Does Anybody Around Here Read?

talk about... stuff.

Anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere goes here!

Moderators: HeRetiK, The inner Core

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:12 am

R.A. Salvatore-- massive Drizzt Do'urden series. I'm reading that too, though I'm taking a break from them. Got the 13th book of the Wheel of Time today, I'll start it soon .
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

HartKat
damaged
damaged
Location: I dont even know anymore!(holy shit a guy with wings!)

Postby HartKat » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 am

Im reading a book called switchers its about a girl named Tess that can switch from human to any animal that exists and then a boy comes with the same ability.

Remember she hasent told anyone her secret.

The boys name is Kevin and he needs help with somthing.(I havent got that far yet)

Rats are weird.
WAIT!, were working with some really unstable herbs!

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 pm

Zynathias wrote:hmmm...background there's almost NONE of

So are you telling me no information is ever given of the world before the Breaking and the way people shaped the world and why or explanation into how the concept of a forever repeating universe fits into the story or the motives of Shai'tan and his followers?

If that's the case, then that is some shitty fantasy. Harry Potter had more backstory.

Also, its called a "spoiler" for a reason. I'm only on four and the girls are still members of Tar Valon.
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Kex
distorted
distorted

Postby Kex » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Currenty reading: The Bible, the Mormon Bible, the Quran, Jarhead, Requiem for a dream, Starwars Heir to the Empire, Rainbowsix.

Love reading Genesis, the way these people thought, so basic. My favourite part...

"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

If i had my way the chapter would be renamed from the 'Fall of man' to 'The birth of man'

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Its referred to as the fall of man, not named as such. And why the "birth of man"? Why not the birth of knowledge or something similar?
Is there a promised land

Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?

Are the streets paved with gold

Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?

DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:15 pm

There's a little, ALMOST NONE...uhm...One book is devoted entirely to it, maybe book 5 or 6? But you gotta remember, they don't know what happened before, only the Forsaken do, and some of the Aies Sedia. Like Moraine, as I'm sure you've noticed.
And trust me, not a spoiler, you have no idea what is about to happen.
S. [Burned] Y. wrote:Zyn, please stop telling the special ed kids of your school about this place.

Voly wrote:You just earned back all the many, many points I've taken away from you (mentally) since you've been here.

cm2dude
undetermined
undetermined

Postby cm2dude » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 pm

The Double by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
A superfluous man

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Same guy who wrote Crime and Punishment, a very nice book.

Ay-Ze
deformed
deformed

Postby Ay-Ze » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 am

My mom is getting me The Sphere by Stephen King. Is it any good?
A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Was it really Stephen King that wrote that? I've seen the movie when I was younger, and if its the same thing, then yeah, its pretty awesome.
I've got one hand in my pocket

some_body
damaged
damaged

Postby some_body » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 pm

The Sphere?
I don't think Stephen King wrote a book titled that.
are you sure its not The Dark Tower, i think its about a sphere that has been stolen called Maerlyn's Grapefruit.
life scars us all.
some people where them on the outside,
others hide them on the inside,
but no one escapes unscathed.

evilredqueen
divine
divine

Postby evilredqueen » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 pm

I am just starting "Under The Dome" by Stephen King.

I have decided that I am going to read the Twilight series.

Voly I liked all the Dark Tower series.... a good ending too.

Kex, the Bible minus all the begats is an awesome book. I have to say that the Mormon Bible bothered me some. Joseph Smith was a juvenile delinquent. I think he was eating magic mushrooms. :)

My neighbors across the street are Mormons. They are the nicest people I have ever met and they help me constantly. I may not believe as they do but they sure are dedicated.
Zyn wrote:Because God knows ERQ has always been a font of sensible and well-supported opinions.

Voly wrote:ASSASSINATE ALL THEM GOT-DAMN NIGGER SYMPATHIZERS

dot.
divine
divine

Postby dot. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 pm

The movie I'm thinkin of was based on a Michael Crichton book.

No spheres for the kingster.
I've got one hand in my pocket

Ay-Ze
deformed
deformed

Postby Ay-Ze » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 am

I looked it up, Sphere was written by Michael Crichton. It does look like a Stephen King book, though. Anyway, the story looks good, so I think I'll give it a go.

