Re: I'M BISEXUAL

Postby Guitar_clock » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi biracial, I'm DAD

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:58 am

When you know what's coming yet you still go for it.

Spaced Ape
Grand Poo-bah of Syn's fat ass

Postby Spaced Ape » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:08 am

Guitar_clock wrote:I'M BISEXUAL.

I'M BISEXUAL

Don't I recall a close friend of yours coming out to you and being in love with you? What ever came of that?
Is there a promised land
Or am I on the journey going to nowhere?
Are the streets paved with gold
Or am I slipping on the mold that slowly grows there?
DevilDriver - Monsters of the Deep

Guitar_clock
divine
divine

Postby Guitar_clock » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:15 am

Yeah that was November of 2017. We dated for about 2 years after that. Moved out, went to college, shared a dorm together. Shared a classic breakup. It was pretty meh and depressing because I had work to do on myself. But, since then I've been pursuing straight relationships and presenting straight and sort-of unconsciously erased my bisexuality. Also, there was some internalized homophobia at play. Life is just easier if you are part of the general population's playbook. So it was a big deal to me when, this past October, I remembered who I was and came out to the people I knew. Since then I have felt more comfortable being who I am and it feels good knowing I can connect and communicate with other LGBTQ+ folks who have their own trials and tribulations. Just feels right.

I have noticed this place has had a greater percentage population than the general public of trans folk (at least two that I know of, but there could be more, out of the what, 20 ppl max we had regularly posting?). I think that's kind of interesting.

When you see LGBTQ+ people being out, they're just signaling to others who they are. Their message isn't really directed toward straight people. It's for a different audience I think. At least it is for me. You are right that it isn't that important where you put your parts, but remember there are human rights abuses related to LGBTQ+ issues around the world and in our home country of USA, so solidarity is also important. /end lecture :mrgreen:

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:08 pm

I have no problem at all with folks who are out, or come out, or talk about their sexuality. My only gripe is taking it as the centerpiece for their personality.

Same way how I find it annoying when atheists treat being an atheist as a major part of their personality. Its not that I don't understand it, I just find it immature.

I don't think you fall under that category, but there are plenty of folks I know who do. Lord knows how many "Allies" I've come across who decided to try and lump themselves into a persecuted group just so they could share a piece of the victimization pie.

IMO this attempt to throw everyone under the "LGBTQ+" blanket does more harm to the folks actually persecuted and victimized for their beliefs. Solidarity is great and all, but often times I feel we miss the forest for the trees. I've already come across discussions from people trying to decide which group is more prosecuted than the other, when the discussion should be how we can stop making it a big deal for all people. So when you see two biracial same-sex people kissing on the subway your response isn't either 'GROSS!' or 'GOOD FOR THEM!'. Its 'meh' because we've learned as a society not to give a fuck about who we fuck. Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal?

Though I will admit, Gay Pride Parades are fun af. But there's a difference between a celebration and commemoration, and reminding everyone on FB every day how much you like chicks with dicks.

(I should also note that straight folks who constantly talk about how much sex they have or who they're fucking, etc are also annoying af and immature.)
Is there a promised land

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Spaced Ape wrote:Same way how I find it annoying when atheists treat being an atheist as a major part of their personality. Its not that I don't understand it, I just find it immature.

One thing I find weird about the US is that there seem to be forms of organized atheism? Maybe it's just a fringe phenomena but it's something I don't get because that's the sort of organizational structure one tries to get rid of when leaving a church, no?

Spaced Ape wrote:So when you see two biracial same-sex people kissing on the subway your response isn't either 'GROSS!' or 'GOOD FOR THEM!'. Its 'meh' because we've learned as a society not to give a fuck about who we fuck. Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal?

I think we can all agree that society would be better off if people would simply mind their own business more often (as long as no one is harmed of course). Until we've reached this state, however, I'm afraid that some "over"-correction is necessary to speed up the process (referring to any form of discrimination, not just sexual preference).

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 pm

HeRetiK wrote:One thing I find weird about the US is that there seem to be forms of organized atheism? Maybe it's just a fringe phenomena but it's something I don't get because that's the sort of organizational structure one tries to get rid of when leaving a church, no?

Not necessarily, all atheism is at its core is the lack of belief in God/god/gods/religion. Organization by atheists, depending on said organization, may be for different purposes. American culture places a lot of weight on the structure and togetherness that being part of a church can provide. Therefor, when some lose the faith, they may still seek out that kind of unity, and so there are some atheist organizations that gather for similar purposes (be it picnics, volunteering, whatever a church might do sans religious practices). Another example would be locally the Atheist Community of Austin, which advocates for the rights and expressions of non-theists throughout the US and the world. Also where 'the Atheist Experience' (a popular public access/YouTube show where people across the world call in to debate various topics).

As to the efficacy and usefulness of such organizations, I don't really know. I have my doubts, and I don't belong to any.

HeRetiK wrote:I think we can all agree that society would be better off if people would simply mind their own business more often (as long as no one is harmed of course). Until we've reached this state, however, I'm afraid that some "over"-correction is necessary to speed up the process (referring to any form of discrimination, not just sexual preference).

That may be, but like in the words of Syndrome, "When everyone is super, no one is." It feels less like my generation and those younger are fighting for cultural change, and more like they're seeking recognition from their peers by claiming to be part of LGBTQ+. Because the simple fact is that MOST people aren't strictly gender and/or sexually specific to one type. I think THAT should be the primary focus, that almost EVERYONE is part of this group and we must learn to embrace that about our humanity. This race to the bottom of who's the most repressed I fear will only go on to alienate more people from the truth. Hell, it took me years to recognize my own bisexuality, but I never felt the need to announce to the world that I might enjoy suckin' a cute twink's dick every once in a while.
Is there a promised land

HeRetiK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeRetiK » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:21 am

Spaced Ape wrote:American culture places a lot of weight on the structure and togetherness that being part of a church can provide. Therefor, when some lose the faith, they may still seek out that kind of unity, and so there are some atheist organizations that gather for similar purposes (be it picnics, volunteering, whatever a church might do sans religious practices).

That's the part I don't get :) Centering organized social events and community structures around atheism. Then again I don't know how deeply religion permeats everything else in the US so maybe that's the only way to be part of a community without getting religion into your face all the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do appreciate politically active atheist organizations such as The Satanic Temple though. State and church don't mix well in my opinion and any counterweight is welcome.

Spaced Ape wrote:It feels less like my generation and those younger are fighting for cultural change, and more like they're seeking recognition from their peers by claiming to be part of LGBTQ+. Because the simple fact is that MOST people aren't strictly gender and/or sexually specific to one type. I think THAT should be the primary focus, that almost EVERYONE is part of this group and we must learn to embrace that about our humanity. This race to the bottom of who's the most repressed I fear will only go on to alienate more people from the truth. Hell, it took me years to recognize my own bisexuality, but I never felt the need to announce to the world that I might enjoy suckin' a cute twink's dick every once in a while.

That's part of the American discourse where I'm completely out of the loop. Or rather, I see what's going on based on US media but I have no idea what to make of it since I only get a superficial look at what seems to be a very nuanced issue. Meaning I have absolutely no idea how much repression vs self-victimization is going on and I never will unless I start living in the US (and then of course it will depend on where I would live). Policy-wise the US seem ahead of Europe though. LGBTQ+ is of course also discussed over here, but the laws are slow to change. As are the people.

I must admit I don't get the self-labeling within sub-genres of gender and sexuality though. I don't mind, it just seems to me that too specialized / granular terminology for something as blurry as gender and sexuality defeats its own purpose. Then again I don't know how much of this terminology is actually in use or just focused on by media as example of "LGBTQ+ going too far".

Spaced Ape

Postby Spaced Ape » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:46 pm

HeRetiK wrote:That's the part I don't get :) Centering organized social events and community structures around atheism. Then again I don't know how deeply religion permeats everything else in the US so maybe that's the only way to be part of a community without getting religion into your face all the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, religion strongly permeates throughout the US and its culture. Of course, there are many communities that one can be a part of outside of religion, however those tend to center around certain specific hobbies or activities. I suppose atheist organizations just fill the role that some people need to feel like they're part of something.

HeRetiK wrote:That's part of the American discourse where I'm completely out of the loop. Or rather, I see what's going on based on US media but I have no idea what to make of it since I only get a superficial look at what seems to be a very nuanced issue. Meaning I have absolutely no idea how much repression vs self-victimization is going on and I never will unless I start living in the US (and then of course it will depend on where I would live). Policy-wise the US seem ahead of Europe though. LGBTQ+ is of course also discussed over here, but the laws are slow to change. As are the people.

I must admit I don't get the self-labeling within sub-genres of gender and sexuality though. I don't mind, it just seems to me that too specialized / granular terminology for something as blurry as gender and sexuality defeats its own purpose. Then again I don't know how much of this terminology is actually in use or just focused on by media as example of "LGBTQ+ going too far".

Regarding policy-wise, a lot of it depends on where you are, like you mentioned. US is kind of weird compared to other countries in how governing works between the Federal and the State governments. Its like the EU but with less autonomy, and a stronger sense of unity across state lines. I will say, a lot of places in the US far outpace most the rest of the world (including most in Europe) when it comes to the rights and freedoms for minorities and LGBTQ+ folks. Though that's not to say they shouldn't be looking to get all the same rights and privilege's as white-cis-straight people.
Is there a promised land

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”