, but simplification and skipping to conclusions is boring.
Music over Matter

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine
Posts: 9942
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:17 pm
Location: on the corner of nothin' and nowhere

Postby dickwad » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:56 am

so is this conversation. how many times has this subject been brough up on md? srsly.

but then again, i can just ignore this topic. as you were.

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 am

This is probably more common than the whole "guns aren't honorable" debate, which I probably just started, too.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Chichevache
divine
divine
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Postby Chichevache » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:04 am

Zynathias wrote:No human is perfect


Jesus was.
I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive

Your fingers breaking as I place them over mine

The only thing I need is time

To change your mind, I said

User avatar
ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper
Posts: 4906
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: Finland

Postby ardizt » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:39 pm

His beard only was divine
Image

Voly
divine
divine
Posts: 8107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Ahead of the curve
Contact:

Postby Voly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Beards in general are divine. I wish I could grow one. I think I'm going to use miracle grow on my chin. Random assorted hairs aren't doing the fuckin' job anymore.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

User avatar
Zyn
divine
divine
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Past the deep end and still swimming
Contact:

Postby Zyn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:46 pm

yes, but seeing as they ARE in that state, it's live like that or die. you think people like that would be cowards to die? that they shouldn't be allowed to?


They already took the cowardly route by not doing what's necessary, if they kill themself, it's only a reaffirmation. BTW, @ "they shouldn't be allowed to?" I'm not saying that we can keep people from suicide, I'm just saying they're showing a weakness of mind/will/spirit/whatever to do it.

As for living like that, as I said, there are extreme measures than can be taken to help.

and what if there's no assisted suicide possible?
'

How so?
They should still be able to end their life if their life is nothing more than an amalgam of pain and suffering with no hope of getting better. If there's a way to get better, than suicide ought not be an option.

those are bad, but the rest is to point out that not only is his mind against him, his surroundings are crap as well. all heh as pretty much is his computer.


That's a shitty bit of luck. I can argue his general points, though, that institutions and such may provide some comfort, however, not knowing his life to the very specifics, anything else I can say would be speculation.

as for every human being being weak at one thing or another, definitely agreed. also in part because being strong in some things automatically make you weak in others.


Yup. Though my definition of strong means they are near the top capacity of whatever they are doing.

AnUnivitedGuest wrote:
Zynathias wrote: No human is perfect


Jesus was


I'm tempted to argue this, but I've learned how religious debates work here.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.


Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

User avatar
Azgarth
divine
divine
Posts: 5554
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am
Location: holland

Postby Azgarth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:03 pm

How so?
They should still be able to end their life if their life is nothing more than an amalgam of pain and suffering with no hope of getting better. If there's a way to get better, than suicide ought not be an option.

well, speaking from holland, we have an euthanasia declaration we can take, stating when we want to have it ended. however, pretty much no doctor is willing to be taken up on it. technically you should be able to be euthanized in specific situations, but in practicality you can't. people won't help you, so no assisted suicide.

hat institutions and such may provide some comfort

having been in such institutes for those i care about, and being researched by psychiatrists and psychologists years ago, i can tell you that if you truly are in such a bad state, institutions do NOT provide comfort.

Yup. Though my definition of strong means they are near the top capacity of whatever they are doing.

so near max of what that specific PERSON can do? of what the best imaginary human can do?

They already took the cowardly route by not doing what's necessary, if they kill themself, it's only a reaffirmation. BTW, @ "they shouldn't be allowed to?" I'm not saying that we can keep people from suicide, I'm just saying they're showing a weakness of mind/will/spirit/whatever to do it.

it's the action and motive in the circumstance that would warrant if it would be weak or not, i'd say. not the history. weakness can have been in past events, but that does not colour present ones.

As for living like that, as I said, there are extreme measures than can be taken to help.

i know people like that, having to live on 5 bucks a week because of debts someone else made, debts that keep on going 'till they're repaid, and can't ever be repaid in our lifetime.
Music over Matter


Return to “Movies & TV series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest