101 reasons why Skinny Puppy fan[atic]s are unpopular

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

101 reasons why Skinny Puppy fan[atic]s are unpopular

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Mon May 12, 2008 9:33 pm

While listening to The Greater Wrong of the Right I googled for some SP-related stuff and I found this. Amusing reading for those who know a bit about the band.

http://hemmingsson.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... unpopular/

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 pm

52/ They send hatemail, death threats and mailbombs to any magazine, website, etc which suggests that Ministry were the most pioneering industrial band ever (or even worse, that NIN are) and then make everyone boycott the magazine/website/whatever.

it actually really makes me mad when magazines and websites do that, haha.

76/ Their understanding of ‘mellow’ when asked to play a mellow song results in them putting on ‘Killing Game’.

but that track is mellow! XD

7/ They have screen names such as ‘ice cream eyes’ and ‘urban needle’ which no one else understands.

oh and this is funny considering i recently set my psn name up as "too dark park".

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Mon May 12, 2008 11:06 pm

I guess I'm not familiar enough with Skinny Puppy to fit any of this ;p

They're live performance is great though.

8/ They also like Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, SPK and various other noisy shit like that.

Heh... Einstürzende Neubauten are great and actually, not as noisy as many people may think. They've got a nice groove going on.

SPK, I don't know.

Throbbing Gristle... Throbbing Gristle my ASS, I've never seen anything worse before. Their audience make it even worse. Imagine a bunch of people sitting on stage, generating some humming noise FOR MORE THAN A FUCKING HOUR and people applauding at the end "because although they don't get it they know it's great". I wish I would have made this quote up.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 am

neubauten are awesome, and some of their early stuff ("kollaps", for example) i would say is pretty damn noisey. not as noisey as, say, merzbow, but noisey enough.

SPK aren't that noisy and are actually pretty similar to skinny puppy, they were among the first wave of industrial music along with throbbing gristle.

who said that quote? fucking twat. throbbing gristle is awesome, i ought to send you some of their "actual music" some time. even though you probably won't like it.

Schnabel von Rom
divine
divine

Postby Schnabel von Rom » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 am

I have the same impression of TG as hery. I remember their music as just noise, kinda like when my grandpa shifts gears with his Lada.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue May 13, 2008 9:38 am

lskadfhslkadfh; wrote:who said that quote? fucking twat. throbbing gristle is awesome, i ought to send you some of their "actual music" some time. even though you probably won't like it.

it was in a review.

maybe i got a wrong impression of throbbing gristle. but what i saw on that very faithful day can't be made undone. it wasn't even noise. it was nothing. it was just... humming.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 pm

well i don't know what you're on about so i can't exactly defend it, but i can say that "just noise" can be very enjoyable. all music is just an arrangement of sounds, what's the difference?

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue May 13, 2008 9:43 pm

well, in this case the difference was that they played only about one sound. For more than an hour. It seemed like a cool intro at first. But after about 30 minutes you start thinking about how you could spend your time in a better way. E.g.: Sleeping

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 am

i was mostly speaking generally, but i do love some drone whether that's relevant or not.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 am

don't get me wrong, maybe I just got a wrong impression.
however, wrong impression or not, it was definately a lasting one.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed May 14, 2008 8:34 pm

next time you're on aim i'll send you some stuff, and you'll be like "well this aint so bad".

geroge
divine
divine

Postby geroge » Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 am

That was so awesome.

Return to “Music”