Metal vs. Electronica

Talk about music, bands, concerts, instruments, etc.

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Metal vs. Electronica

Postby HeRetiK » Thu May 29, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm a split personality as far as music is concerned. I love both Metal and Electronica. Taking my favourites from both worlds and everything inbetween. But the problem is... there are only so few that think alike.

Many of my friends listen to Metal. They know bands no one ever has heard of. But these people usually don't have any access to electronic music.

Then I know people that listen to Electronic music. Partially even good (imho) Electronica. And they don't any access to Metal.

Of course there are some exceptions. But all in all I'm trapped inbetween worlds.

:(

...at least the Metal chicks are the ones that dig my hair.

Once again a thread of mine ended up as more of a Blog post than an actual discussion thread.

ƒrosty
divine
divine

Postby ƒrosty » Thu May 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Or better yet, Electronic Metal. :D

For me, it basically boils down to the fact that I like both, but Metal is situational, whereas I can listen to Electronica whenever.
[/somebullshit]

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Thu May 29, 2008 6:25 pm

electronica.. i don't like that word. i'm guessing you mean electronic music in general, in which case there is just too much great stuff out there to ignore. it's like a completely different world to that of conventional (guitar/bass/drums) music. both have their highs and lows, but if you have an open mind you will be rewarded with so much more great music than you would have if you only payed attention to metal. (and vice versa)

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Thu May 29, 2008 7:09 pm

I like metal, rap and electronic music, but electronic metal is the shiz, like Rammstein, Turmion Kätilöt and Skinny Puppy(??)

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 pm

lskadfhslkadfh; wrote:electronica.. i don't like that word. i'm guessing you mean electronic music in general, in which case there is just too much great stuff out there to ignore. it's like a completely different world to that of conventional (guitar/bass/drums) music. both have their highs and lows, but if you have an open mind you will be rewarded with so much more great music than you would have if you only payed attention to metal. (and vice versa)

I'm only using the world electronica because I dislike the word IDM. And I don't mean electronic music in general, I mean electronica.

daemon
divine
divine

Postby daemon » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

Likke techno and rave and shit?
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

Stalkerlicious
divine
divine

Postby Stalkerlicious » Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 pm

I prefer electronica. That's my default music channel (up in the 700s) because I'm more likely to hear something I like. There are times when I come across metal that I'll listen to, but it seems to be rare. Usually that is one of the genres that is too chaotic and unorganized for me to put up with.
Frosty wrote:COWER BEFORE MY AWESOME CYNICISM AND INCESSANT HYPERANALYSIS!

Bean Bag Nuts wrote:that's not hallucinations
that's spider powers

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 am

deserted_daemon wrote:Likke techno and rave and shit?

that's what comes to my mind when i hear (or read) the word "electronica". in which case i can't stand it, it's like the electronic equivilant to punk music, little to no talent required. if you consider "IDM" to be electronica, though, of course i dig that.

I like metal, rap and electronic music, but electronic metal is the shiz, like Rammstein, Turmion Kätilöt and Skinny Puppy(??)

not really. you might be able to make an argument for rabies or even the process, but the guitars are mostly there for an added touch to the core electronic backbone. i don't like so called "industrial metal" because the two genres are practically impossible to combine. it always either ends up sounding like rock with electronic influences or electronic music with rock influences. there's not really any middle ground. ministry are the only band that comes close in this department.

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 am

I like both, but usually start listening listen to each depending on different moods. Often this merges so I listen to both around the same time though.

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:45 am

lskadfhslkadfh; wrote:that's what comes to my mind when i hear (or read) the word "electronica". in which case i can't stand it, it's like the electronic equivilant to punk music, little to no talent required. if you consider "IDM" to be electronica, though, of course i dig that.

Yeah, I actually refer to IDM if I talk about Electronica. It just seems kinda snobish to call genre "Intelligent Dance Music"

I guess with the electronic equivalent to punk music you mean something amongst the lines of Noisecore, like Atari Teenage Riot and Alec Empire?

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:38 am

it is very snobish, but what ya gonna do.

i wasn't referring to ATR or alec empire, or any kind of punk/electronic combination. i meant in the sense that the mindless strumming of chords of punk music can be compared to the mindless non-changing beats of rave or "techno". it's very much non-intelligent electronic music. the difference between the two, though, is that punk was very influential, and important culturally. while rave etc. has no redeeming quality, it's just music to take ecstacy to.

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:11 pm

I metal and electronic music. (The only kind of music I listen to).
I love the song called "Lies" by Kamera.
And I love bands like Samael, Ministry, etc.
I'm mostly a metalhead but I'm trying to branch out into some electronic music. So instead of listening to Hard Attack all the time, I am starting to listen to Area 33 which is mostly trance but I usually end up getting freaked out because some of the music makes no sense.
Yay! My signature sucks!

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah this music thing is pretty neat, huh?
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:20 pm

if you like ministry you're already half-way to liking industrial, probably the easiest form of electronic music for a metalhead to get into. and the greatest form of music period.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:59 pm

and genre of my favorite band. :D
Is there a promised land

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:42 am

for the (probably not) last time, fear factory is not industrial! you n00b.

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:34 am

YESH IT ISH!
Is there a promised land

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:12 pm

I seriously don't think Fear Factory is industrial but it depends on what song you listen to. Burton C. Bell was into the whole entire industrial goth thing, and he loves Ministry. He added some industrial influence to some of his songs. But to tell the truth, I think Fear Factory is metal.
Yay! My signature sucks!

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:17 am

So what the fuck do you consider Industrial? KMFDM? If that's so, then keep your shit music.
Is there a promised land

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:39 am

Industrial to me is like A2 if you have ever heard of them. Listen to the song United We Strand Remix its a great song. By the way, I love Fear Factory. Its just that most of their music is not industrial. Its metal.
Yay! My signature sucks!

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:19 am

i cannot find this band/song you refer to. link?

ardizt
Captain Evil Stomper

Postby ardizt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:56 am

Screw them genres, I listen to anything if it sounds good. Cant we all just live in peace ;_;

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Yay! My signature sucks!

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Ardizt wrote:Screw them genres, I listen to anything if it sounds good. Cant we all just live in peace ;_;

i don't think anybody is attacking eachother's genres here, just pointless arguing about what's what.

listening to "too much time", i wouldn't call this industrial. it's basically just electro with a little ebm influence. it's not bad though.

edit: "chosen one" is very much a rock tune with little samples here and there. people often consider that "industrial", it's a common misconception that annoys me as it's more rock than anything else, and industrial is all about experimentation.

edit #2: wikipedia has a pretty good and informative article about industrial music. link

damaged
damaged

Postby 1010011010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:31 pm

"Chosen One" is in Shadow the Hedgehog. :P

Eschatos, what is your favourite Fear Factory song?
Yay! My signature sucks!

Return to “Music”