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 am

I've only ever read a few books by Crichton, but Prey was the only one I really liked a lot.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

Astica
divine
divine

Postby Astica » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:27 am

evilredqueen wrote:My neighbors across the street are Mormons. They are the nicest people I have ever met and they help me constantly. I may not believe as they do but they sure are dedicated.

I've always found their beliefs to be a little bit too out there, and their lifestyle is something I personally would never commit to. But I met a girl who transferred to my school back in 2006, and she seemed cool, and I remember being slightly put off her initially when I found out she was Mormon a few days later. I felt terrible, so decided to make a solid decision over whether or not this bothered me, and decided it shouldn't. Now she's one of my best friends, and all her church friends are all really nice and accepting and helpful. Its kind of sad how Mormons have the worst reputation for bible pushing, 'cause I find they always keep their judgment to themselves and let you away with being not Mormon if they know you're not interested. Its kind of like they believe that they're right for themselves, as opposed to other religions that believe they're right for everyone.

[/rant]

Elen Sila
divine
divine

Postby Elen Sila » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 am

I've been receiving visits from Jehovah's witnesses. I mostly discuss/debate theology with them. I decided to cut them off today by admitting that I'm an atheist and that I'm not interested in religion, though I did have a nice long discussion about why I'm an atheist. They'll probably keep sending me pamphlets, though.
DW wrote:anarch is more than slightly mental, he's completely fucking bonkers

Voly wrote:Do you reproduce by budding? Because if so, I'm so selling you to science.

____

pink_lemonade
damaged
damaged

Postby pink_lemonade » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 am

I got a visit from The Christian Society people whilst at my sisters, and i politely listened to them offer me pamphlets and God's love. After they left, I took my niece for a walk, and who do you think we ran into? I think, perhaps they thought she was my child, and they looked a little taken aback; i look as though i'm twelve, and my niece is two. Needless to say, there were a few awkward smile exchanges on the footpath that day.

dickwad
ueberdivine
ueberdivine

Postby dickwad » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:07 pm

how old are you in actuality?

Kex
distorted
distorted

Postby Kex » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:20 pm

ERQ wrote: Kex, the Bible minus all the begats is an awesome book. I have to say that the Mormon Bible bothered me some. Joseph Smith was a juvenile delinquent. I think he was eating magic mushrooms.

It's funny you mention shrooms, I read somewhere that some scientists ( what type I can't remember ) believe that Moses may well of been high on them when God spoke to him to tell him the 10 commandments, due to the area of land its believed to of taken place on etc. As it would of been a very common thing to eat for the people.

Which to me personally is a more probable answer than the divine word. Although i'd prefer to think he came up with it out of reason and logic :P

Esch wrote: And why the "birth of man"? Why not the birth of knowledge or something similar?

Well that would work to, its just that to me man would not really be man ( as I see it ) without the extent of knowledge said to of come from the tree.
Although i'd argue that all conscious things to a degree have the knowledge of good and evil, to a degree. As these are more inherrently to do with experience of actions upon other things imo.

Man just has a better understanding of it/cares more, which the bible says is our 'fall' but i'd say is the thing that makes us 'better', and 'more' than the 'animals' around us. Which in a sense is what I see blind faith as negating us back to.

Gah I type to much when I get going.

EDIT: I just lost the damn game!

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm pretty sure pink lemonade said she's 17.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Zyn
divine
divine

Postby Zyn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 pm

312 wrote:I looked it up, Sphere was written by Michael Crichton. It does look like a Stephen King book, though. Anyway, the story looks good, so I think I'll give it a go.

The Sphere...I may have read that. Is it about the underwater spaceship discovered with the metallic alien sphere that enhances mental powers?

pink_lemonade
damaged
damaged

Postby pink_lemonade » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 am

Pink Lemonade is indeed 17; being around 150cm tall, I get away with a child's ticket at the movies.

Ay-Ze
deformed
deformed

Postby Ay-Ze » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:51 am

But you can't see R movies.

@Zynathias: Yep, thats the one.

Voly
divine
divine

Postby Voly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:41 am

I've heard he gives you a Pandora's box at the end of the Dark Tower series, where it says to stop reading but everyone does anyway.
Astica wrote:That's probably the wankiest thing I've heard all day.

Elen wrote:If they were just bickering about politics, instead of indulging ERQ's passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing fuckassery, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Return to “General Discussion”